View Full Version : DVD Recorder prices expected to drop bigtime - 50%!

Christopher C. Murphy
July 1st, 2004, 01:30 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&ncid=1093&e=3&u=/pcworld/20040701/tc_pcworld/116765

I might setup a duplication side of my business if this is the case. Anyone know where I can read up on building a DVD dup rack??

Thanks, Murph

Harrison Murchison
July 2nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
Bring it on. DVD recorders are a necessity. I am please at how quickly DVD recorders became affordable.

Anhar Miah
July 4th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Thats good news, i wonder how this effects prices in the UK.

I think that the fact that Dual layered burners are out in the UK might also help bring the price down futher.

The cheapest DVD burner (that i know of) in the UK is £70 (for internal PC)

And the cheapest DVD recorder is about £140.

Its the TAX in the UK that makes thinks over priced here :-(

Boyd Ostroff
July 4th, 2004, 08:10 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Anhar Miah : Its the TAX in the UK that makes thinks over priced here :-( -->>>

This gets off-topic, but that's a pretty complex subject. You need to look at the bigger picture when you compare with the US in terms of our federal income tax, state income tax, city income tax, property tax, state sales tax and local sales tax. One way or the other all these entities have their hands quite deeply in our pockets! And health care is a major expense for many Americans...

Not complaining, just pointing out that it's hard to make price comparisons due to these factors.

Jim Underwood
August 20th, 2004, 05:07 PM
The link to yahoo in the original post no longer works.

Evidently yahoo news links expire.

Perhaps yahoo is not a good source to quote here.

Jesse Bekas
August 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM
DVD burners seem to have dropped in price, faster than CD burners did. Maybe they got away with charging more for a longer time with CD burners because the idea of burning an optical disc at home seemed some how powerful and revolutionary. Music and then Data CDs were out and popular for quite some time before you could make your own.

Now they want us to but up the old DVD burners before all the new high capacity formats come out. It's weird, I'm only 23, but I remember being in awe of the 3 1/2" floppy, and it's still weird thinking of 4.7 GB as soon being a low capacity transferreable media.

Anhar Miah
August 24th, 2004, 06:57 AM
I think the reason why the drop in price has been so quick is because DVD technology is a "piggy back" technology ie DVD is built upon a well established CD technology.

And also the consumer pressure had something to do with it,

beacuse DVD players where in effect meant to replace VCR in the average home, the VCR still had the edge in terms of recording your fav TV shows, people didnt just wanna watch moives they wanted to record them too.

I just saw a DVD standalone player yesterday for £30 (~ $60) thats cheaper than a VCR!

And as far as the format goes, i think most DVD recorders will do what Sony does and make dual formats.

Gints Klimanis
August 24th, 2004, 03:54 PM
I bought my cheapie Apex DVD players a couple of years ago for around $50. They play everything. It's easy enough to get a $40 DVD player in the US at WalMart. My mom received a DVD player for opening some sort of bank account. Anyway, the video quality on these low end players is currently horrendous.

Boyd Ostroff
August 24th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Yes, I think the DVD player is the new "free toaster oven" that you get when you open a bank account ;-) I just bought my daughter a new laptop and it came with a free DVD player. I didn't need another cheapo DVD player, but I took it anyway and gave it to a friend. She'll probably hook it up to her TV through the antenna jack, or RCA cables at best, but I suspect it will still be at least as good as her cheapo VCR...

Jacques Mersereau
August 27th, 2004, 10:26 AM
The drop in price could also signal the arrival of blue laser.

Boyd Ostroff
August 27th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Yeah... where is Joseph George when we need him? ;-)

Greg Harris
August 27th, 2004, 11:16 AM
whats the best dvd recorder for the price right now.. Hook a brotha up with a link.
thanks

Dan Euritt
August 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM
<<<-- Anyway, the video quality on these low end players is currently horrendous. -->>>

say what?? i'd like to hear the line of reasoning behind that claim.

you can get cheap dvd players with component outputs these days... nothing "horrendous" about that!

Jesse Bekas
August 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah...I didn't want to argue about that before, but...With DVD being a digital format, its video quality is determined by the disc itself (encoding used when recording, quality of actual original filming, etc...), the kind of outputs used, and the monitor it's being watched on. A $40 player should produce the same video quality as $200 player in a controlled test.