View Full Version : XM-1 vs. NVMX350b

Hagop Matossian
June 19th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Hiya

I'm a web and multimedia student in the UK looking to buy a 3 CCD DV cam with a flip out screen in the £1400 price range. I've heard a lot of good things about the the XM-1, so that was my original first choice.

However i've also heard about the Panasonic NVMX-350b, which is in the same price range, ways about 1/4 as much, has a far bigger, thinner screen, and came out last year so is a much newer design. It does not however come with a handle, something I will need as I intend to use all kinds of crazy angles when shooting skate footage and music videos. Hopefully one is available, or I could make one

THe 350b also appears to have a smaller lens, so it will probably does not produce as nice an image as the XM-1. From everyhting I've heard the XM-1 seems to be a more professional camera giving better control over shutter speed and exposure, something I am very particualr about when shooting.

I know the XM1 has pixel shift, but could the 350b have better CCD's simply because it is newer? 350b is much less bulky, which would make it more practical for me.

does anyone own/use the Panasonic? Can anyone tell me some BAD things about the XM1? I don't want to go out and buy a conveniently sixed c amera when a larger one would yield a more professional result.

cheers

Adrian Douglas
June 19th, 2002, 06:31 PM
I can't tell you anything about the Panasonic but I know for a fact that the XM1 is a great camera for shooting skating. Throw the Canon WA adapter on the front and your in business. Audio wise it's not the best in it's class but for ambient sound it does the job.

There is no way know to man that the Pannasonic's optics would out do the XM's and for my money good optics will always win over trick features.

One other thing is if you can wait until next month there is a good chance that Canon will be replacing the XM1 so you'll either be able to pick the superseeded model up cheaper or the new version could just tear the crutch out of your nightie.

Hagop Matossian
June 20th, 2002, 04:38 AM
yeh i think i'll wait for the xm-2, see how it goes

thing is i'm in England and I know they'll wait at least a few months before bringing it out over here. just looking at the xm-1 i can tell its old. the screen is so small & chunky.

Hagop Matossian
June 24th, 2002, 05:22 AM
just found out the NVMX350b is called the PV-DV952 in the states

Frank Granovski
July 22nd, 2002, 08:40 PM
They both have pixel shift and frame mode. The MX350 plays back 500 horizontal lines whereas the XM1 plays back 460 lines. Both are good cams.

Note: the PV-DV952 IS NOT THE NV-MX350. The MX350 has 1/4" CCDs (like the XM1) and the the PV-DV952 has 1/6" CCDS.

Aaron Koolen
July 22nd, 2002, 10:22 PM
Being in England I think you'll have the same problem I have here in New Zealand, with trying to get an XM1 in a hurry. Although you're probably a bit closer to the east coast than I am to the west coast so shipping one over might be a better option for you. I rang Canon the other day and they didn't even know what a Gl2 was....Sheeesh.

Frank Granovski
July 22nd, 2002, 10:49 PM
The GL2 is the NTSC, North American name for this cam. So, Canon in New Zealand would know about the PAL version...XM2? something like that. Anyways, I got your humour, but I though I'd mention this, nevertheless.

Redarding the PV-DV952 (North America NTSC model), it is based on the Japanese (NTSC) MX2000 and MX2500, though striped down a bit. The MX350 has the larger 1/4" CCDs with some better and some worse features of that of the NV-MX300/0.

Both the MX300 and MX350 are very good cams, as is the new GL2 (XM2)

Aaron Koolen
July 23rd, 2002, 12:28 AM
Hehe frank. Actually I asked about them both XM2 & Gl2 just to make sure they understood, cause I know we call them something different here, still they knew nothing about either.

Oh well, never mind, think I'll get an old Xl1....Now to just try and find one here in New Zealand!

Frank Granovski
July 23rd, 2002, 12:48 AM
I realize the NZ Dollar is somewhat less than the AU Dollar, but why don't you have a boo here:

www.cameraaction.com.au

I have dealt with them before, and found them to be honest and professional, and they have low prices. Hey! Maybe they still have a good old MX300A sitting around, just for you!

Are you in Aukland?

Aaron Koolen
July 23rd, 2002, 04:20 AM
Thanks Frank, I'll take a look and see what I can find. Yeah I live in Auckland. Lots of shops here but finding any XL1's is almost impossible.