View Full Version : Reference Monitor - Capture Card

Bill Schoaf
June 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Still in the process of our HD Editing System Build (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attend-world-premiere/234882-hd-editing-system-build.html) and had a question about the third monitor setup. The two reqular monitors are the Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP and the GPU is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295. Even though I am still a fan of for CRT's, the LCD's are getting better. Two of which, the Panasonic BT-LH1760 and the Sony LMD-2050W we have access to. We use PP CS4. For the Reference Monitor and HD-SDI, I assume we need a PCI-e card. I have been reading and have seen some thoughts on the Matrox cards with PP, wondering some thoughts on the following and any suggestions:

Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme
DeckLink Studio
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Thanks all!

Gary Brun
June 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I have just purchased the Matrox mino mxo with harware encoder and can turn my Samsung HD LCD into a broadcast monitor. I also purchased the Spyder 3 Elite....that works grate to calibrate my monitors.
Will let you know when it arrives next week:
One thing though the drivers for Matrox Mxo for PC will be out in July.

Taky Cheung
June 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM
The Matrox RT.X2 full card also can use any 1920x1200 DVI monitor as 1:1 pixel review in real time through Premiere.

I have this card for sale

L.A. Color Shop | Online Photo/Video Gear Shop (http://lacolorshop.com/products/item.asp?id=rtx2)

Bill Schoaf
June 21st, 2009, 08:02 PM
The Matrox RT.X2 full card also can use any 1920x1200 DVI monitor as 1:1 pixel review in real time through Premiere.

I have this card for sale

L.A. Color Shop | Online Photo/Video Gear Shop (http://lacolorshop.com/products/item.asp?id=rtx2)

Thanks Taky...but I don't believe it is compatible with my:

-ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer LGA 1366 Intel X58
-Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366
-Nvidia GeForce GTX 295

I'll post over at Matrox and check it out but I'm guessing no-no since it's not on their site.

That is why I was looking at the Blackmagic cards - mainly for the reference monitor/capture. Our system system is pretty fast and I have read a lot of issues with the Matrox RT.X2 and CS4.

Devin Termini
June 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
My experience with AJA products has been fantastic.

For your setup you may want to consider the Xena card. Also, if you ever plan to move to MAC hardware - just plug in the Xena card and it becomes a Kona card by installing the mac drivers. A nice engineer from AJA told me that at NAB.

Gary Brun
June 25th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I know have the matrox mini working fine on my i7.
It takes a lot of load of the processors.

The one thing though if you work with PAL as I do... the instructional manual is a load of rubbish when it comes to calibrating your Broadcast monitor.

All I need now is the drivers for the HD max compressor and I'm all set :-)

Bill Schoaf
June 26th, 2009, 01:11 PM
My experience with AJA products has been fantastic.

For your setup you may want to consider the Xena card. Also, if you ever plan to move to MAC hardware - just plug in the Xena card and it becomes a Kona card by installing the mac drivers. A nice engineer from AJA told me that at NAB.

Thanks Devin...with the Matrox RT.X2, from what I have seen, either people love it with PP or hate it. Since our rig is pretty fast, the real-time benefits that the RT.X2 might provide maybe over kill (especially if we have compatibility issues with the mobo, etc.).

Which brings me back to the Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme & the AJA XENA. The XENA LH is around $250.00 more than the HD Extreme. Most of the posts regarding AJA have been positive. Both cards offer HD-SDI. I may have to run a comparison on both and more importantly how they preform with Premiere CS4. Most of our footage is shot using the Panny AG-HPX500.