View Full Version : which 30mm adapter to gbuy for my Canon XH-A1s ?

Wajahat Abbasi
August 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
i know nothing about adopters but i have heard these 35mm adapters like Letus35 can do wonders for you ? is that true?

i have a canon xl2 and xh-a1s ... where do i get some info on what these adapters and which one to buy and if they are really useful

tanks

Chris Barcellos
August 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Here: Alternative Imaging Methods - The Digital Video Information Network (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/alternative-imaging-methods/)

Sean Finnegan
August 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
35mm adapters are expensive pieces of gear and they require a lot of technical knowledge to use well, so I'd HIGHLY recommend reading a lot about them and asking many questions before you decide to purchase one. However, what you hear is generally correct. While a 35mm won't make up for poor cinematography (good lighting and composition trumps having a 35mm adapter), a knowledgeable user can get some absolutely gorgeous footage from 35mm adapters.

The big companies in the 35mm adapter market are Shoot35 (SGblade), Cinevate (Brevis), Letus (Letus), Redrock Micro (m2). There are many other lower budget manufacturers, but I own a SGblade and wouldn't trade it for anything. Since 35mm adapters are a niche market, it's absolutely key to go with a company that has a good service and support program.

I can't emphasize it any more: research 35mm adapters before you purchase one. You need to have a great understanding of the 35mm adapter mechanics, parts, lenses, and manipulation of light to really be able to use one well. But go on Vimeo and check out the footage from the SGblade, or the Letus Extreme/Ultimate, and you'll find some great looking footage.

Personally, I use the SGblade with my Canon XH-A1. After spending a lot of time looking at footage, I found that the SGblade has a great working relationship with the XH-A1, and a lot of users find the same thing. The SGblade, for whatever reason, seems to produce a great look with the XH-A1.

Chris Hurd
August 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Here: Alternative Imaging Methods - The Digital Video Information Network (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/alternative-imaging-methods/)
That forum is one of our best achievements... the 35mm adapter was born on DV Info Net;
the concept started right here. There's no better place to research this particular topic.

Feel free to pick up the conversation there.