View Full Version : vegas 8 - can't handle large files?

Yang Wen
May 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I'm trying to import a 5GB AVCHD MTS file into Trimmer and Vegas just crashes... Is this a known issue?

Jack Bellford
May 7th, 2009, 04:47 AM
No. I've brought large avchd files into Vegas before without issue. My guess is that you're low on memory or you have something wrong with one of your clips.

But you can try this work around for the memory issue and see if it helps:

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=648152)

Yang Wen
May 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I'm assuming Vegas is smart enough to not have to load the entire clip into memory? What is the rule of thumb for clip file size to available memory ratio?

Edit: just read the link.. hmm might be worth it to upgrade to Windows 64bit with Vegas 9...

Rich Petruccelli
May 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Had that same issue with Vegas 8. Vegas 9 seems to work ok.

Yang Wen
May 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Had that same issue with Vegas 8. Vegas 9 seems to work ok.

Rich - you beta testing vegas 9? How is compared to vegas 8 in terms of AVCHD handling?

David Wayne Groves
May 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I have loaded AVCHD files as large as 11Gig without any issues with Vegas 8.....I am running 6Gig of DDR3 memory at the moment....

Rich Petruccelli
May 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Trial version. So far so good. I'm not doing anything fancy like you guys are, but it loads some m2ts files from my video camera that ver 8 wouldn't.