View Full Version : Sony dual layer dvd burner released

Peter Jefferson
May 1st, 2004, 08:43 PM
http://www.sony.com.au/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22109#MID1.jsp?textview=false&productId=DRU700A&categoryId=22824,LHS1.jsp?textview=false&productId=DRU700A,MENUITEM4

10th June is the release date.. now to find an app which supports dual layer authoring..

Paul Tauger
May 1st, 2004, 09:02 PM
Ummm . . . unless I missed something, the link that you posted is to a read-only drive. I think this is the link you want:

http://www.sony.com.au/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22109#MID1.jsp;jsessionid=K121LENBNWCXKCWSCFBSFEQK0IIUEIV0?textview=false&productId=DRX700UL&categoryId=22824,LHS1.jsp;jsessionid=K121LENBNWCXKCWSCFBSFEQK0IIUEIV0?textview=false&productId=DRX700UL,MENUITEM5

Peter Jefferson
May 2nd, 2004, 04:41 AM
the link is fine mate :)

this IS the burner.. ;)

Paul Tauger
May 2nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
Sorry, but it's not. The drive at your link is the "INT 16X MAX IDE DVD-ROM DRIVE DDU161288" and has the following specs:

Reading Formats: CD-ROM, CD-DA (CD Audio), CD Text, CD-ROM XA, CD Extra, Video CD, Enhanced CD, Karaoke CD, UDF & Photo CD; DVD-ROM, DVD-Video & DVD+/-R/RW
Media Types: 120 & 80mm disks, Audio CD's, Video CD's, DVD Movies; CD & DVD Rom Disks; CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW & DVD+RW disks
Modes: CD mode 1 & 2, forms 1 & 2; single & multisession disks; single & double layer DVDs
Standards: MPC Level 3, PC99, MultiRead & C-tick

It's a reader, only, not a burner.

The drive at the link I posted is the "INT DUAL-LAYER DVD BURNER DRU700A " and has the following specs:

Supports Dual Layer Media
Supports +VR Format
8X Max SL + & - DVD Recording
40X Max CD Recording
24X Max CD ReWriting
12X Max DVD Playback
40X Max CD Playback & DAE
Record & Play CD-ROMs, CD-Audio & Video-CD Disks
Record & Play DVD-ROM & DVD Movie Disks
2MB Buffer with PowerBurn
Easy to Install & Use
Shortened Depth
80mm Media Support
Supports DVD Region Coding on Playback
Exceptional Software Suite
Interchangeable Faceplate
External Version Also Available

It is the dual-layer burner.

John Britt
May 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah, there's something strange about that link. Technically, Peter's put the correct link there, but for some reason it goes to "INT 16X MAX IDE DVD-ROM DRIVE DDU161288."

The weird thing is: Now click on the internal 700 burner icon on the right of that Sony page and bring up the proper drive. Keep the window open. Come back to the dvinfo.net window and click Peter's link again. Now it will link to the proper drive. Spooky.

Stranger is the fact that Paul Tauger's link goes to the *external* version of the drive, even though it obviously led him to the internal version.

Maybe it's something to do with the javascript on that page...

Anyway, the drive looks interesting. The real question is: if you already own a DVD burner, should you buy a dual-layer burner or wait for Blu-Ray? At least for me, that is...

Peter Jefferson
May 3rd, 2004, 08:45 PM
It could be from the fact that im in australia so our DNS servers are being re-routed somehow..?? WHo knows.?? LOL

Peter Moore
May 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Where does it say June 10th? The only date I've seen is May 17th for the deadline for pre-order.