View Full Version : Ideas for the next generation HMC150

Paul Cascio
July 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Now that I've had my 150 for about 6 weeks, I have some ideas that I would love to see incorporated into the next version. What feature and improvements would you like to see?

1. Line in - can't believe there is no way to input a signal

2. USB keyboard input - entering metadata is all but impossible right now. How about allowing a USB keyboard for metadata input.

3. Improved LCD - this is probably unanimous

4. Dual card slots

5. Full screen wave form and vectorscope with RGB Parade and a Histogram

Todd Kivimaki
July 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I've had mine less than a week, so maybe you can do this, but I would like to be able to dial in my temp for white balance, the xha1 I sold could do this, like I said maybe the hmc150 can but I haven't figured it out yet.

Paul Cascio
July 31st, 2009, 04:42 AM
Todd, not by color temp, but there is a One Push White Balance. Also a feature ATW, that continuosly adjusts for changing color temperature such as those that take place throughout a day.

Andy Tejral
July 31st, 2009, 08:49 AM
Overall, I love this camera. My only beef with the camera is that I'd like it to remember that I want the waveform turned on. I shoot trains--hard to tell when they are coming--sometimes I get surprised. When turning the cam on or switching back from play mode, it would be great if I didn't have to manually do this.

AVCCAM viewer on the other hand. PLEASE get rid of all those warning boxes! YES, I really DO want to copy the files to the computer. NO, I really doubt I'll ever use the edit feature.

Rikki Bruce
August 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
1. It has! Look at the switches at the front of the cam beside the XLR's - LINE or MIC

I think the colour balance is awful, a manual setting you could scroll through would be ideal.

Alex Mitchell
August 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
1. Line in - can't believe there is no way to input a signal

Wait, what? The XLR inputs accept a line signal.

Tim Polster
August 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Better low light.

Every wedding I have used this camera on has been shot wide open at the reception with my light helping out.

These cameras produce a nice image, but they are still a little light challenged using 720p60.

Yang Wen
August 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Lens focus mechanism that doesn't get sticky in low temperature. A return to the focus mechanism used in the DVX line is warranted.

Greg Paulson
August 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Wait, what? The XLR inputs accept a line signal.

I think he means Line-In Video (probably composite).

I miss that feature too, it was handy in some cases where I needed a copy of some footage I could only get while in the field.

Another fantastic thing would be a FireWire port for sending out a DV signal so you could record _something_ digital from the camera with a standard laptop/dektop. I do the odd studio shoot using a FireWire based switcher (recorded to DV tape or HDD), and sure wish my HMC150 had this function.

And the headphone jack (heck, two of them!) located outside of the big rubber flap. I don't plug anything else into the camera when I shoot other than the XLR's and the headphone. I don't like having those 'studio' connectors exposed to the elements when in the field.

Ummm.... I would like a record button under the lens somewhere. I find my finger wandering around there often when I want to record. I guess it's because on a tripod, right hand is on the handle , the left is at the lens, and after composing a shot, it's the left hand that tends to be free, but it's awkward to reach around the camera, and the top button is a bit tight to push unless you have the right leverage.

I'm buying a zoom remote as soon as I can, I'm used to pro lenses where I can access the zoom rocker with my left fingers. The current rocker design is only good for hand-held use, top buttons are again useless. Zooming while on a tripod is pretty hard.

Andy Tejral
August 10th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I'm buying a zoom remote as soon as I can, I'm used to pro lenses where I can access the zoom rocker with my left fingers. The current rocker design is only good for hand-held use, top buttons are again useless. Zooming while on a tripod is pretty hard.

I actually bought and returned a Bebob zoom control. I've removed the handle from the tripod head and use my hand in the handheld position to pan the camera--other hand holds the tripod head too. Works well for the most part.

Rikki Bruce
August 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Ability to hold down a button and roll the IRIS slider to change color temp in kelvin (like I can get on my Nikon D700 DSLR)

Jeff Kellam
August 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I think the colour balance is awful, a manual setting you could scroll through would be ideal.

Rikki:

Adjust the base WB by using the color temp A and B settings in camera.

Next gen camera idea:

A full native resolution 1920X1080 progressive sensor rather than the current 960X540 1.5 offset sensor.

Blake Cavett
August 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I think this camera does rather well in low-light. I shoot 30p at 1/30th shutter and the images are quite nice with no strobing.

I went from the Z1 to this camera, and the only thing I miss is the Z1's viewfinder. That's it...

Rikki Bruce
August 21st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Rikki:

Adjust the base WB by using the color temp A and B settings in camera.

Not quite the same thing and not the same adjustability. Sometimes I might want to have a cast to things or not be able to nail the white balance using a card in a scene. Colour correction on a cooked recording is ok but you get noise ...

Luca Nicoletti
November 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Hello!
my ideal improvements for next-gen 150 could be:
Real manual (rather than servo assisted) focus mechanism
TRUE manual iris control on the lens, like the Sony EX1, and no more dials for it!!
Regards

Luca

James Featherstone
November 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM
The number one thing i'd like on the HMC is an Auto audio setting. I do a lot of running in and out of loud/quiet areas - this would be good to have, like I use to on my XHA1 - other wise i LOVE this thing

Denny Lajeunesse
November 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM
If the GH1 can have a decent LCD, why can't the HMC150?

I also second a dedicated Iris ring. And full raster CCD. 1/2" or 2/3" would be nice. (With the release of all these VDSLR's it could happen).

Simon Zimmer
November 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I agree with Denny, the LCD should be much better though I have gotten use to it by now.

And a nice 1" sensor would be worth the money. :)))))

I mean the Canon 5D mark 2 has it so why not Panasonic! :)

Must say STILL love the HMC-150. Great camera for the $$!

Simon

Mark L. Whalen
November 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM
The number one thing i'd like on the HMC is an Auto audio setting. I do a lot of running in and out of loud/quiet areas - this would be good to have, like I use to on my XHA1 - other wise i LOVE this thing

Just a thought, James. You could manually set audio levels separately: one for loud environments and one for quiet areas. You could then select which channel gives the best levels in your NLE and disable the one that doesn't. It's not a perfect solution, but...

Denny Lajeunesse
November 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Just a thought, James. You could manually set audio levels separately: one for loud environments and one for quiet areas. You could then select which channel gives the best levels in your NLE and disable the one that doesn't. It's not a perfect solution, but...

I often do this. Usually for wild sound that may end up being needed in post, but this is a good option and make sure your ALC (limiter) is always ON.

Mark L. Whalen
November 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I often do this. Usually for wild sound that may end up being needed in post, but this is a good option and make sure your ALC (limiter) is always ON.

Agreed. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Jeff Baker
December 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Easier access to standby and PC modes. Why so much fuss and button pushing to connect a usb cable and transfer files to my computer? Holding the button down for 2 seconds to get it to switch is too much trouble.

Robert Welch
December 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM
We got an HMC40 to test, and have decided that we'll be getting several HMC150s instead of the 40s to upgrade from our VX2100s. The low light just isn't good enough on the 40, but we love it otherwise. The only thing I can see the 150 lacks that we might miss will be the face recognition AF, it actually works pretty well on the 40 and it would be great if the 150 had it. It's not perfect, works better in good light of course, but you know when it's working and when it's not, so you can tell whether to trust it or go to another AF mode. Some might think it's a gimmick, but it can be rather handy.

Robert

Tom Hardwick
December 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Face detection is certainly a gimmick and the reason is plain to see - it only works in the full auto mode. Who on earth buys an expensive 3 chip camera and then shoots in auto?

Robert Welch
December 4th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Who's to say if they release face detection feature it in a new camcorder it would only work in full-auto mode? Sure, the AF would have to be in auto mode, but that's the only control that would absolutely have to be in auto, theoretically, right?

Robert

Tom Hardwick
December 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM
It would be nice if the little face detection rectangles (and it cleverly rectangles more than one face if needs be) could be called up at any time on screen, then you could decide to select one of the rectangles, click the camera to auto focus and have it track that face.

As it is the 40 will only bring up the rectangles if the whole camera's in auto (maybe not the audio - I forgot to check). So ok, it locks onto and tracks the face within the frame, but changing backgrounds and foregrounds cause the exposure to fluctuate horribly - because of course the camera's in auto exposure.

Panasonic generally get it right on the facelifted model. The DVX100A was a whole lot better than the 100.

tom.

Denny Lajeunesse
December 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
It would be nice if the little face detection rectangles (and it cleverly rectangles more than one face if needs be) could be called up at any time on screen, then you could decide to select one of the rectangles, click the camera to auto focus and have it track that face.

So really we need an iCam? Since the iPhone has this capability already? :D

Seriously, if apple made pro cameras, you'd probably have to jailbreak it in order to use any pro features, lol