View Full Version : Corrupted clip on P2 Card

Peter Richardson
May 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a corrupted clip on a P2 card. It's a 32GB card and was recorded on an HPX2700. It's about a 15GB file. I have tried importing through FCP, copying to desktop and then importing, and have tried importing through P2CMS. All have failed. I checked the clip out in the camera, and it says it's fine, so the "repair clip" function did not work. In FCP, the import just fails, the Finder (on Mac) says is can't read the file once it gets about 5 gigs in, and the P2CMS software says "it rolled back". Not sure what that means.

What's really strange is that on all these failed imports, transfers, etc., when the transfer fails, the card will usually spontaneously eject itself off the desktop.

There are other clips on the card and they imported fine.

Needless to say the material in that clip is extremely important, and I have to find a way to recover it.

Any suggestions would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Peter

Daniel Epstein
May 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Do you have the ability to record the HDSDI stream out of the camera? Was the Clip recorded as DVCPRO 100 or AVCIntra? Not sure why this would make a difference but worth noting. Does the 2700 mount on the desktop or are you using some other way to connect the card to the computer?

Peter Richardson
May 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
More info...

Went HDSDI from 2700, through AJAIOHD, into computer (as you suggested, Daniel). Was able to get 9:30 into the clip and then it stopped. Now I'm "rewinding" from the previous clip to that point and am actually able to rewind through the corrupted part, but when I start playing, say at 9:15, it again stops playback at 9:30. So now I'm going to try to rewind to about 9:32, and see if I can pick up recording from there. Seems there's just a little corrupted portion of the clip/card. Really strange. Especially strange that I can still rewind through this section without playback stopping.

Peter

Daniel Epstein
May 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Sounds like you are making the best of the situation. I thought solid state was supposed to solve these kinds of issues. Did something happen to cause the glitch at that point? Probably worth talking to someone at Panasonic about it.

Peter Richardson
May 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Nothing unusual when I was recording Daniel, so it seems to just be a freak occurrence.

Just used P2 Card Formatter and the card checked out OK.

I was able to recover everything (using HDSDI stream) except about 3 seconds of material. It was a good 3 seconds, but at least I got everything else (a 33 minute clip).

It seems like this really was almost a "tape hit", except on the P2 card. When I have time I will run a record loop on it and see what I get.

I've probably shot 600-700 hours on P2 and this is my first "lost frame", so not too bad.

Peter

Daniel Epstein
May 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
The problem may not be the card itself. It could have been a glitch in the camera which caused the card to get garbled info for that period of time. Still worth reporting to Panasonic and see if you can duplicate the problem.

Peter Richardson
May 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
The problem may not be the card itself. It could have been a glitch in the camera which caused the card to get garbled info for that period of time. Still worth reporting to Panasonic and see if you can duplicate the problem.

Yeah, I'm guessing it was a camera glitch. I'm going to run a test to see if I can replicate the problem.

Peter

Benoit Joossen
May 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hi, Peter

I suggest you copy the file to your Mac HDD, and use free app Treasured.
It will do a diagnostic, and allow to preview, even beyond the "rough spot" at 9:30.

Regards, BJ

Peter Richardson
May 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks Benoit. I would do this but when I attempted to transfer the file to my Mac I got an error that the file could not be read.

Peter

Glen Vandermolen
May 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
You should have kept the HPX500, Peter. She's working fine.

Peter Richardson
May 7th, 2009, 04:32 PM
You should have kept the HPX500, Peter. She's working fine.

No kidding!

Glad to hear she's still serving you well :)

Peter