View Full Version : 8mm conversion

Richard Brand
August 22nd, 2004, 11:59 PM
a friend has asked me to convert some 8mm film of his to DVD. I can only really think of one way to go about this and that is to project it onto the wall and film it with my xm2. However I have a funny feeling that I'm going to get a 'strobe' effect because of the frame rate of the xm2 and the black lines in between frames in the film. Any suggestions on how I can minimise this?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Mike Cavanaugh
August 23rd, 2004, 08:23 AM
Set up a good quality monitor and then experiment with shutter speeds until you find one that minimizes the flicker. You probably won't be able to eliminate it completely, but you can come close.

Richard Alvarez
August 23rd, 2004, 08:33 AM
Short of sending it off to a lab to do a proper telecine, a "poor mans' version will have to do.

If it really is 8mm film, and not SUPER 8 mm film, there is a very good chance it was shot at 16 fps, or 18fps rather than 24fps. You will need a projector with a variable speed. Most projectors have a three bladed shutter. If you vary the speed of the projector, speeding the 18fps up to 20fps, you will then get 60 images per second - which will synch up nicely to your 60i shutter.

Again, a little experimenting with projector speed and shutter speed will be in order, but I have done this many times before, and the results are acceptable. (Again, not as good as a real telecine, but pretty good nevertheless). Make sure you are pretty far away from the screen, this will minimize the parallax between the camera and projector positions,

good luck

Darko Flajpan
August 23rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
I've done that kind (super8) of transfer few times with XM2.
I got bet results with shutter 1/25 (you're PAL right?). And don't forget to do WB.

Richard Brand
August 23rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
Thank you Mike, Richard and Darko. I will try all your suggestions.
You have all been very helpful.