View Full Version : need DV surveillance camera

Bud Kuenzli
October 9th, 2004, 06:51 PM
I need a small, discreet video camera with good telephoto. I was looking at the Optura 10 but haven't been needing to look at the current crop of video cameras. This will be used for insurance fraud surveillance. DV quality is fine, it just needs to be somewhat inconspicuous. Currently I own two GL2's but they aren't such a great choice for inconspicuous filming, although they have a great tele range. Any recommendations? Low light, telephoto, small discrete are the critical parameters.

Mike Rehmus
October 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM
You will have to find a lipstick camera that can be sent to your DV camera for recording purposes. There are no really small DV cameras and only a couple that will fit in a medium-sized pocket. The current crop of helmet cams have a 5/8" Sony color camera that auto-switches to B&W when the light gets dim. They would probably work although you can find the camera by itself for less than the $500 they quote.

Laird probably makes the nicest one with regards to packaging although they don't have a sound solution until you invest another $90 in their LTM-AKIT which is nothing more than a small adjustable microphone to line level converter.