View Full Version : Adding titles to live DVD burning?

Dave Brown
August 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
We are using a Sony A1U HDV camera (shooting in SD 16:9) outputting to a monitor and to a Sony DVDirect DVD burner, for burning DVDs on the fly. We are using this for actor auditions, and the advantage is that the camera operator doesn't need any technical skills; they push the ON button on the camera, the ON button on the DVDirect and shoot a 1 to 4 minute audition, often with 2 to 3 takes. Then the DVDs get labeled and sent to the director and producer for casting purposes.

We need to bypass a computer completely because we don't need anything fancy; they just need to view the faces and the performances. It also has to be done YESTERDAY ... like everything else in film, of course. It also has to be 'technically-challenged' proof, if you know what I mean.

Right now, each actor is 'slating' to camera by facing it and stating their name and agent contact info. We want an easy way to add an inline titler so we can quickly type in their name and have the title appear on the DVD. Any ideas?

(They tried using a consumer camcorder with a built-in titler ... but that was a joke. We are talking 10 to 20 actors coming through per hour so there is NO time to be wasted playing around with all those scroll buttons!)

Tripp Woelfel
August 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
If I read you right, you're going 1394 to a DVD recorder. If that's true, I think you're stuffed. I don't know anything that can jump on a 1394 stream, but I don't know a lot.

How good does this have to look? You might try some low tech optical solutions. Wooden blocks, Colorform letters on plex or a name card projected on the wall or on a video screen in the background.

I've been called crazy before and will be again, but it's a thought.

Dave Brown
August 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Much more low tech because we don't need high res. (In fact, the actors HATE HD, and are not a big fan of high res outputs. They LOVE little consumer camcorders because "they look SO good.) We are outputting using either the S-video or composite video signal.

I found a Horita KCT-50 character generator that seems like it may go inline.

Horita | KCT-50SV Y/C Character Generator | KCT50SV | B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/233865-REG/Horita_KCT50SV_KCT_50SV_Y_C_Character_Generator.html)