View Full Version : American Express Commercial now online

John Mejia
March 29th, 2004, 02:33 PM
The american express commercial with Jerry Senfield and Superman is now online. It has one full episode and a cool behind the scenes feature. I always get juiced when I see an XL1 rigged up like a pro.

http://www.jerry.digisle.tv/room.html

Adam Burtle
March 29th, 2004, 03:19 PM
wow! hard to believe that is minidv. the DOF and lighting look spectacular.

Imran Zaidi
March 29th, 2004, 03:41 PM
That is one of the funniest commercials I've seen in years!

Ken Tanaka
March 29th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Our own Charles Papert did the camera work with an XL1s on those pieces. (You can see him in a few of the behind-the-scenes feature shots.)

Watch here for more material on this soon.

Dylan Couper
March 29th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Doesn't Charles also play the guy in the blue tights and red cape? The resemblence is kind of striking...

Joe Lloyd
March 29th, 2004, 09:58 PM
That was the most entertaining ad/commercial I've watched. Well done...

Rick Bravo
March 29th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Hysterical!

Don Berube
March 29th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Edited on a PowerMac with Apple's Final Cut Pro.

http://www.jerry.digisle.tv/uniform_lan_quicktime.html

Nice.

- don

Nathan Gifford
March 30th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Yep, its pretty good.

Hugh DiMauro
March 30th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Boy would I love to see Seinfeld come back on the tube. Get the whole gang back together. It's interesting to watch and compare the first episodes to the last episodes and see how more developed the characters have become. OH, and yes, the XL1s footage was amazing in this commercial. Don't say XL1s to Bravo, though. It's like a naughty word.

Keith Loh
March 30th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Finally saw this ..FUNNY .. and it looks beautiful.

Peter Moore
March 31st, 2004, 06:52 AM
That's classic!

However it has that typical red-shift that the XL1s always has.

Jim Giberti
March 31st, 2004, 10:50 AM
<<That's classic!

However it has that typical red-shift that the XL1s always has.
>>

I'm guessing with the client, budget, quality of the DP and post production facilities, that this was color corrected beyond anything you'd see as an inherent color shift.

Ramon Georges
March 31st, 2004, 12:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's a mini35 attached to the front of the XL1.

Keith Loh
March 31st, 2004, 12:35 PM
Yes, it is. Charles had a very lengthy post about this a few months back. We were all looking forward to seeing it.

Imran Zaidi
March 31st, 2004, 12:39 PM
Since you're new in these parts and probably missed the background, Ramon, here's the link to the two-part article written by Charles Papert, who worked the shoot and is also a moderator here.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article84.php

Welcome to the forum!

Derrick Begin
March 31st, 2004, 01:53 PM
Psyche! I just saw it too, not because I knew that Charles Papert was involved, but my friend played the DVD thief foiled by Superman.

An excellent talent!

Cheers, All!

Don Berube
March 31st, 2004, 02:21 PM
I understand that Charles also posed as the body double for the Superman character for all of the flying scenes.

- don

Derrick Begin
March 31st, 2004, 02:30 PM
I saw cables!

Thanks for the informative article, Charles!

Charles Papert
April 8th, 2004, 01:58 AM
sigh...I'm travelling and can't seem to get to high speed access to watch the damn thing. Hopefully it will be on for a while. I hear they are running promos for it on prime time? Nice!

Jim Giberti
April 8th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Well Charles, here's a moment of Mini35 synchronicity. In a meeting last week where I was presenting the first round concepts of the Olympic documentary I'm producing, I was talking about the format/look of the piece and was about to (while not getting too esoteric) describe the technology we'd be using to shoot.

Before I did, one of the principles literally started raving about the new Amex Seinfeld campaign, and how excited they were to be able to use parts of the Olympic project on the website as we celebrate the 25th anniversary of the '80 games and the "Miracle".

My partner Kristen looked at me like, "well how's that for a setup", as i said, 'well funny you should mention that new campaign'... I went on to explain that a friend (hope you don't mind the internet familiarity <g>) DPed that project and how he used the very same system as we're shooting with. That made everyone happy without having to get into technical explanations.