View Full Version : Should you use the black and white effect to set the exposure?

Marco Leavitt
August 2nd, 2002, 06:08 AM
I understand that viewfinders on professional video cameras are often in black and white because it supposedly helps to set the exposure and focus. Can you get the same benefit by setting the digital effect on the GL1 to black and white, turning it on to set the exposure, and turning it off just before you start taping? I've tried this and noticed that it causes me to underexpose the image slightly from what I would have chosen otherwise. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? It seems like it looks better to me, but it's hard to say if I'm going to feel the same way in post.

Chris Hurd
August 2nd, 2002, 11:16 AM
I think that pro CRT (not LCD) black & white viewfinders are fine tools for the people who are trained how to use them and who are familiar with using them in the world of pro shoulder-mount cameras.

I really don't think you should concern yourself with it. I sure don't. I love my color viewfinder, and many professional shooters actually do prefer color as well. There's no real overwhelming advantage to a B&W LCD viewfinder... the one on the PD150 gets you maybe a 20% sharper image and that's it.

People get confused because the viewfinder advantage is in the cathode ray tube (CRT), not so much because it's black and white. Although pro shooters are trained to read exposure by greyscale so for them it's an advantage.

Somebody around here recently reminded us that Ansel Adams, one of the best photographers ever, viewed everything through a color finder.

Use the zebra pattern to assist with your exposure, and you can trust the camera to find the proper white balance as well as exposure in most situations anyway. Hope this helps,

MaximusV
August 29th, 2002, 08:23 AM
I think that you might noticed better colors (more saturated) after underexposing a bit - a result, as you wrote, of setting exposure when turning the B&W effect on. I noticed this even when taking still photos with my film camera. I do it with my XM-1 as well, but I just set the camcorder to manual exposure setting, dial the desired aperture and than set the shutter speed, so the built-in exposure meter shows slight underexposure. The colors on a TV screen look more saturated and more pleasing for a viewer.

Maciej

Peter Butler
August 30th, 2002, 03:25 AM
I'm ised to using black and white viewfinders and when I tried out an XL2 about four years ago I hated it. The resolution didn't give you a very clear idea of when it was in focus. But I must say colour viewfinders seem to have come on a lot since then and then colour viewfinder in my XM2 is excellent and it becomes obvious when the camera is in focus almost as good as my Sony UVW100 that I used to have.