View Full Version : Making VCDs?

Nathan Gifford
November 5th, 2001, 09:25 PM
Is there a simple process for making VCDs and SVCDs? I've been to VCDhelp.org, but I am not sure what to use to encode and what to use to get that image on the CD burner. Can I use CD/RWs for testing?

Is there a 1, 2, 3 for doing this?

Thanks,
Nathan Gifford

Chris Hurd
November 5th, 2001, 11:35 PM
Everybody seems to refer me to vcdhelp.org but I have a hard time finding useful info there. Maybe we need a new section here on dvinfo.net. Somebody would have to submit some stuff who really knows what they're doing. Myself, I'm pretty green but eager to learn.

Let me know... thanks,

Ashley Guy
November 6th, 2001, 02:26 AM
there a a few ways to create VCDs.

The first and simplest way is to use a VCD recorder like the Terapin which works just like a VCR.

Otherwise, to use your computer there are some simple steps that are generally used.

1. Capture - using your capture card you get the video into your computer.
2. Edit - this can be as simple as cutting commercials or as sophisticated as adding Matrix style slow motion.
3. Encode - Using an MPEG encoder you need to convert your footage into VCD-compliant format. Use MPEG1 witht he following specs: (Video: 1150 kbit/sec, 352 x 240 pixels, 29,97 frames/second; Audio: 224 kbit/sec MPEG-1 Layer2)
4. Author & Burn - Depending on how sophisticated you want to be (and what software you have) you can create menus or simply have the disk play when you insert the disk in the player. Most CD burning software comes with presets for creating VCDs.

Well, that's the basics of it.

Ashley

Rob Lohman
November 6th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Hi,

I have some friends who are into (S)VCD en DVD
encoding... so I can check with them if needed...
I here the best program to encode mpeg1/2
with is tmpgenc -> http://www.tmpgenc.com/
It's free for mpeg1 (VCD) use, and 30 day
trial for mpeg2.. Generates very good results!!

It's also very very cheap to buy! Allmost everyone
I know who doesn't own hardware encoders
uses this...

Hope this helps some!