View Full Version : EX1 and SDblade 35MM adaptor

Matthew Hurley
June 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I am happy to report on my use of this fine 35MM adaptor. The bokeh both in controlled low light and exterior direct sun light is bar none the best i have seen from a product @ this price point. The guys @ Shoot35 have got it figured out for sure.

The control of depth of field was spot on. I never had an artifact appear in any of my sunlit exteriors. Meaning seeing the grain on the spinning ground glass. I had my concerns as past experiences with older models of 35MM adaptors tended to lose around 2-3 stops.

The SDblade's light loss was 1/4 to maybe 1/2 stop. If you entertain getting a 35MM adaptor for your EX1, by all means go with one that has a spinning ground glass.

I used the SDblade on a 3 day talking head studio shoot. Primes were all older Nikons. Apertures on the primes were always wide open, i.e. 1.4 to F 2. EX1 lens was set wide open @ 1.9.

Now what really surprised me, was when i shot outside under our june sun here in Georgia. Shoot was on a fast moving river. Nikon primes set to wide open. EX1 ND2 dialed in. EX1 lens set anywhere between F 2.8-F-11. Shooting in 720p mode @ 60FPS.

I still had that wonderful depth of field control and bokeh.

Whatever manufacturer you go with when it comes to these 35MM adaptors, the spinning optic seems to be the best option from a end users point of view. Those that sell the "Wobbling" optic do come with a downside when used in brightly lit exterior shooting.

Dean Harrington
June 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Love my SGBlade ... now, to get the new acromat for the EX3 and the new Roto 3.

Matthew Hurley
June 7th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Love my SGBlade ... now, to get the new acromat for the EX3 and the new Roto 3.Dean. It is to my understanding, the June 26th shippment of SDblades will have a new acromat included in the EX1 config kit.

The ROTOrazor2,s bokeh was rather (rich) for my taste. I have been told the ROTOrazor3 will have an even better grain-less structure than the ROTOrazor1.

Not only was it extremely easy to mount and adjust the SDblade on the EX1, but changing the ROTOrazor was a breeze.

Now all i need is this new SmallHD monitor and i will be one happy camper. Its a crying shame Sony did such a poor job IMO on the EX1,s eyepiece.

I would rather they had gone with a nice high res black and white affair. A eyepiece on an HD camera is super critical. Wonder what sony was thinking when they went with what is on the cameras now.

Dean Harrington
June 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Dean. It is to my understanding, the June 26th shippment of SDblades will have a new acromat included in the EX1 config kit.

The ROTOrazor2,s bokeh was rather (rich) for my taste. I have been told the ROTOrazor3 will have an even better grain-less structure than the ROTOrazor1.

Not only was it extremely easy to mount and adjust the SDblade on the EX1, but changing the ROTOrazor was a breeze.

Now all i need is this new SmallHD monitor and i will be one happy camper. Its a crying shame Sony did such a poor job IMO on the EX1,s eyepiece.

I would rather they had gone with a nice high res black and white affair. A eyepiece on an HD camera is super critical. Wonder what sony was thinking when they went with what is on the cameras now.
The hood sock that goes over the LCD is very good. It'll do the trick ... yes, the viewfinder on the EX1 is crap!