View Full Version : Please tell me its dirty heads. . .

Jason Bagby
August 18th, 2002, 02:35 PM
GL1 doesn't seem to be playing my tapes, doesn't even pick up time code.
happened suddenly- i changed tapes searching for something (always label your tapes!) and trusty GL1 acted like the tape was blank, no time code and viewfinder showed blue screen with the dv tape animation.
then unsavory red icon of tape with lightning bolt started blinking in up right corner of viewfinder- i think its same indicator that tells you tape isn't inserted/erase prevention switch is set on tape. its one year and two months old and not been cleaned. its under a 4 year mack warantee and i hope that its nothing more than needing to be cleaned. any insight on possible problems would be appreciated.
thank you very much!
Bagone

Jeff Donald
August 19th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Have you tried a cleaning tape yet? If not, it is worth a try. Follow the instructions on the tape exactly or you risk damaging your camera. Some extended warranties include an annual cleaning.

Jeff

Jason Bagby
September 2nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
no, good suggestion tho. it was under warantee so i sent it to mack.
i kind of paniced but i don't trust head cleaning tapes to do the job too well, and i'd had it a year so i figure it was time. i sure hate being without her tho.
i called mack about 4 days after it arrived and they hadn't even gotten all the information into the computer from that day's arrivals, so i hope their repair guy is faster than their data entry guy. i also hope all it needs is cleaning.
and i was hoping someone else had this happen and could say it is probably dirty heads, because thats the least of all evils, you know?
and i guess unlike an analog camera where you just get a really crappy picture when the heads are dirty, with digital you don't get nuthin. no picture no audio no timecode and the camera wants to tell you there's no tape in it.
freaky.

Don Palomaki
September 2nd, 2002, 08:23 PM
First symptom of dirty heads is usually moasic block or bands in the playback.

Maybe a supply/takeup reel drive system is not happy.

Jason Bagby
September 3rd, 2002, 10:40 AM
thanks Don. I called mack cam today to see how she was coming, and all they could tell me was that they had it, and the average time for turnaround was 2 to 4 weeks.
do you think that dirt and oil buildup could prevent the takeup wheels from turning or turning at the correct rate? I have read that some people use one type of tape religiously, but I am always running out of tape and having to go to wal mart for more. i like to stick to the panasonic dvm63mq's, and i buy them 5 at a time, but can't ever seem to keep a blank one handy, so i end up with a 2 pack of sonies every other month. I didn't know if there is any validity to the same tape manufacturer theory,
although a more likely culprit would be having spent a week at lake powell utah- land of fun, sun, and fine red dust.
ta.
jason.