View Full Version : Blimp on HMC-150?

Darin Boville
August 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
I'm looking at buying an HMC-150 and one question I still have is this:

I know there is a little screw hole thingy on the top of the handle--would be a good place for the Bogen hot shoe gizmo.

How about putting a Rode Blimp there? Too ungainly? Anyone doing this? Seems like a good run and gun solution for single person shooters in windy environments.

If anyone is doing this it would be great to see a photo of the combo :)

Thanks,

--Darin

Paul Cascio
August 4th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I believe any mic that's inisde a blimp needs to be placed very close to the talent.

Darin Boville
August 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I believe any mic that's inisde a blimp needs to be placed very close to the talent.

I contacted Rode and they say that mic placement should be unaffected by the Blim--if it works on-camera without the Blimp then the B;imp should be o.k., provided it fits, etc.

One issue they raised is whether the screw socket on the handle is strong enough for the blimp--about 1.6 lbs without microphone.

I don't have the cam, as I have said. Anyone know?

--Darin

Mark Von Lanken
August 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
...One issue they raised is whether the screw socket on the handle is strong enough for the blimp--about 1.6 lbs without microphone.

I don't have the cam, as I have said. Anyone know?

--Darin

I do not know what Panasonic rates the load capacity of the thread in the handle, but I do have a bare chassis and the thread is actually part of the chassis mold and not something that is screwed into the chassis. It is part of the orginal mold, as far as I can tell. There are no screws or rivets around it. If you need to see a picture, shoot me your email address and I will send a picture of it to you.

I can also tell you that I screw a Biddlestick in the thread and it supports the weight of the camera for low flying shots. I also mount an NRG varalux or Comer LED light with the large Sony battery. The Comer with large batter weighs 1lb 8oz.

Stuart Mottershead
August 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I use that hole to attach a quick release plate (I have another one underneath). That way I can attach a monopod to the top of the camera for low shots. The camera weighs much more than the blimp so I don't see a problem.

Darin Boville
August 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I use that hole to attach a quick release plate (I have another one underneath). That way I can attach a monopod to the top of the camera for low shots. The camera weighs much more than the blimp so I don't see a problem.

Cool. Sounds like something will work. Thanks.

--Darin