View Full Version : First Outdoor Wedding with HMC150s

Mark Von Lanken
August 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM
We did this Same Day Edit at last weekends wedding. It was the first wedding that we got to shoot outdoors for the ceremony with our HMC150s. I absolutely love the Panny colors outdoors. I thought the colors looked great indoors, but outdoors, the colors really shine through. I used a stock scene file and left all images untouched in the NLE. I think we lost a little "color pop" in encoding it for the web.

We actually had 6 cameras for the ceremony, but only three of them were used in the SDE. I shot Glidecam, Trisha was on the back camera, Deanna Summers from Wichita shot front camera, Aggie Brooks from DFW shot with an HVX200 on a jib, and then I had two locked down HDV cameras.
Oklahoma City Wedding Day Edit | Gaillardia Country Club | Von Wedding Films.com (http://vonweddingfilms.com/preview/SVWDE.html)

Michael Ojjeh
August 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Mark, That was great !!! love all your jib shots and your Glidecam shots were very smooth, very well edited with the music, job well done :):)
was that a muslim wedding ?

Don Bloom
August 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
as usual you and Trish and the 'crew' did a wonderful job and while the POP wasn't there (probably from the upload) the colors looked great.

Mark Von Lanken
August 4th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Mark, That was great !!! love all your jib shots and your Glidecam shots were very smooth, very well edited with the music, job well done :):)
was that a muslim wedding ?

Hi Michael,

Thanks. I didn't have any jib shots in the SDE. We only had time to edit in 3 cameras. They had a Persian ceremony as well as an American ceremony. All at the same location at the same time.

Mark Von Lanken
August 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
as usual you and Trish and the 'crew' did a wonderful job and while the POP wasn't there (probably from the upload) the colors looked great.

Hi Don,

Thanks. The colors don't look terrible, but they are a little washed out, compared to the non web version.

Tim Polster
August 5th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Very nice job. I am sure the customer was thrilled.

Encoding for the web is quite a difficult task. I have found that video levels tend to go down a bit as well.

So I usually bump up the video level a bit and add some sharpening & saturation.

This is coming from Edius, encoding a Canopus HQ, then running through Adobe Media Encoder for Flash - f4v.

When I am finished with editing a project, I create a new timeline sequence in Edius, then with the finished material "add to bin" as a sequence and drop this onto the new timeline. So the edited material now is represented in the new timeline as one clip. On this clip I add the "internet" filters.

Any change to the original will be updated on the internet timeline if needed.

I have shot a bit outdoors with my HMC-150 and I like the "low" knee setting as it really reigns in the highlights for a 1/3" chip camera.

Panasonic cameras really are affected by the settings chosen and it taked a while to learn what looks best for the image you want.

Oren Arieli
August 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Beautifully done Mark. How on earth do you keep a low profile with 6 cameras for the ceremony though? Were any of them hidden in the bushes?

Simon Zimmer
August 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I tried the link above to see the wedding video but it keeps saying BUFFERING when loading the movie.

Any ideas?

I have high-speed Internet and the latest flash player.

Simon

Michael Ojjeh
August 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Michael,

Thanks. I didn't have any jib shots in the SDE. We only had time to edit in 3 cameras. .

The opening shots looked like a jib shots, nice camera work if that's the case :):)

Scott Cassie
August 6th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Mark. Loved the video clip. I'm using the HMC150 too (well actually hmc151). I'm still experimenting with different scene files, custom and standard.

Could you tell us which scene file you used? Have you any custom settings?

Shot two weddings last weekend with scene file 4 (b-star), modified the matrix to NORM2 since I'm in PAL land, but have yet to look at the footage.

Cheers,
Scott

Simon Zimmer
August 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Wow!

Great job!

I have the HMC-150 too and love it so far!

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

Simon

Mark Von Lanken
August 9th, 2009, 09:08 PM
...When I am finished with editing a project, I create a new timeline sequence in Edius, then with the finished material "add to bin" as a sequence and drop this onto the new timeline. So the edited material now is represented in the new timeline as one clip. On this clip I add the "internet" filters.

Any change to the original will be updated on the internet timeline if needed...

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tips. I will try it out.

Mark Von Lanken
August 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Beautifully done Mark. How on earth do you keep a low profile with 6 cameras for the ceremony though? Were any of them hidden in the bushes?

Hi Oren,

Thanks. Two of the cameras were unmanned at the back of the property. We had the crane off to one side during the processional, and then after the bride entered, we moved the crane into place behinds the seats. That covers three of the cameras.

For the other three, I had a traditional front and back camera, and then I roamed around on the Glidecam. You can get away with a lot more when shooting a ceremony outdoors versus a church wedding. I love outdoor ceremonies. I love the shots so many of my California friends get at their outdoor ceremonies and was glad that I finally had a chance...well...minus the beach. ;-)

Mark Von Lanken
August 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I tried the link above to see the wedding video but it keeps saying BUFFERING when loading the movie.

Any ideas?

I have high-speed Internet and the latest flash player.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm sorry. We used a different encoding method that did not work as well. We have a new version up that should load much faster.

Mark Von Lanken
August 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
The opening shots looked like a jib shots, nice camera work if that's the case :):)

Hi Michael,

Yes, the opening shot is handheld. Thanks.

Mark Von Lanken
August 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Mark. Loved the video clip. I'm using the HMC150 too (well actually hmc151). I'm still experimenting with different scene files, custom and standard.

Could you tell us which scene file you used? Have you any custom settings?

Shot two weddings last weekend with scene file 4 (b-star), modified the matrix to NORM2 since I'm in PAL land, but have yet to look at the footage.

Cheers,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks. I used Scene File 5. I really like that setting when shooting in plenty of light. When shooting in lower light conditions I use Scene File 1. When I first started using the HMC150 I used Scene File 4, but noticed more noise than I like when shooting in lower light conditions. I have not messed around with the vast amount of custom settings. Busy...busy...busy.

Simon Zimmer
August 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Mark,

The videos finally worked. Just curious - what program, resolution and bitrate settings do you use for encoding for your website?

Thanks,

Simon

Steve Montoto
August 10th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Mark,

Are you using a fisheye on the 150 for a couple of the shots? If so I would like to know which one works well with the hmc.

The clip is beautiful and I really like the colors on the HMC.

Steve

Mark Von Lanken
August 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Mark,

The videos finally worked. Just curious - what program, resolution and bitrate settings do you use for encoding for your website?

Thanks,

Simon

We used On2Flix Pro. 1000 on the bitrate. We usually use ProCoder, but have been having issues with it.

Mark Von Lanken
August 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Mark,

Are you using a fisheye on the 150 for a couple of the shots? If so I would like to know which one works well with the hmc.

The clip is beautiful and I really like the colors on the HMC.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes. I use the Century Optics .4. I really like it. I also have a Century .6, but I didn't use it on this shoot. I actually did a Von Real segment on three Century lenses for the HMC150. You can go to EventDV-TV.com (http://www.eventdv-tv.com/) and go to the Von Real tab. Episode 1.

Simon Zimmer
August 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info.

I like ProCoder too but for H.264 I have not been very happy with the results either.

Actually PPCS3 does a "decent" job for H.264.

I have never heard of On2Flix Pro. I will check that out.

Thanks,

Simon

Arron Carlton
August 15th, 2009, 06:15 AM
amazing video

Tim Polster
August 15th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tips. I will try it out.

Your welcome Mark. Hope you find it helpful.

"Nested" timelines are really useful in Edius once you get used to using them.

Such a powerful program...

Carlo van Nistelrooij
September 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hi Mark,

very nice video.

Just curious, what was the title/ artist of the choosen music ??, very good choice!!

thanks for info, Carlo

Mark Von Lanken
September 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks Carlo,

It is from The Island soundtrack. I believe the name is My Name is Lincoln.

Carlo van Nistelrooij
September 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks Mark, I found it !!

regards, Carlo

Mike Schreurs
October 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Mark, Great job!