View Full Version : Dual Layer DVD and supported SW

Peter Jefferson
May 30th, 2004, 06:31 AM
jsut wondering if anyoen knows which DVD authoriing applcations actually support this format?

Ive been lookin everywhere, but cant seem to be able to find any info anywhere...

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Peter Moore
May 30th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Adobe DVD encore does. You can write to DLT. We don't know if it'll work with DL DVD+R yet.

Also the high end packages, Maestro, Scenarist, etc., all obviously do.

The reviews of the DRU700A seem to suggest the included software by Nero supports dual layer authoring as well but I can't confirm this.

Rob Lohman
May 30th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Peter's answer is good, but I do feel a bit unclear. Basically we
don't know yet which software supports this.

Yes, a lot of DVD authoring applications support dual layer DVD's
when they are going to a replication facility onto DLT tapes.

Whether this will be compatible with DVD R DL is a whole different
matter that remains to be seen.

The only thing that is known is that Nero is being shipped with the
new burners with support for the format (you can't yet download
a version with this supports in it!!).

Authoring packages remains to be seen / tested!

Peter Moore
May 30th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Well, if he's talking about DVD+R DL that's one thing, but if he means plain old vanilla DLT-based DVD-9, then the answer is Encore, Maestro, and Scenarist.

Whether you will be able to use those packages to make DVD-9s that can burn to DVD+R DLs is unknown. It depends on whether you can set a layer break in the burning application (like Nero). Since the authoring software doesn't necessarily care where the layer break is (Maestro, for example, does not recompile the project after you set the layer break point - the only thing the breakpoint affects is where in the mastering process you swap DLTs). It's entirely possible the new Nero will take any existing DVD video project and allow you to set a layer breakpoint at any chapter point. If so you will definitely be able to use Encore, etc., with it. If not, you will be required to use Nero's authoring software.

Pete Bauer
May 30th, 2004, 03:24 PM
According to the Adobe Encore FAQ, version 1.5 does not natively support the new dual layer burners themselves, but does create disc images for dual layer discs...you'd create a disc image in Encore and then actually burn it with 3rd party software (presumably, hopefully bundled with the burner).

I'm a little surprised that they are just now releasing software (Encore 1.5 and the rest of the latest iteration of the Video Collection) that doesn't support these new drives. Just guessing it would have delayed the Collection's release and that Adobe will simply update their software in fairly short order to natively support prosumers with dual layer drives so as to keep up with the competition.

http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/pdfs/encore_faq.pdf

Ben Gurvich
May 30th, 2004, 06:18 PM
<<<-- in the mastering process you swap DLTs). . -->>>

excuse my ignorance, but what are Dlt's and what is the process of swapping them

Peter Moore
May 30th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Digital Linear Tapes = tape cartridges that you write your DVD project to and send to the DVD replicator to actually make your discs off of. A DVD-9 requires a DLT for each layer, so the authoring software writes the first layer to the DLT, then prompts you to insert the next tape for the 2nd layer.

Ben Gurvich
May 30th, 2004, 10:02 PM
are they like backup tape drives?
do u haveto submit on these disks could u givethem a protable hard disk?

Rob Lohman
May 31st, 2004, 04:48 AM
Yes they are backup tape drives.

Whether or not you can submit your dual layer DVD onto tape
or also a harddisk depends on the company that is going to press
your discs. Some companies might accept a harddisk (but you
will also need to talk about what format is on there) but I doubt
most will. The standard is DLT. I also heard of some companies
accepting 2 DVD recordables for a dual layer DVD, but I'm not
sure how this would work.

Peter M: I was going with the understanding that Peter J was
talking about the new DL recordables indeed. But if he is talking
about pressed DVD's I retract my statement <g>

Let's wait till we hear from Peter J. on this....

Peter Moore
May 31st, 2004, 07:42 AM
When I did my first (and so far only :) ) DVD-9 project, I used Acutrack and they accepted two DVD-Rs. They also required the Maestro .lay file. I think what they did was took the contents of the two DVD-Rs and recombined them on their hard drive, then used Maestro to master to DLTs. It's the only way to go for DVD-9 replication, IMO, because then you're not the one at risk of making a mistake (which seems to be incredibly easy).

Ben Gurvich
May 31st, 2004, 07:54 AM
Cheers Rob, thx for the info.net

Peter Jefferson
May 31st, 2004, 08:33 PM
youd tink considering that Sony released the Drive that DVD Architect would at least have a patch out by now to also support the drive... being made by the same manufacturere,, it woudl b the smartest way to merket both products.. oh well..

Peter Moore
May 31st, 2004, 09:26 PM
I'd be surprised if they didn't. There's no media out yet, so there's no rush on a patch. Plus, based on Adobe's response regarding Encore, it sounds like any authoring system capable of producing > 4.7 GB projects will be able to be burned onto these discs using Nero.