View Full Version : Prospect HD 4.0 (Windows) - ISSUES

Pages : [1] 2

Simon Zimmer
May 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
On Tim's recommendation I am starting this thread to mention the issues that are coming up regarding Prospect HD 4.0 for Windows.

My setup is:
Vista 64
12GB
2 Xeon Quad Cores
Nvidia Quadro NVS 295
Prospect HD (latest beta release - ProspectHDv401b208-090504)

I am using AECS4 and PPCS4. I am not experiencing any issues with AECS4 and Cineform. Renders fine and works great.

PPCS4 is another story.

I get many ImporterProcessServer errors while working on the timeline.

I also get them when exporting via Adobe Media Encoder.

Any ideas?

Simon

Matt Vanecek
May 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Vista 64
12GB
i7 920
nVidia 9600GT/2GB

PHD 4.0.1 (build 208)

Same story on the PPCS4 as Simon. ImporterServerProcess occasionally crashes. Sometimes when I'm not even doing anything (i.e., walked away from computer leaving PPCS4 open on my project).

AME seems to get the ImporterServerProcess crash every time, when exporting to CFHD using either the direct CFHD export (added in build 208) or Microsoft AVI with CFHD coded. I'm currently exporting to DV, and have hopes of a successful export as it's been rendering for 6:20 so far on a 1:45 hh:mm video (although I didn't use unsharp masks, but did use some color matching between cameras...but 95% CFHD 32-bit effects). I'll know in about 4.5 hours the success/failure of the export, so maybe it'll be tomorrow before I actually see it...

Thanks,
Matt

Simon Zimmer
May 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Strange that AECS4 works so well and PPCS4 has SO MANY problems.

Sighhhhhhhhh!

Simon

Rick Casillas
May 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Simon,

I have the exact same problem.

AECS4 works just fine, while PPCS4 has ImporterServerProcess errors all over the place, timeline and the media encoder.

I use XP SP3

Rick

Simon Zimmer
May 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Sh**********t!

I spoke too soon. :((((

I am getting the render to fail in AECS4 by using Prospect HD.

I have a google earth video compressed as wmv in the timeline in AECS4.

When I try to render to cineform codec, the render always stops after two seconds. IT does not provide me with an error message.

In AECS3, I can render the same google earth video without any problems.

This is really getting frustrating.

I am starting to think I SHOULD HAVE stayed at CS3. I was warned and did not listen!

Damn!

Simon

Robert Young
May 8th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Yess... This is why I still have my XP/CS3/PHD3 system online.
Right now my new system (Vista64/12GB/Intel i7) seems to be nothing but beta software: PPro CS4, PHD 4, and maybe even Vista 64 as well.
It's gonna take a while!!
Tho, to be fair, I should say that PPro CS4 seems to be fast and stable when using the native formats (mp4, avchd, etc), but since that's not my workflow it doesn't really help.

Simon Zimmer
May 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I still have faith that a solution is VERY close!

Cineform has a great workflow but what a shame that PPCS4 seems to be so buggy 8 months after its release.

Simon

Glenn Babcock
May 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I wonder if the ImportServerProcess problem is isolated to certain OS's, versions, etc.?

I've had this crash so frequently I reluctantly uninstalled Prospect. I can't edit and I can't render. It's really a show stopper. :-(

Cineform team, any updates on this? My credit card has cooled a bit.

Thanks,
Glenn

Simon Zimmer
May 10th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Same here!

I just reinstalled my OS because I thought there might be a conflict between PPCS3 and PPCS4 installed on the same machine. Probably not but I need to eliminate any potential issues.

Gotta get this to work PRONTO.

Simon

Simon Zimmer
May 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
After reinstalling everything and NOT installing PPCS3 and just using CS4 software, I still get the same ImporterServerProcess errors.

It does not matter if it is Adobe Media Encoder or PPCS4, it happens in both.

I have yet to get this error in AECS4. That still seems VERY stable.

Any ideas Cineform?

Simon

Matt Vanecek
May 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
When exporting from CS4 using the 209 build, I have the following experiences. The clips have all been adjusted in First Light.

Using the CFHD Exporter, exporting takes about 5 times the length of the clip to fully export.
Using the CFHD Exporter, the audio is either missing, or all constant-level noise (a buzz).
Using the CFHD Exporter, I did get one RemoteImporterProcessServer crash, which caused Premiere Pro to crash also.
Using the Microsoft AVI, with Cineform codec, exporting takes about 1.75 times the length of the clip.
Using the Microsoft AVI, with Cineform codec, audio appears to export correctly.

It appears that the Cineform exporter is unusable for me in this build, but I can still export to Cineform codec using Microsoft AVI. I'm probably losing timecode or something when I do that.

Thanks,
Matt

Simon Zimmer
May 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I had my first successful export today. I tried the cineform avi export and it worked.

There was no crash. However, if I try to export in any other codec, adobe media encoder crashes.

Simon

Rick Casillas
May 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I will give build 209 a try.

Thanks,

Rick

Glenn Babcock
May 11th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I'm using 209, same issues. Tried the Cineform AVI in AME, it crashed. I couldn't even encode a 1:12 clip!

Simon Zimmer
May 11th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I only tried it once with cineform avi and it worked.

Maybe I just got lucky.

My new "temporary" work flow is creating everything in AECS4 with Prospect HD on my desktop and putting everything on my laptop which has PPCS3 with Prospect HD on it. This way I can export it.

Sighhh!

Not the greatest but it works for now until EVERYTHING gets fixed with Cineform and Adobe

Simon

Bruce Gruber
May 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Hi guys I noticed you refered to build 209 where did that corm from ?
Thanks Bruce

Glenn Babcock
May 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM
See the "New Mac and PC builds posted (5/8/2009)" thread. It's an update for FirstLight, doesn't seem to address the Premiere Pro issues.

Bruce Gruber
May 11th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks Glen I am not sure how too keep track of everything. I have. Been watching the main beta thread?

Glenn Babcock
May 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Bruce, I've been watching ALL of the threads! :-) I keep hoping to find an update from CineForm on the PPro CS4/ProspectHD v4 issues.

It would be good to know if there may be a short-term fix, or if it will take some time to resolve. I'm fine either way, but I have a project to get out. Prospect has the potential to really help me finish this one, if the bugs get sorted.

If there was a possibility of a short-term fix I'd wait for it. If not then I need to proceed without it, but that will take a lot of work. If CineForm would give us the status I could make an informed decision.

David Newman, can you please give us an update?

Regards,
Glenn

Simon Zimmer
May 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I agree. An update on the PPCS4 and Prospect HD issues would be great!

Simon

Bruce Gruber
May 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I agree,

I do not mind testing but if someone would let us know that they have some idea of whats wrong and a complete fix will not be out before Adobe new patch. Thats fine I will contine to test FL!!! I am excited about that too just not at the moment!!

I would really like this importserver error to be corected. I really do not care about the spped right now because I know that will be fixed too..

Glenn Babcock
May 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I think FL is a fantastic product, but without the PPro fix it doesn't really do anything for me.

Simon Zimmer
May 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have not even bothered with FL until I get the PPCS4 working.

Simon

James Park
May 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Have any of you guys tried using the latest build on XP 32bit?

I had the same problems like most of you while using Vista 64, I could import to Premiere CS4 (4.0.1) with no issue but had ImporterProcessServer crash at random and also crashing almost everytime I try to render out in Adobe Media Encoder, whether Cineform or converting to another format from Cineform. Not sure what the root cause of the problem. Curiously, last official build ProspectHD 3.49 has no issues converting files in Adobe Media Encoder CS4 under Vista 64.

So I got out my old intact had drive from a previous build which had XP3 32bit SP3, installed Propspect HD (b209) and to my surprise it worked a whole lot better.

Created a new project in Premiere CS4 (using preset guildelines in techblog), imported multiple clips, cut, paste, scrubbed them all a good length of the way everything worked the way you'd expect. Also when I went to export compiled project out, it also worked without any issue from Premier to Media Encoder to finalized video. Also when I tried converting cineform avi to any other format under Adobe Media Encoder it worked as well without problems.

(The only issue I did notice is when I open a saved Cineform project in CS4 by double clicking its .prproj file, it opens the project with all the Cineform clips with a red bar on top -requiring rendering- in the timeline. However if I start up Premiere first, then open the project within Premiere, it opens up normally with the clips having a yellow bar on top. This is minor issue which I assume will be fixed when real time engine is installed.)

Here are my specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe v2
Memory: 12GB RAM 6x 2GB sticks of DDR3 (Under XP limited to ~3GB)
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 260 Core 216
Add on: Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card
Storage: 1 TB for O/S/apps, 1TB scratch, 2x 1TB RAID 0
O/S: Windows Vista 64 Ultimate SP1 (& Windows XP SP3)

This is a new system so I'm kinda bumbed that with more memory, faster multithreaded CPU, and 64 bit O/S, it should be better but there all these problems cropping up everywhere. The transition from 32bit - 64bit hasnt been smooth at all. *not just with Cineform but overall. Everything else seems to work rock solid, but only with video/editing apps (i.e. Vegas, et other) I'm seeing problems. (incompatible codecs? 32bit/64bit?)

I dont have access to 32bit Vista or 64bit XP so I dont know how it runs there. I figure I throw this out there to see if anyone else is seeing similar results.

I have yet to try the latest build and capturing video with Cineform with Blackmagic card. Blackmagic Design recently updated their drivers/firmware for CS4 support so it'll be interesting to see how that will work with Cineform/PP4/Vista 64. I'll post my results later.

Glenn Babcock
May 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I tried it on 32-bit Vista, still had the ImportServerProcess errors, so it's not just 32-bit vs 64. Interesting that it works in XP though...

Anyone using XP 64-bit?

David Taylor
May 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Guys, I'm violating my person and Chris Hurd's demands not to double-post, but I'm doing so this one time because there is some redundant discussion going on in this thread and the much longer earlier thread on a similar subject.

***Begin double post

Fixing the CS4-PPro issues are our highest priority. We're working hard on it, but we haven't had new information to report yet, hence our relative silence lately. Please stay tuned....

*** End double post

In the mean time a different team has been working on First Light which is part of the v4 update. Because some customers have remained on CS3, but want First Light, we will probably take v4 live this week, even if there are some niggles remaining with CS4. More later....

Michael Panfeld
May 11th, 2009, 11:14 PM
OK, so I installed CS4 and the Build 209 tonight and then opened an existing CS3 project. It was a complete failure in four respects.

First, without changing anything (As the project was already finished), I tried to export. As soon as I touched File /Export /Media Premiere crashed. I've never had Premiere crash before so seeing the error report form was somewhat of a shock.

Second, I tried to render the video previews. It chugged along until it hit a cineform clip. Then it stopped. I canceled and tried to render again. Nothing. It will not render the Cineform clips. Nor will it go past them

Third, the clips that it did render now appear to have been squished down to the lower third of the screen. The rest of the screen is black. Moreover, the image is extremely distorted as if seen through an anamorphic projector lens (twice). Strangely, the audio is perfect. However, although this particular clip (within the 8 min movie) is green indicating it has rendered, the squished lower third image goes completely to black part way though. I note that this is actually an AEP file imported from after effects.

Lastly, every time I open the project in Premiere, it re generates the peak files.

This project worked perfectly in CS3 with Prospect HD 3.4. Absolutely a complete failure in cs4.

XP Pro 32 bit
ASUS p5e
Quad Core 3.0 9650 Yorkfield chip
4 Gig DDR3 RAM
GeForce 9800 GX2

David Taylor
May 11th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Michael, you cannot open a CineForm CS3 project in CS4 at all - period. There is no CineForm RT engine in PHD v4 yet.

Michael Panfeld
May 12th, 2009, 01:27 AM
David, that does not make sense. I must have some kind of magic computer, because the one project I have opened, and the one which has given me the issues I have described, is a CS3 Cineform project. It opens, everything is in the timelines, I can choppily scrub through it, I even got the audio to play.

I tried to open a new project in CS4 and got nowhere. The entire Premiere window was grey below the title bar down to the bottom of the page. There was no timeline, no effects pane, no preview window, no sequence bin, nada. Its as if every panel was undocked and closed or moved off screen.

Very strange

Robert Young
May 12th, 2009, 01:56 AM
David
I'm having Michael's experience.
Opening several old CS3 PHD 3.xx projects in CS4 is no sweat. The timeline has the entire edit, yellow render bar, previews just fine, audio is fine.
I am only having problems importing new HDLink v 4 converted clips, particularly EX1 sourced footage. On import of CF clips I get red render bar, audio problems, if I render I get a vertically squished image (about 1/3 of proper height).
Summary- old PHD v 3.xx CS3 projects seem to load up and to work in CS4, only new PHD v 4 stuff does not.
I'm Vista 64/i7/12GB.
It's all crazy!!!
PS- This system has never had PHD 3.xx, or CS3 installed on it, only CS4 & PHD 4.

Michael Panfeld
May 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
OK, so late last night I remembered that there was an Adobe update in December (4.01). I updated the CS4 suite this AM and it made a night and day difference. The timeline opened up just fine. The rendered parts were not squished anymore. The preview and program windows scrubbed the clips. Audio playback was just fine.

I attempted to export to Encore and it didn't blow up! I left for work as it was rendering. I noted that the 4 cores were running in the 80-90% range. Hopefully when I get back, it will be done. I say that because the estimated time was over 2 hours and getting larger (In CS3, this only took about 27 minutes using the same settings - 2 pass VBR and the highest quality and bit rates).

One annoying thing was that it still is generating the peak files each time a project is opened.

Gary Brun
May 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Yes I have the problems with peak files.
All my adobe software and cineform software are the latest builds.
I'm sure when adobe release their update sometime this month then cineform can fix the realtime engine.

As my previous posts I am finding the latest cineform alot more stable.

Gil Reitsma
May 13th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Went back to PPCS3 with PHD 4, but the clips won't import.

Converted mt2 files in HDlink but will not import.

Removed PHD 4 and reinstalled PHD 3 and the same clips imported ok.

Puzzelling as I was hoping to use First Light in CS3 as David mention previously I think that this was the workflow they are concentrating on. Making PHD 4 and First Light to work with PPCS3

Gil

David Newman
May 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Gil,

CS3 is working fine with the new betas. You likely have an install issue with components going in the wrong place. Premiere uses registery setting to inform plug-ins where to install, it is easily messed up. You can manual setup the install path at these registry locaitons (showing there typical defaults for CS3.)

For 64-bit OSes
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Premiere Pro\CurrentVersion]
"Plug-InsDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Common\\Plug-ins\\CS3\\MediaCore"

For 32-bit OSes
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Premiere Pro\CurrentVersion]
"Plug-InsDir"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Common\\Plug-ins\\CS3\\MediaCore"

Gil Reitsma
May 14th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Thanks David

I removed PHD3 and installed PHD4 as per your instructions

Converted m2t file to avi with HDlink. But still will not import into timeline in CS3

I will give up until official release

Gil

Bruce Gruber
May 14th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hi Dave I am having the same exact problem. Not sure what you mean to set them manually? Via the registery?

Can you please explain..

I was trying the same thing Gil was trying.

Bruce Gruber
May 14th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Hi Dave,

If you are saying that this path shoukd be in my regestry for 64/vist it is there?

For 64-bit OSes
"Plug-InsDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Common\\Plug-ins\\CS3\\MediaCore"

Bruce

Glenn Babcock
May 14th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Guys,

Yes, that's right. You need to check to see if this key is in your registry. If it's not then create it, and reinstall PHD4. You can verify that it installed correctly by opening the C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS3\MediaCore folder and looking for the CFHD_*_Importer files.

I had the same issue with the CS4 install and this fixed it.

Regards,
Glenn

David Newman
May 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hi Dave,

If you are saying that this path shoukd be in my regestry for 64/vist it is there?

For 64-bit OSes

Bruce

Check your registry to see if the path matches, and make changes as needed.

Bruce Gruber
May 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM
calle me stupid but the path is in the reg. but the importer files are not there. They are in CS4 but not cs3 and I can not get any files to import into cs3.

Bruce Gruber
May 14th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I tried copying the ones from CS4 mediacore folder but that did not work.

Glenn Babcock
May 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM
OK, as much as I didn't want to I decided to try PHD4 with PPCS3. So far it's been a much better experience, though my multi-camera previews are somewhat choppy.

I already had PPCS4 and PHD4 installed, so I installed PPCS3 then reinstalled PHD4. Import, presets, effects, export all seem to be fine.

I checked my registry and MediaCore folders. I confirmed the registry key is as stated. The contents of MediaCore are different for PPCS3 and PPCS4:

PPCS3 (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS3\MediaCore):
- im-CFHD_File_Import.prm

PPCS4 (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore):
- CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm
- CFHD_File_Exporter.prm
- CFHD_MOV_Importer.prm
- CFRenderProc.exe

Regards,
Glenn

Bruce Gruber
May 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM
My 2 media core folders are showing the same thing for CS3. And CS4 as you have listed. When I go and start a new project in cs3 and go to import Select Cf. Avi the import box comes up bit just sits there.

It works fine with Cf 3.4? version CF 4.0 build 209 will not import CF files

Marty Hudzik
May 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM
My 2 media core folders are showing the same thing for CS3. And CS4 as you have listed. When I go and start a new project in cs3 and go to import Select Cf. Avi the import box comes up bit just sits there.

It works fine with Cf 3.4? version CF 4.0 build 209 will not import CF files

I'm pretty sure that you should not be seeing all of the newer CS4 plugins in the CS3 mediacore folder. Because the API has changed the plugins have been re-written for CS4 and will not work with CS3. I am not a programmer but I can say that I had numerous issues with CS3 until David told me to delete the CFHD importer file since it is for CS4.

CS3 has been as stable as ever since that day, and (knock on wood) i have stopped getting the [src-time...} error messages I was getting with CF 3.4 and CS3.

Bruce Gruber
May 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hi Marty
I am sorry I meant to say my floders have the files in them like Glenn has listed for his folder contents. I would type it all but it would take forever my iPhone. I am at my day job now.
Glenn Is this working for you on old CF files or the ones you just re captured?

Glenn Babcock
May 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Bruce, I'm new to CF so all my CF files are new. I converted HDV, DV and AVCHD sources with HDLink and they all import. Currently running build 309.

Marty Hudzik
May 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
My bad....I misunderstood your post. Still, when I install build 209 it installs one file from the CS4 plugins into my CS3 folder and messes everything up. My reg is pointing to cs4 so i don't understand why this happens but deleting that one file from cs3 fixes all the hangs when importing files so far.

Hi Marty
I am sorry I meant to say my floders have the files in them like Glenn has listed for his folder contents. I would type it all but it would take forever my iPhone. I am at my day job now.
Glenn Is this working for you on old CF files or the ones you just re captured?

Bruce Gruber
May 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I will check she I get home was it the I am child CH importer file?

Bruce Gruber
May 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Hi Marty what files do you have in your mediacore folder for cs3

Marty Hudzik
May 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'm at my day job too where I am running CS3 without Cineform Support so I cannot check until this evening.