View Full Version : Dead Pixel

normbaits
August 9th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Anyone else have a dead pixel on their LCD for their GL2. This really pissed me off when i first turned it on. What is the quality control measure for this, is it returnable, or does it not fall under the requirements for deficiency. I have to shoot a movie this week, so I would have to return it after that time.

Jeff Donald
August 9th, 2002, 04:02 PM
There is a mfg. tolerance for LCD and CCD. It of course falls under their quality control and is covered under their warranty terms. If the dead pixel is just on the LCD screen it is only anoying, not really affecting the picture. However, if the pixel is on the CCD it creates a grey spot where the data should be. They guarantee something like 99.97% pixels. This translates to around 20 dead pixels before it qualifies as defective. Sometimes the dead pixels can be masked or mapped out. A call to Canon may be in order to check what can be done.

Jeff

Don Palomaki
August 10th, 2002, 06:14 AM
My understanding is that there should be no visible hot /dead pixels on the CCDs at 0 dB gain.

The 99.97% applies to the LCD and view finder.

George Gerez
August 10th, 2002, 09:10 AM
I have seen alot of posts about the GL1 and now the first GL2 Hotpixel problem. I have notice that I never see other people with the same problem using Sony, JVC, or other cameras.

So it seems like canon biggest problem is hotpixels, in the CCD

Does anyone have any comments?

normbaits
August 10th, 2002, 09:29 AM
The Dead Pixel I have is strickly in the LCD not in on the CCD, thank god. Its more annoying than anything. I was just wondering if the one pixel was a cause or reason for me to return. Thanks for the help everyone.

Barry Goyette
August 10th, 2002, 12:14 PM
George

I'm not sure that dead pixels are a "canon" only problem. One of the reasons that we probably see more posts relative to this issue, is that this site is predominately frequented by canon users...I would be highly surprised if canon even makes the LCD screen used in its cameras (just like it doesn't make the chips), and most likely it is the same screen that is used on a few other makers cameras as well. LCD screens in the computer industry are known for this problem as well. If it's a problem for anyone, my guess is the best bet is to call canon technical support...they probably have a policy regarding how they deal with it.

For what it's worth, my powerbook's got a dead pixel, and so does the EVF on my xl1s, my 18 inch apple studio display is perfect........wait a minute.........whew.... that scared me.....it's just a period.

Barry

Frank Granovski
August 13th, 2002, 03:13 AM
I've never had a dead CCD pixel, nor a dead one in the viewfinder nor the LCD. I own JVC and Panasonic cams. I've also used a number of other cams, including a GL1, sometimes for 100s of hours, and have never yet seen a dead pixel. However, if I had a dead CCD pixel on one of my cams, I'd get it "fixed," or trash it---if the "fix" costs too much.

Chris Hurd
August 13th, 2002, 05:57 AM
A dead pixel in the LCD panel is not considered to be a warranty or return/repair issue. As Jeff points out, the guarantee is for 99.97% of the LCD pixeld to be operational, allowing for roughly 20 dead pixels in the display. At least it's not in the CCD. If I were in your position, I'd contact the dealer and inquire about an exchange. Good luck,

Aaron Nanto
September 24th, 2002, 09:51 AM
I just bought a GL2 from a very good online retailer, and I too have one dead pixel on my LCD. It's slightly off-center and to the bottom (and is only viewable when I have a dark BG) but by the responses in this thread, it seems that probably nothing can be done until it really becomes an issue.

Jason D. Moore
September 25th, 2002, 02:35 PM
I've got a dead pixel on the CCD of my ZR30MC... luckily it's not a GL2 or XL1s because my warranty is already up. A friend of mine has one on his Elura 2, and I've seen lots of posts from people with the same problems with their GL1/XL1S.. is this a big problem? Or does it just seem that way because there's a post from 10 people with this problem (out of the 1,000s that have the cameras).. ?

moore

Jeff Donald
September 25th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Don't confuse dead pixels on CCD (imaging device or chip) with dead pixels on the LCD viewing screen. While dead pixels are annoying on the viewing screen they in no way affect the recorded image. Most of the above posts are referring to the LCD, not the CCD.

Jeff

George Gerez
September 25th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Well I am talking about Dead Pixels on the CCD. It seems to me that Canon has issues with dead pixels on the CCD. Specially the GL1. (source: from reading this forum)

The reason I do not mention LCD is because they clearly state 99.97% can be good at a given time. meaning about up to 20 pixels can be dead on the LCD before the consider it an issue.

(If I am wrong please correct me.)

Jeff Donald
September 25th, 2002, 03:46 PM
George,

Sorry for the confusion. I was responding to moore511, who asked about lots of posts for dead pixels. But in answer to your question I don't think it is a Canon only problem. After all the chips are made by Panasonic and I don't see any more Canon complaints of dead pixels than Panasonics. However, this started as a Canon site and the majority of the members here are Canon owners. it's only logical that there are more complaints about Canon. It's what we shoot with.

Jeff

Jason D. Moore
September 25th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Jeff,

I'm aware of the differences between LCD and CCD and I was referring to the problems with the CCD. Another messageboard that I frequent has had a couple threads with multiple posts about dead pixels on the actual CCD, and as I said, the camera I have, and my friend's both have dead pixels on the CCD (not the LCD screen), that show up on the footage. My question was for people that have more experience in the "industry" and more experience with other cameras, as my knowledge is limited to personal experience (limited to the two cameras with bad pixels), and from reading the board which is primarily Canon users. That's why I was asking if this was a big problem for people using Canon cameras, or a problem with all cameras as the CCDs are most likely made by some third party... a few posts on a board, hardly represents the thousands of Canon users.. so is this a bigger issue? Or is it limited to the 10-20 people who have posted about their CCD problems.

Moore

Chris Hurd
September 25th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Well, it's kind of like how nobody calls the cops to say they're having a good day. You're only going to hear about the problems.

A bad pixel on the LCD screen may be mildly annoying, but it's not considered a warranty issue. As pointed out previously, if you have six or seven bad pixels on the screen, the LCD is still performing at 99.97% which is considered highly acceptable.

A bad pixel in the CCD block can be masked out by a service facility. The sooner you get it done, the better, especially if the camera is still under warranty.

That's pretty much how it breaks down -- if you have a bad pixel in the CCD block, then send it in and get it fixed. Nothing wrong with conducting an online survey of who has an issue and who doesn't, but it's pretty much pointless because that's not going to change anything. The main thing is to become proactive and quickly get your camera in for service and get the problem resolved, if it is indeed in the CCD block and not the LCD display. If you recently purchased the camera, then get your dealer involved and see if the'll help you. But by all means do something about it. Hope this helps,

Jason D. Moore
September 25th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Thanks Chris, that was pretty helpful. And I guess it comes down to the fact that this board wouldn't even be around if it was that huge of an issue, because we would all be using Sony cameras instead of Canon. So I guess it's back to the drawing board, VX2000 or PD150, or GL2 or XL1s... Time to keep reading past posts.. as there are lengthy discussions about this subject already. Thanks again

Moore

Mark Sudfelt
September 26th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Well I have just purchased a Sony PD150 because I am sick of all the problems I have had with my canon XM1(GL1). I'll never buy Canon again. My XM1 is only 20 months old( 4 months of that probably spent in Canon Service centre) but is back at Canon New Zealand workshop again for the 3rd time. I have probably only recorded less than 20 one hour tapes in that time.

Latest problems are a smudge(bacterial maybe) on the inside of the front lens element, and a dead pixel on the CCD. I mentioned that the smudge could be seen when the camera was pointing in the direction of the sun(i.e. backlit, no sun visible in viewfinder). The technician then said the dead pixel was probably caused by pointing the camera at the sun and therefore is not a Canon problem. Only problem is I have never(knowingly) pointed it at the direct sun. Technician says the only way to fix it is to replace it at a cost of NZ$1000!(approx US$470). He made no mention of CCD masking.

Another issue I have with Canon is that there service is so slow. Each time the XM1 has gone into Canon Service, they have had it for at least 3 weeks and in one case 6 weeks. . . .. and they assured me when I complained that it was in the priority que because it was a more expensive camera! Don't know what the waiting time would be on a common old Hi 8 but it must be measured in months.

With my Sony purchase I have been following some PD150 and VX2000 forums and I cannot remember seeing any mention of dead pixel(on the CCD) issues. Go to a Canon XM1 forum and there are plenty. . . . looks to me to be quite a problem.

Jason D. Moore
September 26th, 2002, 07:46 AM
THat's exactly what prompted this question... I've seen no mention of CCD problems on any of the PD150/VX2000 boards that I've been following, but plenty of them on the Canon boards. I've also read lots of posts similar to yours, people who have had a GL1/XL1S for a short period of time, and 90% of that time it's been in repair... maybe they just got a "lemon" but I still haven't read any posts like that from Sony users.

Moore

Bill Hardy
September 30th, 2002, 02:37 PM
I wonder if messaging the dead pixel would bring it back to life. People have done this with laptop LCD's.

Dave Grey
October 2nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
I just got a GL2 last week from ZGC. (They are *so* great to deal with, btw.) There is one bad pixel in the flip out lcd. I called ZGC and they immediately issued me a Canon RMA# and agreed to exchange it no problem.

That said, allow me to ramble for a moment.... I have been an IT proffesional in various capacities for a long time now. I have a lot of experience with large LCD displays from both the vendor and consumer perspectives. Technology has continued to improve over the years, but it can still be said that it is very challenging to create an LCD display without any defects. Most vendors will not accept a return on a laptop computer sized display with less than 10 dead pixels, or less than 3 or 4 dead pixels in a group. If my GL2 had a single inactive pixel I would have not thought twice about it. There is every possibility the replacement would have the same issue, or more.

A pixel that runs constantly at maximum intensity is another story entirely. In my case, near the center of the screen there is a 100% red pixel at all times. This is *way* more distracting than an inactive pixel. I found it drawing my eye and causing me to look "at" rather than "into" the display. For most (unfortunately not all) LCD computer monitor vendors, a single hot pixel would warrant an exchange no questions asked.

I would hope this would be the case for lcd viewfinders on these cameras as well. If not... I suppose this winds up just being a big plug for ZGC. Well, I really *am* impressed with them. :)

lyd