View Full Version : Unable to Import P2 with Mac OS 10.5.7

Scott Ippolito
July 20th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Hello,

I am working on a documentary in Rwanda with a Sony EX1 and a Panasonic HVX200. I've worked with the HVX extensively and never had any real issues with P2 ingestion. We were able to import the first two cards using our Duel Adaptor although the whole setup seemed a little more temperamental then usual. Unfortunately, now we are unable to get the Laptop to even recognize the Duel Adaptor.

Our computer setup is a new MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 Gigs of RAM and Mac OS 10.5.7

As I said, the really strange thing is that we were able to offload the first two P2 cards, but then it all went south. The computer doesn't even recognize the Duel Adaptor anymore.

Here is what we have tried so far.

1. Uninstalled SxS drivers.
2. Installed latest P2 Drivers.
3. Removed 2 gigs of RAM from laptop.
4. We have 2 Duel Adaptors and have tried both.

Currently, we are using the camera to offload the cards via USB. However, this has been a really bad compromise given our subject matter. We are shooting reconciliation meetings between perpetrators and victims of the '94 genocide. These meeting are charged with emotion and can go on for hours. Being forced to use the HVX as a $5000 P2 transfer device is causing us to miss a lot of important stuff.

I've sent a query to Jan Crittenden at Panasonic and the folks at Duel Adaptor. Does anyone else have any thoughts.

Scott

TingSern Wong
July 20th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Sounds like the MacBook Pro's Express Slot is faulty. You have another MacBook Pro to test?

Scott Ippolito
July 20th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Thank you TingSern Wong

I'm not sure if the express slot could be faulty because we are still able to import Sony SxS cards with no problem. I'm wondering if the 220 voltage was able to surge through the computer and fry both of the Duel Adaptors. Is there anything in them that is fryable?

Haven't tried on another MacBook, but maybe we'll run into someone who has one.

Tom Klein
July 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Try another Duel adapter, there are many threads about its useability. At the price point of the duel, and seeing as your in a remote location, maybe you should have had another adapter as a back up. OR, just use a windows lappy with PC slot to off load...
I agree camera off loading is a pain, If it was faster (like 2-4gig / min) then it would not be a time waster.

Chers
Tom k

TingSern Wong
July 20th, 2009, 07:31 PM
You power the notebook through the AC adaptor, right? The voltage coming into your Mac is probably 12V to 15V DC - and there is no way for 220V AC to get in. The Mac will be the first one to get fried if that's the case.

In Africa? I am sorry - there are limits to getting spares there to test. Don't think there is anything wrong with the RAM - has nothing to do with this issue at all.

Gary Nattrass
July 21st, 2009, 03:07 AM
I got a duel adaptor but I have never been able to make it work with my MBP 17" running 10.5.6
I now have a $200 G4 powerbook and it works just fine as a P2 dump station to firewire drives.
I am not very happy about the express slot in the MBP as it never seems to work right no matter what type of interface card I try in it.

Tom Chartrand
July 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm seconding Tom Klein's suggestion. A colleague and myself both had duel adapters go bad and it simply appeared as though the OS wasn't recognizing them. The Duel drivers are in the OS 10.5.
Good Luck!

Tom Klein
July 24th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I'm seconding Tom Klein's suggestion. A colleague and myself both had duel adapters go bad and it simply appeared as though the OS wasn't recognizing them. The Duel drivers are in the OS 10.5.
Good Luck!

You may try to see if the Operating system sees the Duel's "Cardbus Bridge" via your System Proflier..and if the "driver" is installed as well.
Pic attached of one of my PC card tests in my Intel Macpro-
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachment.php?attachmentid=13251&stc=1&d=1248417733
You should see something like this.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au