View Full Version : V35 pic

John Steele
April 23rd, 2004, 03:44 AM
Here's a pic of the new glidecam V35 from NAB

http://www.cinematography.com/articles/nab2004/

Just over half way down the page you'll find it.

John.

Norman Woo
April 23rd, 2004, 09:37 AM
Wow

And it's in fiery red. You'll going to look like one of those "Power Ranger" action figure.

When I save up enough moola, I'll upgrade from my V16 to the V35. But before that, it's the XL2 (whenever that will come out). I think Halo2 for the Xbox will come out before the XL2.

Sorry for the miscellaneous ramblings (I think I have my V16 Vest on too tight and it's blocking oxygen to my head as I type this ...)

Casey Visco
April 23rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Norman, at this rate, do you ever get the feeling that Xbox2 might make an appearance before Halo2? ;)

To tell you the truth I'm not sure if the fiery red is gonna be the final production finish on the V-35. It may end up with the same black anodizing that the Gold has.

Charles King
April 23rd, 2004, 03:02 PM
Thank God because red doesn't suit that beast. ;)

Casey Visco
April 23rd, 2004, 03:38 PM
Charles, agreed, it's not a very sexy color. I'll inquire about that on Monday.

Casey Visco
April 28th, 2004, 08:15 AM
It looks like the V-35 will be available in all black, like the Gold Arm. You will also, however, be able to get it in the red/black that was at the show.

Charles King
April 28th, 2004, 08:41 AM
I'll stick with the black but it's good they're offering it as a choice.

Casey Visco
April 30th, 2004, 12:56 PM
OK, a clarification, by default the V-35 components will be studio black. This is obvious, it's a standard. You will be able to special order them with the red accents seen in the photo, and also with blue accents. And both color choices look pretty nice up close. ;)

As of yet, I can't provide any official word on when the V-35 will make it's debut. It's still in its development stage. And also no official word as of yet on pricing.

As things come together we'll try to get up some official photos. Stay tuned!

John Steele
April 30th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Waiting with Credit card in hand Casey, the new kit looks great :)

John.

Andrew Petrie
May 5th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Was a back-mounted V35 not a viable option during design stages? I'm just wondering if GC has plans in doing so because it seems back-mounted rigs are much more comfortable to fly...

I've never tried a backmounted personally, but I've noticed other companies going this route.

Casey Visco
May 5th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Andrew,

We are still very much in the design and test stages of the V35. There are currently no plans to develop a back-mounted vest for the V35 unit. The vest will be a fully trimmable front mounted vest. Existing back-mounted vests, like the DSD, should be perfectly compatible with the V35 arm if the arm is purchased with an industry standard socket block connection (as found on the Gold system), as opposed to the existing V-series connection.

If Glidecam ever does decide to put out a back-mounted vest, it will likely not be put into the works until the V35 and other projects are finished.

This is ofcourse all subject to change, as per managements decisions, but that seems to be the way it's looking as of right now.

Casey Visco
May 5th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Also, Andrew, as a side note...

Vests like the DSD (www.danielsauvedesigns.com) are specially tailored to the operators dimensions. There isn't an viable or affordable way of doing this just yet.

John Steele
May 6th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Casey, does the new V35 arm use cables and springs like the Gold arm? I couldn't make it out from the pics I've seen.

John.

Charles King
May 6th, 2004, 03:40 AM
I'll cut in and answer that. Yes it has the spring and pullies judging by the adjustment allen screw on the top front shell. Am I right?

Casey Visco
May 6th, 2004, 06:51 AM
You got it Charles. It uses 6 springs (3 in each arm segment) and pulleys just like the gold.

John Steele
May 6th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Fantastic, so I take it the arm will be much smoother than the current V series arms. This just sounds better and better :)

John.

Casey Visco
May 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM
The difference between the old V-series arms and just the prototype of the V35 is incredible already, and we're still making improvements!

John Steele
May 10th, 2004, 03:00 AM
How about the new Gimbal Casey, the current V20 gimbal suffers from a bit of stiction(if thats how you spell it) and some have had balance problems with it, is the new one much better?

John.

Casey Visco
May 10th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Again, another area where the V35 is taking a que from the Gold System, is the gimbal. It's fully machined now like the rest of the new rig, not punched and bent like the old V systems. This allows for vastly more accurate construction, and likewise balancing. Obviously, this totally eliminates the need to "shim" the gimbal like on some of the existing V models.

John, basically EVERYTHING on this rig is far superior. Personally, just from playing with the prototype components, which arent even near completion yet, it's miles ahead of the existing V systems in nearly every respect. Probably the only characteristic that it'll still share with the old V systems is, thankfully, the low price.