View Full Version : Anybody see the newest (cheap) Manfrotto head?

Matt Gettemeier
August 29th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I can't believe what they're giving you for a paltry $89!

Check this thing out:

Click HERE for 701rc2 head. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=341507&is=REG)

According to the Manfrotto site it even includes a counter-balance spring!

Sure you can see that it's still a total entry-level head... but I've been looking at getting a backup pod for the times when I just don't want to lug my big boy around.

With this head you get a 1.8 lbs weight, a quick-release plate, bubble level, what appears to be a sliding adjustment for camera balance, plus a counterbalance spring to prevent the "clunk" drop forward or back. All in all it really looks like a steal for such a low price.

Combo this with a 3021pro (black of course) tripod and you've got yourself a sub-8 lbs pod for $236!

Click HERE to see the complete tripod I'm referring to. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=344330&is=REG)

Tell me that's not a GREAT deal for anybody wanting a cheap (or backup) tripod!

My normal pod weighs nearly 11 lbs and it cost over a grand... but I gotta' tell you... this is going to be the next addition to my location bag.

Boyd Ostroff
August 29th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Well I don't have any personal experience with that, but I used to have one of the very cheap Manfrotto heads that looked sort of similar. Honestly, it was pretty worthless. You couldn't pan smoothly, there was always a jerk when you started and there was a lot of play in it. You really might want to try before you buy. I ended up giving mine away to a friend.

I have a 3321 with the 501 head which I got about 3 years ago and used quite a bit before upgrading to a Miller. Now I use the legs with a "3D" head for my still camera. But that wasn't a bad entry level setup and I'll bet the 501 head would beat the 701rc2. For $60 more you could get that kit, including a nice carrying case http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=344330&is=REG

Matt Gettemeier
August 29th, 2004, 05:43 PM
It's the minimum weight and portability I'm after for this pod. The combo I like is rated for twice the weight of the cheapest Manfrotto tripods.

After looking a little more I think the best bet would be this one:

Click HERE for the $319 combo. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=344207&is=REG)

Since there's no pictures at that link click the following link to see the legs seperately:

Click HERE for the 756b legs at $193. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=272829&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo)

These legs include a leveler and bubble level. Plus they collapse down to 23.2" and they only weigh 4.85 lbs.

This makes the total weight of the legs and head 6.7 lbs. That is SUPER light! That's even lighter then the carbon fiber combos costing 3 times the price. Now I KNOW that those CF pods are a LOT better... but this is about having a backup pod for a really cheap price... it's something to use for NON-critical work.

This is my normal pod (click here). (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=206502&is=REG)

I actually bought the components seperately and upgraded the legs to the 1345 and got a Portabrace tripod "clamshell" bag instead of the Gitzo bag... so cash isn't the issue on this one.

I just think that the new Manfrotto head, when combined with the leveling legs... is a GREAT deal! I don't think you're going to find anybody on this forum to claim that this is a "professional" pod... but at a pound LIGHTER then even the CF models... it's a great little "beater" pod for quick and dirty shooting.

This coming weekend I've got some shooting to do from Saturday through Monday. It's a job where we want to blend into the crowd. I'll probably walk several miles with my gear every day. My good pod is 11 lbs... this pod is more then 4 lbs lighter... if I had it guess which one I'd bring?

I'm gonna' get one.

Matt Gettemeier
September 9th, 2004, 05:32 PM
UPDATE... well after my raving excitement about the new head, sight unseen, a friend of mine bought the pod combo that I said I was going to buy.

The new head (701rc2) is very minimalist in construction... but that's fine... we're talking about a cheap, lightweight head.

Here are my impressions.

It's got DRAMATICALLY smoother motion then the previous version of this head.

There is a fixed tension counter-balance spring built-in... it's not of sufficient rating to support my DVX... but you can let go of the DVX with NO tilting resistance dialed in and it WON'T drop the camera... it slowly lets it fall forward, or back.

*IF* you dial in a fair amount of tilt resistance it actually WILL support even the DVX.

There is a bubble level built into the head... right at the base... VERY nice.

The top portion of the head slides forward and back... about 1" in either direction or 2" total slide... so you could balance anything up to an XL1s pretty easily.

The head uses the same quick-release plate technology as the other Manfrotto heads... It holds the cam very solidly, but it doens't actually LOCK like some of the other heads do... but I'd have NO worries tilting my cam or carrying it around by the pod legs.

The pan arm can be placed at any angle to the head... it can be loosened and rotated just like on a real head.

The actual quick-release plate and the lever which releases it are raw metal... considering the super-nice finish on all Manfrotto stuff I'd have liked to see this in that nice gray that most of their stuff is (little parts and levers)... at this price? That's picky.

All in all I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice this little head is... but keep in mind that it's just that... LITTLE.

My original intent with this thread was to share my enthusiasm for Manfrotto's dramatic upgrade of a total entry-level head. After extensive time with one I'm even MORE impressed... by weighting one leg of the equally cheap Bogen legs I could muster some pretty smooth pans and tilts. I sincerely think this head will be passable for a lot of videographers on a super-tight budget... or else those who want a SUPER-lightweight spare pod. I wouldn't pop my DVX on this baby for a paid gig that involved a lot of zoomed shots panning and tilting... but I WOULD use it for a paid gig that involved medium to wide shots with panning and tilting... and I'd definitely use it for my own personal crap... when I don't want to be bothered with a heavy pod.

I tend to follow the money on things... some people buy something and when enough time passes that they can't return it they want to convince EVERYBODY that's the right choice. Still others make all sorts of recommendations that they themselves will never follow... "This is what I use at work", etc. To me the best testamonial endorsement of a product... and I even apply this in the magazine reviews... is when an unbiased party gets to really play around with a product... and THEN buys it.

I know I already said this earlier... but I really am going to get the pod I suggested above. This cheapy little head has counter-balance springs and they CLAIM it even has REAL fluid cartridges in it? True fluid? Doubtful... but for a cheap-as-dirt head I was surprised at how smooth I could be with it.*

*For those who don't know me my normal pod is over a grand and OBVIOUSLY an entry-level head and legs like this is no real comparison... when you initiate or end a pan/tilt it was hard to not have that "nudge" into motion or out of motion... I'm sure you all know what I mean. So take my comments with a grain of salt... this isn't a pod to compete with your high-end stuff... it's just something you may not mind having on your backpack for 10 miles... I also use monopods and a tripod easily does a lot of things a monopod can't easily do... or do at all.

Allen Mitts
October 2nd, 2004, 01:59 AM
Hi Matt. Your very well done review of the 701rc2 head interested me.
I am using a 700rc2. When you state:
"It's got DRAMATICALLY smoother motion then the previous version of this head."
I am assuming you are referring to the 700rc2 as the previous model. Is that correct?
I'm using a Sony TRV38 cam with it. Weighs just under 2 lbs. Would the spring be a problem for a camcorder this light?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Allen

Bob Benkosky
October 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Would that be sufficient for a GL2 or is there something a tiny bit more expensive that is really smooth.

Give me your best links on this one. I'm really looking to get a smooth tripod for once. I'm finally getting calls for my business and I need something good.

So whatever tripods similar to the 701rc2 combo kits but maybe a tiny bit better. The GL2 isn't all that heavy, but I guess the better built tripod/base the more steady and smooth.

I think anything over 7 pounds might be overkill though, but I'm new to looking into good tripods.

Matt Gettemeier
October 17th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Sorry for the delay in response guys. I always thought viruses, worms, and trojan horses were a joke... now I can't even use Internet Explorer anymore or my computer instantly shuts down. I tried to respond to this about 4 times now. I'll get that sorted sooner or later... back to the topic.

As for the head it's a great starter head to grow with... I'd consider it "fine" for either a second pod or for a small cam. If you're using a GL2 I'd still plan on getting something a little more beefy eventually.

The counterbalance spring is a big plus... no matter how light your cam is... better to have your cam pull up to level then slam forward!

If you already have the earlier head then it's a toss up for the cash outlay vs. value of the upgrade... as a secondary pod it's a no-brainer... and for budget shooters who don't use a lot of full-zoom it's a solid, economical choice.

Kevin James
November 19th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Matt, go download AVG Anti Virus suite and Lavasoft Ad Aware. They're both free and work great for cleaining up a PC.

And now for relevant discussion ;)

My Bogen Rep brought the 701RC2 and an medeve w/ ball level combo by not long ago. Very very nice. Definately feels much better than previous cheap "fluid" heads from bogen. Amn interesting note, he says unlike the Mini fluid and the 700, this one is a TRUE fluid head, not greased drag. I ordered a 701rc2 with 755 sticks and level from him today. Also got a KATA rain cover for my forthcoming dvc30. I'll post some video as soon as it gets here. They are on backorder from Bogen (701rc2's) atm, so it will be a few weeks.

Allen Mitts
November 25th, 2004, 03:07 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin James:
An interesting note, he says unlike the Mini fluid and the 700, this one [701RC2] is a TRUE fluid head, not greased drag. -->>>

Interesting... although I find it doubtful that the 701RC2 is a TRUE fluid head. As I recall, even the 501/503 heads aren't 'true' fluid designs.

<<<-- I ordered a 701rc2 with 755 sticks and level from him today. -->>>

I recently purchased the 756B legs and upgraded my 700 to the 701RC2. This has been a great combo for my small cam (Sony TRV38). Couldn't be happier!

BTW, you said you ordered a 'level' also? The MDeVe's have a built in level (50mm half ball).

And Ken... Still eagerly awaiting your tripod review!

Regards, Allen

Kevin James
November 26th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Yes, mine are the mdeve's with the built in 50mm.

I said the same thing about the 501/503's to him when I raised an objection and he said that as far as he knew, unlike the 700/501/503 this thing is a true fluid........they are trying to be the only ones with a product like this in that segment of the market. I wonder if the 501/503 may be facing replacement if bogen really has developed a cheap way to produce true fluid heads.

I'm still trying to determine for sure if this little guy is true fluid.

Kevin James
December 15th, 2004, 08:22 PM
The first two I have used have been *ok*. Both had a sticky spot on vertical pans and werent very impressive. We got in some more recently that had the new Manfrotto badging (as opposed to Bogen) and a different model label (smaller text). These two were great! They also seemed to have stronger counter balance springs in them. Very smooth starts and stops in all directions. I'll have some video up early next week.

Carlos E. Martinez
December 16th, 2004, 05:35 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin James : The first two I have used have been *ok*. Both had a sticky spot on vertical pans and werent very impressive. We got in some more recently that had the new Manfrotto badging (as opposed to Bogen) and a different model label (smaller text). These two were great! They also seemed to have stronger counter balance springs in them. Very smooth starts and stops in all directions. I'll have some video up early next week. -->>>

Sorry, which are the "first two" that you got replacements for with Manfrotto badging and that were great?

Carlos

Kevin James
December 16th, 2004, 09:20 AM
The first two 701RC2's I tried had the old style Bogen badging. The two that performed well had the newer style manfrotto badging.

Carlos E. Martinez
December 16th, 2004, 12:37 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin James : The first two 701RC2's I tried had the old style Bogen badging. The two that performed well had the newer style man froto badging. -->>>

So which is the 503 version that performs well?

On the heads I tried, the #503 was a lot better than the small one, which I think was the 701RC2 because I did that recently at an equipment show in Buenos Aires.

Marc Schotland
December 17th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Some significant differences between the 701RC2 and the 503 (other than the physical size) are the following:

The 701RC2 is designed to support max loads up to 4kg (9 lbs), whereas the 503 can support 8kg (17.6 lbs).

Both heads have a fixed counter-balance spring. The 701RC2 spring is optimized at 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs); the 503 spring is set for an ideal load at 2.5kg (5.5 lbs). To assist in leveling your camera, both heads have a sliding QR plate.

The 503 is outfitted with a manual drag adjustment to fine tune the tilt and pan control, ensuring the best and smoothest controlled movements.

Both the 701RC2 and the 503 are true fluid heads.

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto

Carlos E. Martinez
December 17th, 2004, 04:48 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Marc Schotland :
Both the 701RC2 and the 503 are true fluid heads.
-->>>

Thanks, Mark. That's all I wanted to know.

Carlos

Doug Fearman
December 31st, 2004, 04:44 PM
I've been using the 700RC2 head for nearly a year and a half and am very pleased with the smooth pans and tilts it allows. I use it with 3021 sticks. I liked it so much I purchased 2 more heads for the school I teach at.

Brendan Marnell
January 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM
Very useful discussion for a prospective XL2 or XL1s buyer.

May i butt in with a few questions, please?

Have any of you used a tripod with either of these and which one would you recommend for outdoors wildlife videography at fixed well-lit locations? The lightest one perhaps?

Brendan

Matt Gettemeier
January 1st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks for replying Marc! This is the kind of input which makes DVinfo valueable... but please elaborate a little bit. It was my understanding that Manfrotto is recently able to offer TRUE FLUID heads, as opposed to previous LUBRICATED FRICTION heads... which were always marketed as fluid heads... even though they weren't in fact, TRUE fluid heads...?

Okay so in the last year Manfrotto (or with outsourced technology) found a way to incorporate a small fluid cartridge... so that it is now fluid cartridge technology that is allowing Manfrotto to make TRUE fluid heads? Is this the case or can you please further explain?

Previously I understood it to be that Manfrotto only made ONE true fluid head and that within the last year there are just a few additional models added that will be true fluid heads... and I didn't think the 503 was one of them... unless it's been recently updated.

If you want to sell a thousand Manfrotto heads for your company then feel free to explain the differences to us and which heads are the TRUE fluid heads... please?

Allen Mitts
January 1st, 2005, 09:30 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Doug Fearman : I've been using the 700RC2 head for nearly a year and a half and am very pleased with the smooth pans and tilts it allows. I use it with 3021 sticks. I liked it so much I purchased 2 more heads for the school I teach at. -->>>

Doug, I've had a 700RC2 for a while and recently upgraded to a 701RC2. I've found the 701 to be better (smoother) in both pans and tilts making the upgarde worth it for me (at present I am using a light weight Sony TRV38). You might want to check one out.

Regards, Allen

Doug Fearman
January 2nd, 2005, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the information Allen. I'll have to check that out.
Doug

Matt Gettemeier
January 3rd, 2005, 06:22 AM
I'm gonna' be patient here, but I hope we get some more input on the true fluid head vs. lubricated friction head... I swear 99% of the people on this board don't know the difference and they're all too happy to keep it that way!

I've got a g1380 and it's a $900 head... it's also a lubricated friction head made by Manfrotto... I knew that when I bought it... but I didn't mind because I liked how the head felt and operated, but on this board we have a lot of guys who see "true fluid operation" as a status symbol and so they perpetuate ignorance 'cause they don't want to admit that on a basic level their head is inferior to an O'Conner or some other super-high-end brand.

Please give us the details Marc! Otherwise you're going to have a bunch of guys going against the truth that I've struggled to get out...

Again, it was my understanding that only VERY recently that Manfrotto found a way to offer TRUE fluid heads in the recent upgrades to previous models... or is it that Manfrotto found a way to further smooth out the operation of their lubricated friction heads?

This isn't a "my head is better then your head" discussion... (It doesn't matter that I bought an expensive head.) I started this thread to brag up how much I liked the newest cheap Manfrotto head. But from what I understand I'm on the same scale as the rest of these guys... meaning that the main difference in most heads under $1K is in the manufacturing and design quality of the same design... a lubricated friction head. I'm excited to think that Manfrotto is finally able to offer TRUE fluid heads in this price range... if in fact that's the case!

Marc Schotland
January 3rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
The real question is what makes a fluid head truly fluid. Manfrotto has been able to offer true fluid technology for many years and is not a recent development to our head family. The key to the various heads (and what sets them apart) is control. Technically speaking ALL Manfrotto pro video heads are fluid – the heads all contain fluid cartridges as the mechanism to tilt and pan. It’s how one applies drag to the fluid cartridges that set the heads apart from each other. For example, the 700RC2 and 701RC2 are true fluid heads in that all movement is riding on bed of fluid (within the cartridge). But there is limited control of drag for the tilt/pan which can only be achieved by using the pan/tilt lock lever.

The 501 is similar but offers more control over your tilt/pan drag in that a separate dial has been added which applies a Teflon plate onto the tilt mechanism to apply a drag. That is, the 501 is still moving within a fluid cartridge system, but one applies a friction resistance to achieve drag. Hence, it is much better than the 700RC2 and 701RC2 in controlling tilt / pan motion, but one can still feel a slight hiccup when starting/stopping a camera movement when the friction drag is applied (but nowhere near as noticeable if using the pan/tilt lock lever to control drag as with the above 700Rc2 and 701RC2)

The 503, 516 and the new 519 are very similar to the 501 as far as fluid cartridges is concerned, but instead of applying a friction method to control drag, one reduces or increases the amount of fluid in the cartridge to create drag. This system is by far the smoothest as there is never any hard friction applied to create a drag – only a fluid method. This system produces an overall smoother camera move as the fluid is being used to control movement. Many people refer to this group of heads as ‘true’ fluid because the method of drag is contained in the fluid and when comparing the 503 to the 501, the 503 is much smoother when the drag is applied.

The 510 head (since discontinued) is one of our heads that utilize 3 separate fluid cartridges to create drag. That is, one can choose between three different modes of drag (light, medium and heavy – numbered 1, 2 and 3) plus a zero fluid (numbered ‘0’ which bypasses all cartridges and the head is literally free-floating --great for whip pans / tilts).

We used to have, but also since discontinued, the 505 head (VERY similar to the Gitzo G1380),which used a different type of drag control. It can best be described as a ‘pressure control’ system (or Lubricated Friction as Matt noted) of fluid drag on the cartridges, whereas the above 503, 516 and 519 can best be described as ‘volume control’ as the amount of fluid in the cartridges is adjusted to increase/decrease the drag.

So, hopefully I was able to explain this without making the issue more confusing. The 701RC2 is a tremendous fluid head that provides beautiful results without a significant investment. You won’t have all the control capabilities that our high-end heads contain, but that’s why Manfrotto offers a full range for most any application from 22lbs (10kg) down to your smallest DV camera. And in the case of the 519 head, you can use this same head to support your lightweight DV camera all the way up to your 22 lbs load!

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto

Michael Gibbons
January 3rd, 2005, 12:21 PM
I was looking to get a pro head. I stumbled across this thread, became intrigued. Went to B&H (online) and grew more intrigued. So I bought the head. I have had it for a week. My PDX10 resides atop it and a pair of cheap bogan legs I rescued from the storage locker at work.
This is my first "pro" tripod set up. I could not be more pleased. My previous tripod cost $35.00 and only saw use with my little panna DV53 (a great first cam, btw). I never even contemplated putting my pdx on such a contraption, so it is good to have a viable and working support- at a price I could afford.

I would vote that this was, hands down, the best sub $100.00 video purchase I have ever made.

I can't speak for the people with decades of experiance, but I can speak to those who have are starting to upgrade from one chip to three chip cams, and who may have not made a corresponding upgrade in their support hardware.

Buy this head.

Matt Gettemeier
January 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks for replying Marc! I really appreciate responses of this caliber... For me the addiction to the forums is in feeling that I can help others and also find help when I need it. I rarely come to the forums to "push" a product, unless I feel it's REALLY worthy for some reason.

I just happened to feel that this head is a real bargain for the minimal investment. As stated I've already got a really pricey head and I just wanted another set of "ready" sticks for the times that I don't want to drag a BIG pod out! As stated earlier, for anybody that wants to supplement a larger pod... or for anybody just making the move to more professional gear, I think you could do a lot worse then this head... and for the price, you can't do better.

For anybody else following Marc's comments I want to add my own OPINION and say that if you can get a head that provides drag control through VOLUME rather then pressure/friction... I'd go with the VOLUME heads! I have a friction head and I actually like it a ton... but I think you're more likely to get repeatable pans, tilts, and smoother starts and stops via volume control rather then friction control... Ever hear of "stiction"? Stiction is a factor of friction... meaning the breaking point of motion start or the catching point of motion stop... A volume-based head should be immune to stiction/friction. At least in theory...

Troy Lamont
January 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I found this thread by happenstance when looking for a new tripod/head combo.

I bought the 701RC2 based on this thread alone. I'm glad I did!

Especially after reading the very informative technical article by Marc.

Marc,

I applaud you and your company for going the extra step in providing information and getting in touch with the end users.

I upgraded from a store bought Ambico that had seen better days. For me the improvement is dramatic and I love the feel of the RC2 head.

Although I'm not aspiring to any pro levels, when I'm taping my daughter it makes me look more the part! ;-)

Troy
Happy 701RC2/3001 Pro owner

Michael Gibbons
January 4th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Troy
Happy 701RC2/3001 Pro owner -->>>

Hey! That's my set up! And I agree, it rocks. What size cam are you using?

Troy Lamont
January 4th, 2005, 12:17 PM
What size cam are you using?

JVC GR-HD1 (bout 3 lbs), I've also got a Sony TRV20 DV cam but I haven't gotten around to using it with the new setup.

You're right it's a nice setup!

Troy

Allen Mitts
January 4th, 2005, 07:22 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Troy Lamont :
Marc,

I applaud you and your company for going the extra step in providing information and getting in touch with the end users. -->>>

DITTO! Thanks Marc, your informative presence is much appreciated!
And I am really enjoying my 756B/701RC2 combo.

Allen

Brendan Marnell
January 5th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Thank you Marc for your advice in reply to my email.
Great help for the small guy is much appreciated.

brendan

Tim Borek
May 6th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Largely because of recommendations on this message board, I just purchased a new Manfrotto 701RC2 head w/3021PRO legs yesterday from a local camera store. (Price was better than B&H, much to my surprise!) This being my first respectable semi-professional fluid head, I'm unclear about fitting it into a tripod case. Will locking down the tilt for extended periods of time in the +80 to +90 degree position, so the pan bar fits in the tripod case, harm the internal balance spring? Seems to me that this could rob the spring of its elasticity, but I don't know. Would I be better off transporting the tripod with the head at 0 tilt and just loosen the pan bar to fit in the case?

Thanks for taking the time to answer such an elementary question.

Michael Bernstein
May 6th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Ever hear of "stiction"? Stiction is a factor of friction... meaning the breaking point of motion start or the catching point of motion stop... A volume-based head should be immune to stiction/friction. At least in theory...

Also known as the static coefficient of friction. If you have a cinderblock sitting on a table, it's harder to start it moving initially than it is to accelerate it once it's moving (i.e. the delta of the velocity may be 20 cm/s in both cases, but applied force is distinctly higher if initial velocity is zero). Probably true of a greased plate as well.

I don't know if fluid-controlled motion has the same characteristics.

Michael

Matt Gettemeier
May 7th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Sorry Michael... I can tell you're smarter then I am! I was just trying to explain the concept from a layman's pov. I've been into motorcycles my whole life and with the suspension they always mention stiction... at least in relation to the front forks... which are bathed in a film of oil as the fork tubes move in and out... much in the same way that most "fluid" heads are... at least the heads that are actually "lubricated friction" rather then true fluid... which means about 95% of the heads out there.

It's rare to find one which really is fluid controlled... in most cases the motion is damped by a fluid bath... but the actual resistance to motion is provided by friction plates.

Michael Bernstein
May 8th, 2005, 12:58 AM
I never really got to fluid dynamics in my physics courses.

Once the fluid gets involved, I'm sure stuff changes. Maybe I'm wrong in saying that "stiction" is the same as the static coefficient of friction.

Arrhh.

Michael

Maksim Yankovskiy
May 13th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Just wanted to echo everyone's thanks to Marc for such in-depth explanation of fluid heads.

I've been torn between 501HDV and 503 head for weeks, and I got a very important project comming up in the middle of June, so I need to make a choice soon in order to have enough time to experiment and get used to the new setup.

Steve Leverich
May 14th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Depending on your camera, style of shooting, etc, another point to ponder - the 501 heads can have the pan bar mounted to either side, while the 503's only have a mount on the left side of the head. I use the opposing side for a wing nut/bolt to mount a plate that holds my Microtrack audio recorder, for example... Steve

Maksim Yankovskiy
May 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Interestingly enough, all pictures of 503 head had the panbar mounted on the right side. This should not be a problem for me, especially considering that if I get 503 now, I will most likely trade it up for 503HDV by the end of the year. I've got at least one big event I need to shoot before the 503HDV hits retail. I've also heard from many independent sources (some of them not biased) that 503 is smoother on pans, and that's my main requirement.

Depending on your camera, style of shooting, etc, another point to ponder - the 501 heads can have the pan bar mounted to either side, while the 503's only have a mount on the left side of the head. I use the opposing side for a wing nut/bolt to mount a plate that holds my Microtrack audio recorder, for example... Steve

Steve Leverich
May 14th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Looking for more accurate info on which side(s) the different 500 series have pan bar on - my 501 is ambidextrous, but I've seen pix showing different things in different places. Trying ATM to dnl the Manfrotto catalog but their site is slower than molasses in january. Seems to me that having a choice in this is fairly important; as I said, I use the opposite side's threaded hole to mount another accessory, and don't wanna have to rethink that.

If it matters to anyone but me, I'll post when I find out for sure... STeve

OK, the catalog finally finished download; near as I can tell, BOTH sides of the 501, 501 HDV and 503 are equipped with rosettes - apparently the pix on B&H site have some sort of cleverly devised cover on the side that's not being used for the pan bar...

Adam Gold
May 16th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Yes, the pan bar definitely will mount to either side of the 503. I put the 523Pro Lanc pan bar on the right and planned on putting the standard pan bar that came with the head on the left... but the 523 didn't come with mounting hardware. So I had to order the clamp and thumbscrew from Bogen, but now a have two-handed control of the head. Yes, it's overkill, but for me it I can pan and tilt more smoothly when covering sports.

Maksim Yankovskiy
May 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Adam,

Which camcorder are you using 523PRO with? I am curious as to how useful it will be for XH-A1. I am most often controlling iris, zoom, and focus - in that order of priority.

Yes, the pan bar definitely will mount to either side of the 503. I put the 523Pro Lanc pan bar on the right and planned on putting the standard pan bar that came with the head on the left... but the 523 didn't come with mounting hardware. So I had to order the clamp and thumbscrew from Bogen, but now a have two-handed control of the head. Yes, it's overkill, but for me it I can pan and tilt more smoothly when covering sports.

Adam Gold
May 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I use it with my FX1. The 523Pro does not have iris control, but works nicely with focus and zoom.

I read somewhere that the "push-auto-focus" button resulted in some problems with some cams, but I think that was the V1, not the Canon.

Peter Rhalter
May 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I've been torn between 501HDV and 503 head for weeks, and I got a very important project comming up in the middle of June, so I need to make a choice soon in order to have enough time to experiment and get used to the new setup.

I think the 503 is a much smoother head than the 501. When I have used 501's, camera moves always started with a lurch. I would be leery of using them in a situation where there are no re-takes. YMMV.

Best wishes,
Peter

Maksim Yankovskiy
May 31st, 2007, 03:00 AM
Thanks, Peter. I am now a proud owner of the 503 head along with the 315MVB2 legs. The combo is great and the head itself is really smooth, though I am just getting used to it.

I think the 503 is a much smoother head than the 501. When I have used 501's, camera moves always started with a lurch. I would be leery of using them in a situation where there are no re-takes.

Jack Walker
May 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM
I am looking for a very light head. I saw the manfrotto and it looks fine.

However, here is another one that worked great and weighs 1.26 pounds, the Gitzo 2180
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/435028-REG/Gitzo_G2180_G2180_Series_1_Fluid.html

A camera store here has it cheaper than B&H. It doesn't have a bubble, but it is very high quality and works well. It's made for sighting scopes and small DV cameras. I just mention it, because it seems like a good choice for travel, which I am looking for.

It is a Gitzo Series 1. The Gitzo legs are considerably more expensive than the heas, but it would work with other legs.