View Full Version : Dual Layer DVD Burners....question

John DeLuca
June 30th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on which model to get. Any suggestions is appreciated.

John

Rob Lohman
June 30th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Personally I would wait, for these reasons:

1) this is the first generation model. As with CD and DVD burners earlier first generation can have more issues

2) media is still not available or very hard to find and expensive prices

3) compatability of media and drive is completely unknown. Also upon playback on a regular DVD player.

I would personally wait. If you must buy, which brands are you
looking at?

Charlie Wu
June 30th, 2004, 04:57 AM
i agree with rob

check out cdfreaks.com they have lots of infos in regard to burning stuff

John DeLuca
June 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info, I was pricing out a new Dell computer and noticed that you could add a double layer dvd burner as an option. I wonderd if you could just buy one and replace the one I have now with it. I was looking at the $200.00 US dollar sony. Links are below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/firstlook/20040507/
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=313088&pfp=BROWSE

If the links dont work the model info is

Internal IDE DVD+R Double Layer / DVD+/-RW Drive

Manufacturer: Sony
Mfg Part #: DRU700A

Thanks for you time, it means alot :)

John

Rob Lohman
June 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Sony makes good burners. I haven't heard of anyone actually
using the DRU700A so I don't know whether this one is good
as well.

Mike Rehmus
June 30th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Of course you don't have to actuall burn 2-layer disks in the burner.

If you were buying new and the delta price weren't too much more, I'd probably buy the dual layer capability on the bet that I could use it down the road.

Peter Jefferson
July 1st, 2004, 04:14 AM
there are afew issues with standalone playback compatibility at the moment though..

im waiting till some more dvd authoring apps support sizes larger than 4.7..

Tommy Haupfear
July 1st, 2004, 01:00 PM
I'm holding off on a dual layer burner but why not when you can get one for about $80 at NewEgg. I got the 8X multi-format NEC for $68 at NewEgg but believe it or not you can firmware upgrade it to dual-layer. I have not tried this and the measly price difference I don't think its worth the hassle.

Charles King
July 1st, 2004, 01:30 PM
Tommy, what is the model number of the nec you are talking about? I just recieved the NEC 2510A dvd dual layer model. I havn't installed it yet. I also got the media to go along with it.

So, does anyone recommed a good dvd burner program that burns dual layers?

Tommy Haupfear
July 1st, 2004, 01:46 PM
I'm using the 2500A ($68) and the Dual Layer is the same as yours (2510A). With a firmware update the 2500A supposedly becomes a 2510A. I'm not brave enough to try this!

Charles King
July 1st, 2004, 02:06 PM
For what I've reading the firmware seems to work. I'm trying to see if I need any updates,firmwares or drivers before I installed this thing.

TingSern Wong
July 5th, 2004, 02:10 AM
I understand that the only supplier for dual layer media is Verbatim, and its supply is extremely limited worldwide because of yield problems.

Also, I don't think there are DVD authoring tools that allow for 9.4GB disks today.

Best that you wait until at least the media becomes more commonly available.

Charles King
July 5th, 2004, 02:23 AM
I take it by 'DVD authoring tools' you mean program? Well, I just read that nero has an update that takes care of this problem.

TingSern Wong
July 5th, 2004, 03:14 AM
There are actually two aspects of this. Nero only takes care of the DVD burning part. The other side (DVD authoring) - where you put in the video layout, titles, audio, etc ... programs like Sonic ReelDVD or DVDit - those kind - I don't think they work for dual layer today.

Charles King
July 5th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Okay, I understand. I'll have a look at their website and see if there is any updates schedule anytime soon.

Charles King
July 10th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Well Well. Here I am now waiting for more than 50 mins and counting for nero to burn about 700mb file unto my nec 2510A dvd burner.
It's stuck at 34% process status. So, any thoughts?
I'll wait for about 5mins then I'll put the plug.

I went ahead and stopped the process then I went and clicked on the dvd drive and saw the files had been burned on the dvd.

So why was it taking so long??mmm!

Tommy Haupfear
July 10th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Do you have the latest firmaware? Have you tried a different program? Have you tried the DVD writer on its own IDE channel without a Master/Slave configuration?

Charles King
July 10th, 2004, 08:38 AM
The driver is on it's own ide channel. The firmware is the original firmware, it came with it. Being that it's new I don't think a new firmware is out yet. At least that's what I've been told any way.

Which other program should i use, do you think?

TingSern Wong
July 10th, 2004, 08:59 AM
It looks like hanging during the closing of the DVD. When I got my Plextor PX-708UF plugged into Firewire, I was testing it first time, Roxio hangs as well. I aborted it, found the DVD not closed properly, forced the DVD to close, and after that, it is perfect. Never had this problem repeated again. Must be lucky here.

And here are some pointers -

a) Multi-sessions on DVD are okay, but only for DATA DVDs. No standalone DVD player exists that can read DVD movies and play it normally. And most DVD authoring programs for movies only allow one session - a good thing.

b) Enable burn-proof or something like on your DVD burner - that way, you don't make a coaster from a DVD - $2 not very cheap....

c) When burning DVDs for movies (MPEG2), after burning it on a computer based DVD writer, play back that DVD on a set top DVD player - to test whether it can read it properly or not.

Tommy Haupfear
July 10th, 2004, 09:12 AM
I would try Roxio 6.0 (I also use DVD X-Copy Platinum) but you're right in that there are no firmware updates available. The only downloads available for the 2510 are the PDF data sheet and manual.

Tommy Haupfear
July 10th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Could media be an issue? Have you tried different media?

Charles King
July 10th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the reponse guys.

Wong, I am definately not thinking of playing a data dvd in a standalone player. Never was my intension. Just as I mention earlier. It's simply for backup purposes as I have lots of important files I want save one one disk and dvd seems to be it being it can handle large amount of space on a single disk.

Tommy, I thought DVD X copy was only for doing straight dvd copies? Does it apply to data files also? Probably a dump question but you'll never know ;)

When I burned one or two files, it seems to go well butwhen I decided to burn a huge file it decided to 'idle' or 'coast' as you all call it. But the funny thing is, the info had been burn to the already. mmm!

Tommy Haupfear
July 10th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Charles, I think you're right about X-copy.

Is your desktop pretty speedy?

I think when an updated firmware comes out you should definitely jump on it. I would hate to think your new burner is defective.

Charles King
July 10th, 2004, 10:36 AM
To tell you the truth Tommy. I have an old computer system. It's a P3, 256 Ram XP. So I don't know if that has something to do with it.
One thing I forgot to mention when I was burning. I had a downloading program in the background running. mmmmmm!

Jesse Bekas
July 11th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure what speed your drive is, but I was just reading the back of a package of 4X media (TDK?), and noticed a warning in tiny print that said if they were used in certain 1X, or 2X drives they could possibly ruin the drive, and void the drive's warranty! I personally don't know much about this, but at the very least I gathered that even after getting the right format discs, you might also need to match burn speeds as well. Now, obviously you couldn't burn at 4X on 2x media, but I thought you could burn at 2X on 4X media. That could have something to do with it.

EDIT - I zipped all the way to the end of this thread, not realizing it was about dual layered burners, in which case my idea on speed differences is probably useless...sorry.