View Full Version : How to grab still frames from DVD movie?

Rolland Elliott
October 15th, 2004, 11:05 AM
I want to grab some still frames off a DVD movie I have. The only eidting software I have is Studio 9. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?

I haved tried playing the movie using WindDVD by Intervideo and using my PC's print screen, but only half of the image shows up when I try to paste it into photoshop.

I am mainly a still photographer, so if someone could walk me through the process that would be great!

Thanks, Rolland

Rob Henegar
October 15th, 2004, 03:39 PM
The only way I've ever been able to do that is to rip a portion of the video from the DVD using DVD ripping software, which will convert it out to an mpeg file. From there you can grab frames.

There's probably an easier way, but that's the way I've been doing it.

Rolland Elliott
October 15th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks. What software do you recommend for ripping?

What is the size of the final image in pixels?

Thanks again

Helmi Budiprasetio
October 16th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Cyberlink Power DVD

Richard Lewis
October 16th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Yeah, Power DVD has a function that allows you to take a still while the dvd is playing.

Christopher Lefchik
October 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Rolland, I'm using WinDVD also (version 4). WinDVD can capture still images directly from the DVD while it is playing.

To do this right click in the WinDVD movie window while the DVD is playing. In the context menu that pops up choose Bookmark/Capture>Capture Image. At that point the Capture Browser pops up showing the still just captured from the movie. Click on the still and choose the "Save" button at the bottom of the browser (the middle button in the left row), and the image will be saved in the My Pictures folder in the WINDVD Capture folder.

Much easier than going through the process of ripping part of the DVD and then extracting stills.

Rolland Elliott
October 17th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks everyone for your help!+