View Full Version : Canon 28-135mm IS USM is perfect!

Ron Transco
July 19th, 2002, 04:26 PM
I just bought the Canon 28-135mm lens for use on my XL1s. For those of you not familiar with the lens, it has a stationary front element (great for polarizers), a fantastic Image Stabilizer, and uses the same size filters as the stock lens. I bought it primarily for macro use (3/4" fills the frame at 9" from the front element), but it turns out to out perform the stock lens by a long shot. First I can handhold it through out the zoom range, which is 200mm to 972mm on the XL1s. Secondly the manual focus is much better than on the stock lens. I could focus on my cat's whiskers from 30 feet away. I also noticed that the colors seem more vivid with virtually no bleed. I thought it was impossible to get a sharp focus with the CVF, but with this lens everything I've done so far is right on, even when viewed on a 63 wide screen monitor!

Jeff Donald
July 19th, 2002, 05:30 PM
It is a very fine lens. Canon did a great job on it. If you end up needing something longer try out the Canon EOS EF 70 - 300mm IS lens. It complements the 28 - 135mm nicely. It's filter size is smaller, but optically they match real well. Enjoy, and have fun shooting.

Jeff

Ron Transco
July 19th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Jeff -

The 70-300mm is the next thing on my wish list. With the 3 lenses I should be set for anything that comes along.

Dylan Couper
July 20th, 2002, 12:04 AM
How much was it?

This is with the lens adapter, right? We aren't talking about one that mounts right to the xl1.

Ron Transco
July 20th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Yes, this lens requires the lens adapter. I paid $419.95 for the lens and $439.95 for the EF adapter at B&H. Canon has a $10.00 rebate on the lens. B&H also sells a gray market lens for less money, but without warranty. If I had shopped around more I probably could have found a better price, but B&H is a good outfit to deal with. I buy most of my gear through them or ZGC.

Nathan Gifford
July 20th, 2002, 03:59 PM
It has a stabilizer too? How wide is it? Might be nice to see a few pictures.

Do you have a URL for the lens?

Nathan Gifford

Ron Transco
July 20th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Here is the link for the lens:

http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/lineup/standard/index.html

You'll find the picture, dimensions, etc. there. Yes the lens has an image stabilizer and it's excellent. With a little care I was able to shoot at full zoom (972mm) handheld. The camera plus lens is so heavy I wouldn't be able to do it for very long, but good for those quick shots when you don't have time to setup.

Jacques Mersereau
July 21st, 2002, 11:04 AM
If your XL1 is getting too heavy, and you don't have a lot of money for a steadicam, you should check into The MARzPAK™ handheld camera support system. About $400 plus some shipping. All you
do it put it on like a backpack, clip in the camera and go. The russian tank of handheld support.

I don't even try to shoot without mine now, and
when I do, I wonder how I ever got through a shoot.

*ALERT* I am the co inventor of this device,
but I stand behind what I claim.

You can see some stuff about it on Mr. Hurd's Watchdog or go to www.marztech.com for lots of info and details.

Thanks for the report on this lens, I will have to afford it now. It is amazing the quality jump when using better glass! The color is way better, the images sharper, and getting focus is SOOO easy.