View Full Version : Can't use HDV camera for monitor transcoding or as a tape deck?

Tom Koveleskie
June 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM
OK you can capture HDV video from the HD110 camera, but you can't use it to transcode to a monitor, or record your timeline back to tape? Is this correct? So I would need to get a Black magic IO card for monitoring my NLE timeline output, and a tape deck to record projects back to tape? Does the firewire protocol only work to capture from the camera?

Shaun Roemich
June 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Correct about not being able to view HDV timelines looped through the camera, like DV, requiring an external monitoring solution.

Regarding going back to tape, FCP will do a Print to Tape back to the camera. Not sure what editor you're using.

Tom Koveleskie
June 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks Shaun. Just as I thought. I a using Grass Valley Edius as my NLE. I tried to print back to the camera, but I only got an error message. I don't know if Edius is capable of printing back to HDV.

Jack Walker
June 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
OK you can capture HDV video from the HD110 camera, but you can't use it to transcode to a monitor, or record your timeline back to tape? Is this correct? So I would need to get a Black magic IO card for monitoring my NLE timeline output, and a tape deck to record projects back to tape? Does the firewire protocol only work to capture from the camera?
If I remember correctly, some PAL cameras can record back to tape, and some can't.

I believe the HD110E cannot record. However, the HD111E can record and costs more money due to taxes on video recording devices.