View Full Version : Looking for a Wide Angle solution...

Jean-Philippe Archibald
April 6th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Hi, I am looking for some advices on the differents available wide angle solutions.

I could buy the Canon 3X, but an adaptor like the .6x and .7x from century optics is appealing since I could use it with the stabilizer of the 16X auto or the manual controls of the 14X lens, two characteristics which are not present on the 3x.

Now, I heard that since the bayonet mounts of theses two lenses are differents, Century optics provide adapters specifically made to be installed on one of the two lenses but cannot function with both. Is there a threaded version which can work on the two lenses?

I have another question concerning the zoom-through capabilities. About the .6x, century optics claims that "It allows partial zooming up to 8X while in Auto Focus". Does that imply that no zoom is possible with the manual lens?

Thanks for your advices,

Jean-Philippe Archibald
April 6th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Hey!

There is so much Xl1/XL1s owners here, i'm sure someone have some advices for me!

I am waiting for your knowledge guys!

Jean-Philippe Archibald
April 8th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Hum...

so, nobody can help me with this one? I guess I will have to experiment myself...

Jeff Donald
April 8th, 2004, 09:36 PM
If you can afford it, purchase the 3x WA from Canon. If that’s not wide enough, then purchase the WA adapter from Century, made for the 3x. That about as good as it gets with the XL optics. The Century adapters for the stock zooms (16x, 14x etc.) are not quite as good optically.

Dylan Couper
April 9th, 2004, 11:36 AM
The 3x lens is really worth saving up for. Best money I spent on my camera, and it sees more use than any of my other glass. (no, it's not for sale :)

If you do a search on this section, you will find out the answers to most of your WA adapter questions. After doing all the research myself a couple years ago, I just saved up for the 3x.
I've forgotten most of the answers though.

Josh Bass
April 9th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I'll pop in. I have the .6x Wide Angle adapter from century, and yes, you are correct, it's pretty useless with the 16x manual lens. Technically, you can zoom to halfway through the 16x range, and readjust the macro focus (which is how you focus the .6x adapter) until your picture's sharp, but I'm not sure I see the use in that. I do like it, though. I was going to buy the 3x lens, and then I decided to go with the 16x manual, and I think it's great, but I still wanted wide angle capabilities, and chose the .6x from century.

A little barrel distortion, more noticable as vertical straight edges get closer to the right and left sides of the frame, in my opinion, and soft softness in focus as you get away from the center of the picture, other than that it's nice. Obviously not as nice as the 3x wide angle lens, but. . .you know. . .price. I like it.

Jean-Philippe Archibald
April 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Thank you Jeff, Dylan and Josh...

I think that will look toward the Canon 3X.

Nick Hiltgen
April 19th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Jean if you're interested I still have my 3x for sale in the private classified section.