View Full Version : XR 520 Needs Zebras

Robert Young
August 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
It always bothered me that the XR did not have a zebra setting like the SR-12.
But over time, the auto exposure/auto scene functions seemed to be so clever that I quit worrying about it.
This weekend I was shooting some very light colored wildlife against dark rocks. The rocks look great, but the bird is completely blown out & the footage is unusable. The exposure on the LCD looked O.K., but there was glare on the monitor from bright sunlight, and casual overconfidence on my part. However, I do believe I would have instantly spotted the problem if the cam had a zebra setting. I can't imagine why Sony left it off of the XR & can only hope that they reintroduce it in the next generation of AVCHD cams.
I'm curious if anyone else has had exposure snafus with the XR??

Dave Blackhurst
August 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I've not had a problem thus far, but I haven't shot a lot in very bright conditions - when I do, I use the VF over the LCD, so I can see better.

I'm feeling that setting the AE between -2 and -4 is a good idea (has always been in the past with other Sonys too, so I guess you sort of have to expect a slight over-exposure bias). I recently found when shooting in dusk conditions the cam wanted to overly brighten the scene and using the button/knob to pull exposure back a bit was necessary, but I hadn't preset the AE, so that might have taken care of it.

Zebras are nice to have, and it would be nice to see them return, but I haven't "missed" them that much.