View Full Version : How do I deliver my HD content? DVD?

Paul Cascio
September 15th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will a DVD release benefit at this time from HDV source material, or am I simply prepping for a future re-release?

Thanks

Ignacio Rodriguez
September 15th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I think mostly the latter. Of course there might be additional benefits in post because of the higher resolution aquisition (i.e., a progressive scan SD image derived from 1080i will probably look awesome). If your movie is short enough, you might want to try including the HD version in full resolution as a data file in WM9 or MPEG4 along with the MPEG2 SD version, so some people could watch the HD version on their computers and --someday-- on MPEG4 or WM9 enabled DVD players.

No such thing as stupid questions here, only stupid anwers, from time to time ;-)

Frederic Lumiere
September 15th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Paul,

Ask yourself this question: "Why are features you get on blockbuster DVDs shot in film or HD?"

The better the acquisition, the better the results...even in SD DVD.

Kevin Shaw
September 17th, 2004, 06:45 PM
An HD DVD player was "announced" way back in January (see link), but as far as I know has never actually started shipping. We have HDV cameras, HDV editing software and a viable HD output format...and no good way to deliver this to customers except for playback on computers or on D-VHS. I'm still hopeful we'll see this situation resolved by the end of the year, but I'm getting tired of holding my breath...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_640.htm

Steve Crisdale
September 18th, 2004, 07:18 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Shaw : An HD DVD player was "announced" way back in January (see link), but as far as I know has never actually started shipping. We have HDV cameras, HDV editing software and a viable HD output format...and no good way to deliver this to customers except for playback on computers or on D-VHS. I'm still hopeful we'll see this situation resolved by the end of the year, but I'm getting tired of holding my breath...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_640.htm -->>>

So, you're not aware of the Roku HD1000 media player?

I believe there are some other HD capable media players available....I just haven't checked 'em out.

There are also some HD out capable video cards - just so long as your HDTV has compatible connectors.....

Mark Paschke
September 18th, 2004, 07:33 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Crisdale :

So, you're not aware of the Roku HD1000 media player?

I believe there are some other HD capable media players available....I just haven't checked 'em out.

There are also some HD out capable video cards - just so long as your HDTV has compatible connectors..... -->>>

I think they are talking about what the mainstream Joe Six Pack "customer that will buy their video" has

I have a HD video card and watch my stuff this way on My 55" HD set but none of my customers do, even though the last wedding I shot involved a whole family that are hunting for last years DVHS tape players right now because they ALL have the HD sets.

we are not to far away folks , just pray they do it right and go dual layer ( or 2 hours) HD DVD at the same time or it will be sort of a waste.

Kevin Shaw
September 18th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Steve: I looked up the Roku product and it appears to be designed to play still photos from memory cards, not high-definition video from DVDs. There are also some DVD players which claim to have HD output, but that's just an upsampling from standard-definition DVDs. What we need is the proposed HD-DVD players promised back in January at a retail price of $349, but not yet delivered to market. As of today the only practical way to share HD content I've seen is using the JVC D-VHS recorders.