View Full Version : Vertical green bar...

Chris Staab
September 21st, 2004, 01:29 PM
I was wondering if the XL2 has corrected the vertical green bar that appears when the camera is pointed at a light source. Anyone noticed?

Lauri Kettunen
September 22nd, 2004, 12:48 AM
You mean, the camera captures a green light ray in certain conditions (as if one had a very clear green laser ray) ? I've seen this once in outdoors conditions with the XL1 and wittnessed the same with a digital still camera twice. Still, never seen a vertical bar.

I suspect this is not a property of Canon camcorders, but instead the effect has to do with digital signal processing and with the specifications. At least, never saw anything similar with the old Betacams (or, needless to say, with ordinary SLR film cameras).

Chris Staab
September 22nd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Yes, a green ray of light would accurately describe it. I have noticed however that it does not occur with the Sony digital cameras. I shot a high sun shot this weekend (w/Sony PD150), and the rays looked similar to the way a Betacam would record it. It was disappoining to say the least, since I am a XL1 junkie. I still love that camera, I just wish it handled direct light and brightly reflective surfaces better. I hope that the XL2 has corrected this problem. Anyone know?