View Full Version : Best on camera light for a wedding? (or other dark events where power isn't available

Michael Baker
June 23rd, 2004, 09:10 AM
Hello - I'm just wondering what the best light will be for a reception - I won't have too much control over the lighting so I wanted a light to be attached to the camera to walk around with - anyone have any suggestions? will I need a battery pack for it or can it be powered by the camera battery?

I have the DVX100a - thx for any help>!

Ernest Acosta
June 24th, 2004, 08:23 AM
I have a Bescor twin light but it didn't come with a diffusion screen. I improvised and made one myself. Go to the store you purchased your camera from and check around. But by all means get one with a diffusion screen. The last thing people want is a bright light in their face, especially at a wedding. If you have the cash, check out the new white/soft LED lights.

Michael Baker
June 24th, 2004, 08:38 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Ernest Acosta : I have a Bescor twin light but it didn't come with a diffusion screen. I improvised and made one myself. Go to the store you purchased your camera from and check around. But by all means get one with a diffusion screen. The last thing people want is a bright light in their face, especially at a wedding. If you have the cash, check out the new white/soft LED lights. -->>>

back to BH Photo in NYC heh it's not hard to get me to go there!!

Ted Banucci
July 8th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I have a Frezzi micro fill myself, but the batteries you have to wear for these is a ton of weight to lug around. My advice is to seriously look into this:

http://www.litepanels.com/main.html

Ted

PS- It will definitely be my next light.

Wesley Wong
July 21st, 2004, 11:19 AM
prices... *faint*

Tung Bui
July 23rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
I bought a bescor 645 at adorama- comes with battery, dimmable 50W light, barn doors. Best value kit out there.
However if I had my money back I would seriously look at the cool lux sl3000 broad light. It has an amazing design where the broad light has a reflector hood. The broad design means you get more spread and less fall off of light. With my light I have to zoom in 50% to elimate the appearance of the light fall off. Evsonline has them on sale.

Peter Jefferson
July 24th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Bescor VS-100 100w 12V Battery Operated Video Light with Cigarette Socket Connection.
Publisher: Bescor
Product Type: Electronics

Compact precision molded light

Twin vertical barn doors

Soft Diffuser

Universal shoe mount

Surface mounted on/off switch

----------------

Got mine in a no name brand box as "luxmen universal video light" for @250 AU...

I refuse to pay 500 bux for a cam light, unless its for a a studio rig... (which I already have)

I fond this light is BRILLIANT with a dichronic filter.. nice cool colours which dont confuse teh cam, so skin tone is as raw as it is in daylight.
U have to have at least a 50w though.. i also use a Vitan lil light runngi a 20w globe.. no filter, but it does the job

Peter Jefferson
July 24th, 2004, 07:52 AM
forgot to mention, the ligths themselves arent that expenisve.. its the damn batteries that kill ya.. .

Wesley Wong
August 1st, 2004, 10:41 AM
Just tried my brand new microfill on my DVX at a presidential event. Wow. I like it. The press people were eyeballing me.