View Full Version : steady cam for sony fx 1000

Dror Levi
June 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Does anyone has a steady cam preference for the sony fx 1000?

Zach Love
June 25th, 2009, 11:04 PM
You could fly on a Merlin, but you'll need a gym membership. A bunch of the Merlin demos are using the Z1 & I don't think the FX1000 is that much different in weight.

If you want to fly with more ease get the arm & vest, or upgrade to the Steadicam Pilot.

Of you could look into the Glidecams, Varizooms, etc. although I don't think they are near the quality, ease of use and user support of a true Steadicam.

Jeff Harper
July 5th, 2009, 08:37 AM
The pilot (2-10lbs) would be a better choice if your running lights and a 970 battery, as the camcorder is near the weight limit of the Merlin (up to (5lbs I think).

Ethan Cooper
July 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
The pilot (2-10lbs) would be a better choice if your running lights and a 970 battery, as the camcorder is near the weight limit of the Merlin (up to (5lbs I think).

7lbs with the metal gimbal if I remember correctly.

Jeff Harper
July 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Steadicam | Merlin Camera Stabilizing System - with Arm and Vest (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/493331-REG/Steadicam__Merlin_Camera_Stabilizing_System.html#specifications)

See specs.

Ethan Cooper
July 6th, 2009, 07:18 AM
See specs from Tiffen's own site:
Steadicam Merlin Arm and Vest - Tiffen (http://www.steadicam.com/merlinarmvest.html)

I'll save you some time if you'd like:

"The original Merlin used two-ball-bearings for the vertical axis, and low-friction bushings for the remaining two horizontal axes. The results were excellent but the maximum payload was limited to 5.5 lbs.

The new Merlin Six-Ball-Bearing Gimbal employs aluminum and stainless-steel construction and precision, flanged, extended-race ball bearings in all three axes, which yields higher payloads and superb angular isolation. This robust new, all-metal gimbal, together with the Merlin Arm and Vest, now permits your Merlin to fly cameras weighing up to 7.5 lbs (3.4 kg)."

Jeff Harper
July 6th, 2009, 07:21 AM
B and H is clearly wrong.

Charles Papert
July 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM
They re-used the old specs apparently.

Jeff Harper
July 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Yes, the metal gimble increases its capacity. Almost bought one used and only knew of the old specs so I passed, unfortunately.

Zach Love
July 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM
If you think just holding the camera gets heavy... it is nothing compared to holding the camera on a Merlin.

Very possible, just start "flying" a 10lbs weight around your back yard as if you were holding a Merlin, you'll get tired pretty fast, but after some practice it could become easy if you are up to the challenge.

Otherwise get something with an arm & vest.