View Full Version : "B" Camcorder?

Barry Rivadue
May 29th, 2004, 01:30 PM
This is just an idle thought at the moment, but it may become more important before I know it. I have a DVX100, which I treat like the jewel that it is. I might find a secondary "B" camcorder a useful option someday, but no way can I manage another DVX100, though I'd like it to be a 3-chip. With a "B" camcorder I don't need a fraction of the whizzbang features--just something to provide alternate angles or as a "stunt camcorder" (i.e. put on a jib, if I ever get one). The main thing is for it to have a reasonable quality lens that does not distract from the DVX100. Is a there anything out there that doesn't top $1,500 that could fit this? How many of you have a "B" camcorder?

Charles Papert
May 29th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Barry:

I have found from looking at people's efforts that unless they are using identical cameras, the cuts between the cameras can often be jarring. I myself attempted to intercut an XL1 and a GL1 a few years back and was not at all happy.

The best advice I think I could offer if a second identical camera is out of the question is to keep to the same manufacturer and the same sensor size (i.e. 1/3", 1/4") if available. Given two vintages of a similar model such as an Xl1/XL1s and the availability of menus and a good monitor, it is possible to paint down the better camera to better match the older model (sort of shame). Having the two cameras next to each other during white balances is a good idea for color matching, and doing an A-B switch at the monitor for exposures for every shot is also good.

Another factor with your DVX100 is that currently the only option if you are shooting 24p is--another DVX100 (but I think we are seeing those floating around now used with the A model out?)

Good luck...

Barry Rivadue
May 29th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the insight--yes, I can see why an identical model would be the ideal, though my wishing for a no-frills DVX100 is somewhat paradoxical I guess. :D Could a DVC30 be a serviceable alternate?

Dave Croft
May 29th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Hi,

Given that the dvc30 seems to have fuctions like cine gamma etc, could it become the DVX understudy?

I am definitely thinking about buying a dvc30 over my initial cam of choice an XM2 (GL2). The 30 looks like a really great little camera, and I want one.

The dvc30 sure looks like a cheaper alternative to the DVX, and it has a 16x zoom, and IR mode, plus more.

Dave.

Peter Jefferson
May 29th, 2004, 07:39 PM
im using an MX500 (in good light) as a secondary cam to the DVX.One thing i have noticed is that the MX colours are a lil warmer and backlight compenstion isnt as white, but then again, the MX doesnt have CineGamma, I'll be upgrading to a DVC30 as a second cam, and keep the MX as a Third