View Full Version : 4:2:2 via Firewire ??

Nick Jushchyshyn
March 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
So, I'm really comfortable with DV for private and commercial work, and have really been building up my compositing and CGI skills and toolset. Now, I would like to be able to expand into (or at least offer) broadcast-grade post production (compositing, CGI, etc.) services. My big concern, though, is being able to support raw, broadcast grade media. T

There are plenty of places where I could rent a deck for playback and recording, but I guess my concern is PC capture and output. Renting outboard gear on a per-job basis should be no problem, but I don't think the logistics of renting using and returning a quality capture board are so strait forward.

So...I'm wondering if I can build on my existing DV based infrastructure and pipeline at all for SD broadcast grade work.

Are there DV based cameras/decks/interfaces that support SD broadcast quality 4:2:2 compression instead of 4:1:1 that can still interface with a PC via firewire ? Maybe DVCPRO or DVCAM ?

My naive hope is that there exists some DV based, firewire enabled gear, that could accept a feed from a Beta-based or other broadcast deck via component connections, and pipe that to a PC with 4:2:2 compression as well as output back via the same basic path. This way, I could continue to use my existing Firewire capture/output gear, and just rent whatever deck I need to support a given job.

Does anything like this exist, or am I looking at having to build out a whole new post production infrastructure (capture/output card & software) to effectively support SD?

Thanks in advance.
Have fun.

Jesse Rosten
March 22nd, 2004, 04:07 PM
Try looking into Avid's Mojo setup - uncompressed video via firewire.

Jeff Donald
March 22nd, 2004, 04:08 PM
FireWire is just the pipeline, it can handle the data rate for 4:2:2 or even uncompressed formats. You'll need hardware and software to make it happen. Are you Mac or PC based?

Nick Jushchyshyn
March 22nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys.
I'm on PC.
Combustion for the video compositing.
Whole library of tools for CGI.

I guess I could go with a capture baord to go with Combustion for input/output, but my thought was that, perhaps, for not a whole lot more than a good capture board there may be a firewire enabled deck that could do the job and I could expand the utility of that investment instead of "just" getting a card.

At the same time, I'd like to "dodge" investing an whole editing system. At least for now.

Thanks again.
Have fun.

Mike Rehmus
March 22nd, 2004, 06:22 PM
A lot of the 'big' video is transfered over SDI which can move video data at 4X normal speed.

I 'think' Sony has some upper end decks that have all of the interface options. However, I don't think Sony supports DVCPro so it may take a JVC or Panasonic deck to encompass all formats.

Steve Nettleton
March 22nd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Does AJA's Io work with PCs? That supports uncompressed video with Firewire 400, SDI inputs and serial control. Their web site only mentions Macs, but I wonder if you can connect it to a PC. I'd like to know for future possibilities.

Nick Jushchyshyn
March 26th, 2004, 01:36 PM
I think BlackMagic just answered my prayers.
They seem to have lowered their prices in the last week or so and now a DeckLink SDI capture card can be had for under $300!

That pretty much wraps it up for me :)

Thanks for all the advices and ideas guys!
Have fun.

Edward Natale
March 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Be aware that there is hard drive speed requirements that need to be met in order to smoothly playback uncompressed video files, and possibly even DVCPRO 50.

I don't think standard IDE drives can handle the 50mbps of dvcpro50. Has anyone done this before?

Eddie