View Full Version : Matte Box

Tyson Thomas
May 22nd, 2004, 12:43 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a Matte Box for under 500 maybe?

Rob Lohman
May 23rd, 2004, 07:20 AM
Probably you can. But the question is why would you. The XL1S
already comes with a mattebox. So if you are looking for another
one, there must be a reason why and what you want to do with
it.

So you at least need to tell us what you are going to do with it.
Does it need a french flag (optional or out of the box), does it
need to take filters and if so, what sizes. Etc.

Dylan Couper
May 23rd, 2004, 08:21 AM
I don't know what kind of XL1s' they sell over there Rob, but mine only came with a lens hood. :)

Check out www.cavision.com for good matteboxes at low prices. I have a Cavision bellows style 4"x4" rod mounted one that I purchased used for $400-$500, and it is an excellent piece for the price range.

Also, keep your eye on Ebay, there is usualy one or two on there most of the time, and if not, it won't be long before one pops up.

Plus, check the Classified section here. Members put them up for sale from time to time.

Rob Lohman
May 23rd, 2004, 08:31 AM
I do think they call it a mattebox somewhere in the manual, but
it's more a lens hood indeed. Oh well. My bad.

Josh Brusin
May 23rd, 2004, 09:56 AM
I got myself a cokin p series filter holder, 52mm and 67mm rings (nikons) couple of stacking hoods, and my NDs, and grads for roughly $90... total.
VERY happy.

Tyson Thomas
May 23rd, 2004, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I don't use the regular lens anymore (except when I shoot weddings), I use an Angenieux 12 - 120 and when I am outside, the sun flares on the lens sometimes. I am using a ghetto technich right now........I have a big peice of cardboard that a shad the lens with. I want to look more professional.

I checked out cavision and they have no prices on their website...odd!

Dylan Couper
May 23rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
Tyson
Just email them and they will send you a .PDF or .TXT of their entire catalogue with prices on everything. They have a button for it on almost every product page if I remember correctly.

Tyson Thomas
May 23rd, 2004, 07:51 PM
Cool, I just did it...thanks!!!!

Ed Baatz
May 25th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Tyson,

I just requested a price quote for several different Cavision 4x4 matte box items for use with my XL1S from B&H Photo (here in the US). Seems like it might be a great source for these... and possibly at a slightly lower price?

It will be a "special order" from B&H though, but that doesn't matter to me...

Ed Baatz

Josh Brusin
May 25th, 2004, 01:06 PM
cokin sells a 72mm step ring for the p...

$24 bucks...

Greg Boston
May 27th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Also, check out the Matteblox kit by Cinetactics. It is very good for the price. I paid a little over $200 for the whole kit including the super french flag. Comes in a nice carrying case.

www.cinetactics.com

This maybe more in your proposed budget range.

regards,

Kevin Burnfield
May 27th, 2004, 08:28 PM
hey, this looks interesting... what kind of experiences have you had with it?

How's it worked out for you?

Tyson Thomas
May 28th, 2004, 05:23 AM
I just recieved the Matteblox, and I love it. It is light weight and shades perfectly. My camera and all the accessories that I have on it are already really heavy...this helps...thanks!

Kevin Burnfield
May 28th, 2004, 06:22 AM
if you can, how about some pics of how it fits and looks on the XL1 ?

Tyson Thomas
May 28th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I will try to post some pics ASAP!!!!!

Greg Boston
May 29th, 2004, 06:50 AM
I really like it. Has pouches that hold different size filters. This is a very ingenious use of velcro and nylon.

I would post pictures, but I have no place to post them.

Glad to be of help Tyson....I see you are just a few miles down the road from me in the mid-cities area.

regards,

Kevin Burnfield
June 2nd, 2004, 08:31 AM
greg, I emailed you about maybe hosting some of the pics...

Chris might come up with some space here as well which might work out better.

Norman Woo
June 2nd, 2004, 07:52 PM
Tyson

Which matte box did you finally get? From Cavision or from Cinetactics? I got a bit confused going through the posts. Did you get it with the rail and rod setup?

I'm also looking at the Cavision's Matte Box with rod, rail, french flag for my XL-1.

Ed Baatz
June 2nd, 2004, 10:18 PM
Norman,

I'm waiting to get a quote back from B&H on a Cavision matte box system/package... I just learned that Cavision now offers a 4x4' bellows style matte box that has 3 stages (the front stage is fixed and the rear 2 filter stages rotate 360 degrees) and it also has swing-away rod supports (not really sure what that is).

Cavision # MB413B-2

Naturally this new model matte box costs more but I think that the extra filter stage would be a great feature...

Kevin Burnfield
June 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Just found a dealer that carries the MatteBlox stuff for less then on their site:

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?

it's only about 10 bucks less but still....

John Threat
June 7th, 2004, 08:45 AM
If you want to deal with filters. a matte box really rocks that has a filter stage. 4x4 filters are a beautiful thing, and it's the only way to avoid vignetting when using the wide end of a zoom or a wide angle lens. (or multiple filters)

Shaggy Franks
June 17th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Hey,

I was pushed to this Thread from my original Post (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=190602#post190602).

I was wondering if anybody has used or has any experience with the Products from Cinetactics?
As I understand there Filter-holders work, you slide in the Filters (glass) in to one Holder. Is good or health for the Filters? The velcro idea could be cool but
is it as Good as the Slide in/down system? Also the Price looks very realistic.

If anybody can give me some personal experience with this Product, will be very helpful for me.

Thanks

Shaggy

Ed Baatz
June 17th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Shaggy,

Greg Boston and Tyson Thomas (see above) have both used it and they both give the Cinetactics matte box a thumbs up...

Personally, I'd rather pay more to get a more "substantial" matte box, but obviously people's needs differ...

Anyway, it sounds to me like two very positive endorsements of the Cinetactics?

== Ed ==

Tyson Thomas
June 17th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Here is my take on the Cinetactics Matteblox. I needed it because I am shooting a documentary. I have added so much to my XL1s including a heavy lens and a bunch of other stuff that just made the thing feel like a thousand pounds on my shoulder. The great thing about the Matteblox is, it is so light and it does its job.

Shaggy Franks
June 18th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Hey,

I just found some Products from Chrosziel (http://www.chrosziel.com) which might work really good with the XL1s.
Here is a Prize list (http://www.chrosziel.com/ACPL09_03.pdf) which is in € but the there Products are sold at 16x9inc. (http://www.16x9inc.com/)

What do yall think?

Shaggy

Kevin Burnfield
June 20th, 2004, 02:24 PM
seems like half decent products but they are just just as expensive, if not more, then the other stuff on the market.