View Full Version : Newbie with several questions (help!)

Carlos Leon
May 18th, 2004, 11:37 PM
I am the new owner of a DVX100a and I have several questions for those with more experience...
-Microphone- I bought an external microphone at best buy. The out of the mic is 1/4 phono plug but the dvx100a only has xlr connections, so I bought a converter at adio shack (from 1/4 phono to xlr female). Does anyone this is is bad or can ruin damage my camera?

-Hard-case= I bought a hard case for the camera and I have it s oeverything pretty much fits. My only worry is that I have to give it a slight tug to close it (granted, the case has foam molding that can form as time goes by) but I am still afraid that so much pressure can damage the camera. Did the same ting happen to your hard when you first bought it? was it a tight fit at first?

What are some recommended hard cases out there that people use? or am I just jumping the gun too quickly in thinking the camera doenst fit in the case I bought

-How can I manually export from a computer to the camera? If i put the camcorder on playback what do i press to record what I see on the vtr of the camcorder into the dv tape in the camcorder (in my last camcorder I had I would just press play and record)
Many Thanks to all,
Carlos

Sean Crabtree
June 7th, 2004, 05:02 PM
no real suggestions for you but would like to ask if you can give me the part number on the XLR to 1/4 adapter you bought at radio shack. My mic only has the 1/4 inch plug and i have no money to buy another setup. thanks

Josh Allen
June 8th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Carlos,

I don't have the DVX, but will try to help none the less.

Mic:
I wouldn't think a mic from best buy will be of very good quality. You may want to check out www.bhphotovideo.com for some better quality XLR mics. To me, that XLR ins on the DVX are one of the strong selling points of the camera.

At the same time...I don't believe the 1/4 to XLR converter would damage the camera.

Exporting to Tape:
What editing software are you using? If using premiere, just be sure you have the camera connected via firewire and choose the "file > export to tape" option.

I hope those help somewhat.