View Full Version : DVD problems

Dustin Waits
May 12th, 2004, 10:10 AM
I'm trying to burn an aniversary video I made to dvd for a client but they keep coming out bad. They will play but every once in a while it skips or freezes. I made a couple dvds a few days ago with a different batch, but after I ran out of discs, I went to best buy to get some more and now they are messing up. Is it possible to just have a bad batch of discs? I'm using Memorex dvd+r discs, MSI drive, and adobe encore dvd. If it isnt a bad batch of discs, could it be the encoding in adobe encore? I'm just importing dv avi files into encore and letting it do all the encoding when I burn the disc. Should I compress the video to mpeg2 before importing into encore instead?

Ed Smith
May 13th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Hi Dustin,

Where are you viewing your DVDs? In your computer or in a settop DVD player or both?

When you preview your project in Encore is it OK? Have you previewed it from Harddisk in a separate software DVD player?

Its hard to tell what causes these glitches. I think that you will need to do some trial and error testing.

First, try your DVD in as many DVD players/ROMs as much as possible

Second, try a different batch or different brand of discs

Third, encode to MPEG2 before importing to encore

Cheers,

Dustin Waits
May 13th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Thanks Ed. I'm using the dvds in a settop dvd player and a playstation 2 and both of them are showing the same glitches. The video plays fine when I preview it in encore. I will try encoding mpeg2 before importing to encore and see if that helps. Thanks.

Dan Euritt
May 13th, 2004, 06:05 PM
dustin, it sounds like what you are saying is that the earlier batch of discs played fine, but the best buy memorex don't work well?

and you are using all the same dvd files for both batches of discs??

encore uses the mainconcept encoder, which usually turns out fully compatible files... hopefully you are also using ac-3?

so the memorex stuff may be a problem... i seem to recall reading that memorex has their discs made by different companies, which is not good.

you might check out the maxell dvd-r discs, they have dropped a bunch in price, and i've had really good luck with 'em... http://www.taperesources.com

Arnaldo Paixao
May 19th, 2004, 03:44 AM
I don't use Encore DVD, but it should have an option to choose the video encoding bitrate; choose 7000 as max.

Use AC3 (Dolby Digital) Stereo at 192 encoding for the audio

If your drive is a dual format one, try Verbatim -R and +R disks.

Good luck
Arnaldo

Dustin Waits
May 19th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Okay I tried encoding to mpeg2 before importing to encore and it still didn't work. I'm guessing its the discs. I will order a new batch soon and see how that works out.