View Full Version : blue fringe

Rich Lee
May 27th, 2004, 02:29 AM
What is this blue fringe that i see in these images? i have seen it in several other setups as well. really worried about this, i shot with the dvx100a, 30p. i had an xl1s before and have shot with it in very similer setups and never got this...anyone else seen this before?

http://www.rich-lee.com/wtf.htm

i didnt put arrows on all the parts that had it.

Peter Jefferson
May 27th, 2004, 05:00 AM
ive had that too.. :(

not that noticable on TV, but on PC its very noticable

Barry Green
May 27th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Looks like you have the detail setting cranked up too high, which is creating edge enhancement in a lot of the shots. And then you probably have cinegamma on, and when cinegamma overexposes, you get ugly artifacting. Most of your shots have serious overexposure in them. You are not allowed to overexpose with cinegamma, there's no knee or overexposure protection, it blows out rather ugly. You need to take precise care with your shots when shooting with cinegamma.

Try it again, turning detail down, and either turn cinegamma off, or keep your exposure balanced so there's no overexposure (use the zebras on 100% to make sure nothing is "blowing out"). The result should be much cleaner.

Rich Lee
May 27th, 2004, 11:45 AM
ok, i would do some tests and see what the deal is, for now i can just remove the blue in after effects. bummer, i like to over expose, oh well. i wil take a look.

Jeff Donald
May 27th, 2004, 04:29 PM
This will explain (http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Birefringence.html) some of your issues as well.

Stefan Scherperel
May 27th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Is there an english version for that site? :)

Jeff Donald
May 27th, 2004, 06:33 PM
No, but here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Calcite.double.750pix.jpg) is an actual picture that shows an exaggerated view of what's going on.

Rich Lee
May 27th, 2004, 10:46 PM
that never happined with my canon, whats the deal? is it a chip thing? does it have something to do with the panasonic camera being able to cut down on the amount of flare that can happin? i wonder if whatever process aids in flare reduction is causing this artifacting....i am looking at some stuff now that has a light in it, and along the edge of the light is this thick blue line...anyway, still havnt giving it a shot without the new settings.

Sean R Allen
May 28th, 2004, 08:21 AM
"that never happined with my canon, whats the deal"

Well, your Canon never had cinegamma. Turn CG off if you want to blow stuff out. Barry explained it well.

Rich Lee
May 28th, 2004, 08:31 AM
wow, i sound like a fool. sorry for the redundent post...i just came off 8 consequtive 15 hour days, and i havnt fully recuperated, Thanks Barry for the explaination.

Jeff Donald
May 28th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Birefringence is present in all optical systems. The the spacing of the pixels, choice of photo site lens (micro lens over each pixel), electronic signal processing (cinema gamma) and various factors in the lens system may exacerbate the condition.