View Full Version : GL1 or VX2000?

chrisrex
June 25th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Short and sweet:
Do I get the GL1 and the rebate, or do I spend a few hundred more and get the VX2000? I am just going to be using this for some short films/ parodies. I have no problem paying a bit extra if you get value in return. Is the 'frame movie mode' all its cracked up to be in the GL1, and does that alone make it more attractive than the Sony? is the 16:9 ratio on Sony that much better than the GL1? Are they both able to acheive a filmy look ( I know neither will be perfect in that regard)? I'll be buying one or the other in the next 48 hours. any help is greatly appreciated :-)
-Chris Rex
http://www.chrisrex.com

Don Palomaki
June 25th, 2002, 03:06 PM
The GL1 may be a bit hard to find. The GL2 has been announced (today) and should reach dealers within a month. Details about the GL2 at the CANONDV website.

chrisrex
June 25th, 2002, 04:03 PM
I actually have tabs on a GL1, just not sure whether to pull the trigger and save money, or go with the sony or GL2. anyone have an idea on GL2 pricing at all?
-CR

Bryan Beasleigh
June 25th, 2002, 04:59 PM
You'd most likely pay as much for a GL2 as a VX2K at this point (if you could get one). If you can afford it buy the 1/3"chip. If it's only a few hundred more than go with the VX2000, you won't be sorry. I compared the XL1S and the VX2000. The Sony won hands down.
If you've already made up your mind then do whatever it is that floats your boat and don't look back.

Mr.Cisco
June 25th, 2002, 05:52 PM
I just bought another GL1 today for $1750.

chrisrex
June 25th, 2002, 06:36 PM
One of the features that is leaning me towards the GL1 is the frame movie mode. Is this all its cracked up to be, or will I buy the GL1 and never wind up using it? Thats where my mindset is right now. I want to get a film like look overall. Honestly, those of you who have the GL1, how often do you use the frame movie mode, and why/why dont you?
thanks guys :-)
-Chris

Don Palomaki
June 26th, 2002, 05:32 AM
I don't use frame mode - but my work wants a video look, especially since it is intercut with tape from other camcorders that dop not do frame mode, and motion is a common part of the video

Barry Goyette
June 26th, 2002, 08:21 AM
I have used the gl1 for more than 2 years now, and I use it almost exclusively in Frame mode. It really is a big difference in how the footage looks, and it does indeed look closer to "film". I only use the normal mode when I want things to look video-y.

It's not perfect..the implementation of the frame mode in the gl1 seems a little different than the xl1s...high contrast objects can strobe a bit when the camera is panned across them, but overall the look is really nice. My guess is that with the new specs on the Gl2, canon has made some adjustments bring the frame mode in line with the xl1s.

I've heard you can get a similar look with the vx2000 by using a 1/30 sec. shutter speed.

Jim Steffel
June 26th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Regarding Frame Mode -
I use it almost exclusively. The special effects work that I do requires frame by frame editing, Frame Mode gives me a remarkably clear image to work with.
Warning: I am new to this stuff!

wallflower
July 15th, 2002, 01:12 AM
i have a chance to buy a used (as a rental) GL1 for $1000. any advice on whether to scoop it up or go ahead and spring for the GL2? i finally got my hands on both (as well as a VX2000) and i think i've decided at least on the canon, 'cause i do prefer the warmer picture i saw. but now that there's a shot at this GL1, i'm confused again.

any thoughts?

Don Palomaki
July 15th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Used rental units are perhaps more likely to have had rather heavy use/abuse with limited TLC. Be sure to test it first and check maintenance records and hours use if you can. A major repair could makeup half the difference between the used GL1 and a new GL2.

Jeff Donald
July 15th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Find out what their return policy is and if they have bench checked the unit. Any warranty? Would they pay for you to have it checked out? If the unit is "AS IS" No warranty, No returns, I'd pass. However if they are willing to work with you, it might be worth it. What part of the Universe are you from? Your location tag is blank. If your near a major city repairs may not be such a problem. But if your a little isolated repairs might be an issue.

Jeff

wallflower
July 15th, 2002, 06:14 PM
i live in seattle. so. i guess i'm not exactly isolated. :-). and he told me it would come with a warranty, so there's that - but i didn't ask him what kind of warranty, 'cause my head was spinning from having yet another choice, after spending weeks trying to decide between the GL2 and the VX2000... anyway, i can find out easily enough, if it's still available.

i'm also trying to find out exactly what kind of improvements have been made on the GL1, and how different it is from the GL2. i do worry about how much of a beating this used GL1 has taken, but the difference in price is pretty staggering.....

thanks for the advice. i'm sure i'll be back with more quandaries before long. if anyone has any other thoughts, they're welcome.

Don Palomaki
July 15th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Check the Ebay auctions to get a feel for the high end of prices for used GL1s. Check some of the major camcorder sellers in the cities (e.g., B&H, Adorama, etc.) who do used gear to get a feel for the resale used market prices.

SOme things to check for:
1. hot pixels
2. tape interchangeability (do tapes from other meachines play at SP speed)