View Full Version : Recording on DR-HD100 without recording to the tape

Robert Rogoz
May 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
OK, I used to be able to re record to my DR-HD100 from my GY-Hd100 camera without running the tape. After the service I am not able to do so, I need to record to the tape and HDD. I looked at the manual, set everything according to it and still no luck! What am I doing wrong? Advice appreciated!

Tim Dashwood
May 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
Go into OTHERS and set the 1394 record trigger to SPLIT. This splits the REC button on the top handle to trigger just tape and the REC by the gain/WB to control just firewire recorder (DR-HD100). I think the REC button on the lens still triggers tape in SPLIT mode.

Robert Rogoz
May 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
Silly me, I set it up backwards on the DR-HD100. Thanks for the advice.-Robert

Marc Colemont
May 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM
In relationship with the original post, I tried all the modes.
But I can't let the time-code continue without tape inside.
Which is a bummer, as I had several occasions that I thought the recording was not running while the DR-HD100 was recording. The small "C" blinking or continuously ON is not enough difference while filming. I feel much more comfortable seeing a time-code running in the viewfinder.

Tim Dashwood
May 12th, 2009, 10:05 PM
FREE RUN TC will continually free run which will ensure that no two clips have the same TC.

Marc Colemont
May 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks Tim, I'll try that tomorrow.
We are filming tomorrow with a FXMotion unit Home - Furio - Remote Controlled Dolly | FX-MOTION (http://www.fx-motion.com/) Great stuff.

By the way, the SPLIT mode does indeed trigger the Tape with the REC button on the lens

Marc Colemont
May 18th, 2009, 04:25 AM
The free-run lets the time-code running indeed. But also when not recording.
I guess that's why it's called free-run...