View Full Version : LAFCPUG various announcements

Pages : [1] 2 3

Michael Horton
August 26th, 2002, 12:18 AM
The Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group (lafcpug) will hold its monthly gathering this Wednesday August 28, beginning at 6:45PM PM at the LA Film School in Hollywood CA.

It will be "Things that make your life with FCP just a bit Better" night featuring a demo of the brand new DV Companion for OSX by the author himself, Philip Hodgetts. Plus Vol2 of the remarkable effects package, CGM Transitions and Filters for Final Cut Pro with FCP guru and trainer Andrew Balis.

The boys from Digital Film Tree will show off version 2.1 of the AJA Kona Capture Card. Promax's JD Wilcox will have a little "Fun with FCP Keyboard Shortcuts and Modifier keys." Aaton Cohen-Sitt will demo "Gorilla" a suite of software tools designed to assist the creative individual in making a film, or a video. And if thats not enough, we will present another round of "Stump the Gurus," present three awesome show and tells and yes, cap off the evening with another World Famous Raffle.

Doors open 6:00PM for what it sure to be the "hottest" meeting of the year. It is afterall August in Southern California.

But the LAFS has AC

Go to the lafcpug web site for all the details and directions to the LA Film School.

http://www.lafcpug.org/user_schedule.html

Michael Horton
"HeadCutter"
Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group
http://www.lafcpug.org

Michael Horton
March 13th, 2003, 02:05 PM
The Final Cut Pro User Group Network <http://www.fcpugnetwork.org> which consists of over 25 FCP User Groups from around the world will gather in Las Vegas, Wednesday, April 9 at the Mandalay Bay Hotel's Tradewinds Ballroom as part of the annual NAB convention.

On the Agenda, which is still being set, will be "Stump the Gurus" a FCP troubleshooting question and answer session with some of the Countries top FCP Gurus. Also, "Meet the FCP Team" where Final Cut Pro Product Designer Brian Meaney will be joined by other members of the FCP Team for a Q and A and demo.

Ramy Katrib and Zed Saeed of Digital FilmTree in Los Angeles will show how they online NBC's hit comedy, "Scrubs" using FCP and the AJA Kona Card.

Plus there will be "Show and Tells," plenty of food and drink, and a raffle with prizes totaling close to $10,000.

Doors will open at 6:00PM and seating will be first come, first serve. The FCPUG Network will request a $5.00 donation at the entrance.

For more details on this event go to the Los Angeles FCPUG (lafcpug) web site.

http://www.lafcpug.org/nab.html

Michael Horton

Mark Argerake
March 14th, 2003, 10:17 AM
This sounds like a cool deal - I'm planning on attending. Actually if I make it to this months meeting Vegas will be the SECOND user group meeting I've ever been to...

Chris Hurd
March 16th, 2003, 09:13 PM
I never miss these, when possible -- looking forward to this one, as usual -- the raffle is well worth the $5 cover. This will be a great event, as always -- hope to see some of you there. I'll be hanging out in the back with a beer (but no talking during the presentations, please). See ya there,

Michael Horton
March 16th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Hi Chris

Cant guarantee no talking but can guarantee plenty of beer.

:-)

mike

Mark Argerake
March 17th, 2003, 03:28 PM
How long do these meetings generaly run?

Michael Horton
March 17th, 2003, 03:58 PM
My regular meetings run a good 3 + hours. NAB looks to run about 2-2 1/2 hours. We generally like to keep the National shows shorter cause everyone is so tired.

mike

Mark Argerake
March 17th, 2003, 04:03 PM
3 + hours. Oh my. It's going to take me close to 3 hours to get home after an LA meeting. With a 4am alarm clock, maybe I'll just make the Vegas meeting and pass on next week.

Michael Horton
March 17th, 2003, 04:11 PM
We have DVDs of all the meetings. Check the lafcpug Store.

mike

Michael Horton
March 21st, 2003, 07:28 PM
Here is the line up:

6:45PM - 7:15PM Stump the Gurus
lafcpugs monthly FCP troubleshooting Q and A, this month with lafcpug regular Ken Stone, Andrew Balis, and special guest Gurus, Steve Martin of Ripple Training , and FCP Guru, Larry Jordan. They will field questions from the audience in hopes of solving your problem. If they can't and you stump them, you get to pick whatever you want from the Raffle Table. Course you still have your problem but at least you go home with something.

7:20PM - 7:35PM - Tip/Trick of the Month
Steve Martin of Ripple Training will show us how to make a motion menu in FCP and import it into iDVD3

7:35PM - 8:00PM - Plug-ins from Digital Film Tools - Marco Paloni
Marco Paloni from Digital FilmTools will show us the latest and greatest plug ins from their 55mm collection. Plus a look at Zmatte and Composite Suite.

8:00PM - 8:10PM - Open Source Cinema -- Brian Flemming
Brian Flemming, director of the acclaimed Bill Gates-assassination mock-doc "Nothing So Strange," will show off his new DVD. The DVD is not "Nothing So Strange" itself but rather a compilation of video and audio "evidence" related to the Gates assassination. And here's the kicker--you buy the DVD, you get the copyright. You can use any footage on it, including the Zapruder-like shot of the assassination, in any project you wish, without seeking permission. Inspired by the open-source software movement, Brian considers this an experiment in grass-roots marketing and distribution, and says, "I make no claim that I know exactly what I'm doing here."
Film site:
http://www.nothingsostrange.com/

8:10 - 8:30PM - Great Visual Effects - Phil Hodgetts
Intelligent Assistance Phil Hodgetts will show us how to do effects in FCP using only what's in FCP, plus show us what's in IA's latest CD, Great visual Effects, an excellent "do it with me" tutorial CD on working with effects in FCP.

8:30PM - 8:50PM - Break
Past meeting DVDs will be on sale $15.00. Plus Promax will be showing off groovy new toys. And Intelligent Assistance will be selling the brand new Great visual Effects, as well as the must have DV Companion. Plus the "lafcpug Guru Table" where you can get your problems solved by going to the Guru Table and asking a Guru who hopefully will be sitting in one of the chairs at the Guru Table.

8:50PM - 9:15PM - 5 Favorite Ways to achieve a "film Look." - JD Wilcox
Once again we will look at what is perhaps the most requested presentation lafcpug receives, how to achieve a film look in FCP. Well Promax's JD Wilcox has 5 favorite methods and will show them all.

9:15PM - 9:30PM -Creating a Motion Favorite - Guy Cochran
DV Creators Guy Cochran is back, this time to show us how to create a motion favorite to apply to a range of clips for quick, smooth automated moves. This is a HUGE time saver folks.

9:30PM - 9:40PM - "Derelect" - Bill Lippincott & Paul Kelleher -Show and Tell
"We did this video for the Band 'Macho Pinto'. I am friends with them and for the past year they had been telling me "you are going to be our DERELICT ...if we ever make the video". Somewhere around Dec 7th or 8th I saw the LAFCPUG call for entries and I asked/told them I should make the video. They said yes, I asked Paul to help. then write, shoot, edit, boom drove it to your house on the 29th. So the user group
inspired me to get us to complete our first '100% ours' project."

9:40PM - 9:50PM - World Famous Raffle

Michael Horton
April 16th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Next Meeting of the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, April 23, 6:45PM PM at the Digital Cinema Lab, 6433 Hollywood Blvd

The Los Angeles Debut of Final Cut Pro 4

Join us for a up close, personal, and in depth look at FCP 4.0. as FCP Product designer Brian Meaney and FCP Product Manager Paul Saccone will be down from Cupertino to go in depth, take questions, and gather feedback on all things FCP 4. This will be a rare opportunity to be among the first to see this app in action, up close and demoed by the folks who built it. And yes there will be PLENTY of time for Q and A.

Plus a quick tour of the "Future of Digital Cinema" with the head of the Entertainment Technology Center, Charles Swartz, and of course, Stump the Gurus, and World Famous Raffle.

The Digital Cinema Lab is housed in the old Hollywood Pacific Theater and has a seating capacity of over 1000 so there will be plenty of seats. And what better venue to discuss the future of FCP then in the place where the future of Digital Cinema is and will be determined.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda (Subject to change)

6:45PM - 7:10PM Stump the Gurus
lafcpugs monthly FCP troubleshooting Q and A, this month with lafcpug regular Ken Stone, Andrew Balis, and special guest Gurus, Steve Martin of Ripple Training , and author, Lisa Brenneis. They will field questions from the audience in hopes of solving your problem. If they can't and you stump them, you get to pick whatever you want from the Raffle Table. Course you still have your problem but at least you go home with something.

7:15PM - 7:30PM - The Future of Digital Cinema - Charles Swartz
The Digital Cinema Lab is housed under the umbrella of the Entertainment Technology Center run by the University of Southern California. It's chief mission is to "be a global leader in providing a test bed for digital cinema distribution and exhibition, as well as for the growing use of digital cinema technology in image creation and post production." In other words this is the place where the future of digital cinema is being determined. Charles Swartz, head of the ETC will talk a bit on what they do and how they do it, and show an 8 minute film that will knock your socks off.

7:35PM - 8:30PM - Final Cut Pro 4 - Brian Meaney and Paul Saccone
Quite possibly the most anticipated release of what is certainly the most widely used NLE software in the world, FCP 4 finally makes it Los Angeles debut. With over 300 enhancements to the UI and "helper apps" such as LiveType, SoundTrack, Cinema Tools, and Compressor, it can be said with some truth, that prior to FCP 4, all of us were using FCP "Lite."

FCP Product Manger Paul Saccone will begin by giving us all a brief overview of FCP 4 including the 4 Helper Apps. Paul will then be joined by FCP Product Designer Brian Meaney as they will attempt to go through as much of those 300 new enhancements to the UI as time allows. Many of these enhancements you will be seeing for the first time, anywhere.

8:30PM - 8:55PM - Break
There will be plenty going on before, during, and after the show in the HUGE main lobby. We are attempting to bring a little bit of NAB to you and as of this moment there will be representatives from AJA, Medea, DV Creators, Promax, Digital Anarchy, Intelligent Assistance, and Apple. They will be showing off such cool toys as new Io BOB from AJA, storage solutions from Medea, the 17" PowerBook from Promax, FCP Tips and Tricks from DV Creators, "Text Anarchy" from Digital Anarchy, and the X Serve Raid from Apple. Intelligent Assistance will be on hand to sell DV Companion and Great Visual Effects. Digital FilmTree will be selling the brilliant Color Corrector for Final Cut Pro DVD. And much much more. Keep watching this page.

9:00 - 9:45PM - FCP 4 Q and A and feedback - Brian Meaney and Paul Saccone
This is where it gets fun. You, the audience have the floor and you determine what we see and learn through your questions and feedback. The better the question, the deeper we go into the app. This is YOUR time so come prepared.

9:45PM - 9:55PM - World Famous Raffle

For more info including directions to the Digital Cinema Lab and parking Instructions, go to the lafcpug web site.

Michael Horton

Michael Horton
May 15th, 2003, 09:59 PM
This is cut and paste from Ralph Fairweather who now authors our DVDs.

Forgive me, but a shameless plug follows....

You can see the ?LA Debut of FCP 4? at LAFCPUG April 23, with over 2 hours of Brian Meaney and Paul Saccone from Apple/FCP holding forth and previewing the 300+ new workflow features in FCP4, in the comfort of your home entertainment center.

http://www.lafcpug.org/store_april_03_dvd.html

Went all out, and indexed it with about 80 Chapter Markers, with one-click access from the Index menu to all the following subjects.

--Ralph Fairweathwer

STUMP GURUS - 12

Undo In-Out points

3 dB increase in audio on ETT

Modify Speed in TL w-o rippling

Making clean text

Travel Mattes - Alpha and Luma

Font Management

Using Media Manager

Find Unused Clips

Rotoscoping

Deinterlace web graphics

Setting Autosave Preferences

Activate Timeline Window

PAUL OVERVIEW - 4

Creative Freedom

Professional Features

Extensible and Flexible

Price and Availability

TED Io OVERVIEW - 4

What is the Kona card?

What does Io look like?

Io Technical Specifications

Pricing and Availability

PAUL'S DEMO - 4

RT Extreme

LiveType

SoundTrack

Audio Mixing

BRIAN's EDITING DEMO - 13

Audio Mixer Rundown

Reveal Master Clip

Merge Clips

New Track Patch Panel

New Auto-select Feature

Autosave Improvements

New Master Clip Behavior

Custom Column Layouts

Trimming Enhancements

Customize Keyboard

Time Remapping

Resize Individual Tracks

Scroll Wheel Support

QUESTION and ANSWER - 48

Support for control surfaces

Importing your own loops

Preserving render files

File formats in SoundTrack

MPEG compression workflow

Any stop-motion feature?

Cinema Tools

Compose 5.1 audio in SoundTrack

Audio pulldown

Moving files to LiveType

Audio effects and nesting

Sound change lists

Dupe frame detection

OMF support for 24-bit

Future of multicam support

Script-based editing

Tempo changes in SoundTrack

Multiple audio In and Out

Backward compatibility with FCP 3

Capturing across TC breaks

Live capture in camera mode

Volume automation

Upgrade path

Control-click for reel names

Throughput for uncompressed video

Education discounts

Frame View in Color Correction

Auto-rendering

Clip names in Media Manager

Audio sample rate conversion

Apple listens

Plugin support

SAN support

Undo history

Secondary color correction

More preserving render file

RT Extreme and 3rd-party cards

HDR and 32-bit float rendering

Importing files into LiveType

Timeline selection shortcut

Realtime and Io uncompressed

24 frames per sec and TC

New Item Properties functionality

Going from FCP to LiveType

10-bit log and Cineon files

FCP and TC-Out

Sub-pixel processing algorithms

Apple and Firewire drives

--Ralph

Michael Horton
May 21st, 2003, 05:04 PM
Next Meeting will be Wednesday, May 28, 6:45PM PM at the LA Film School in Hollywood

"Extreme Sports Night"

Tonight's meeting will be a visual feast of thrills, spills and general mayhem, all things associated with getting footage of "extreme sports" onto tape. From top fuel dragsters to skateboarding to BMX, tonight will feature some of the wildest footage you can imagine and feature camera mounts and equipment never before seen, techniques you need to know, and plenty of ideas to take home. Wear a helmet for this one folks and bring the kids. It's going to be fun. Get there early as we will also being showing a very cool slide show compiled by Sports Photograher Tony Donaldson as part of the pre show festivities. These pictures will really get you in the mood.

Agenda (subject to change and it probably will)

6:45-7:15PM - Stump the Gurus
Ken Stone, Andrew Balis, and Steve Martin of Ripple Training will field your questions and concerns about FCP, and if they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but at least you get something for the pain.

7:20 - 7:45PM - Hands Free Video System - Rick and Chris Boggs and Jake
Rick and Chris Boggs are brothers who are the principle owners of CatchItCam, a hands free video system that is used for such sports as mountain biking, snowboarding, motorcycling, auto racing, surfing, etc. They will not only demonstrate the usefulness of this very cool system but show clips of what this system has captured over the years.

You can catch a bit of what they will show at the catchit cam web site. They will also be set up in the lobby so you can touch and play with the system. In addition, Rick's Guide Dog Jake will be on hand to take questions about his owners development of the GuideDogCam, a camera mount for Jake designed to share the awesome work these dogs do, but do so from their perspective.

7:45PM - 8:00PM - Extreme Sports - Chuck Eastman
Chuck Eastman has been editing extreme sports for years and will show us clips from ice & rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, etc plus take questions.

8:00 - 8:15PM - Motor Racing - Howie Zechner
Howie Zechner will be showing parts of the 2002 United States Speedway National. It's the race that decides what rider will wear the #1 for the 2003 season. This event features Americas best riders on 500cc fuel powered brakeless motorcycles. Howie's company RAZ Video Productions has produced this event since 1983.
From Howie:
"Originally it was shot and edited on 3/4 and then Betacam. Two years ago I went to a school taught by Steve Martin and he showed me the digital light with FCP. The 2002 National was shot on my own digital cameras and edited on a 733 G4 just like the one Steve taught me on. Needless to say I pushed it to the hilt. I had 14 hrs of raw footage from 6 digital cameras and 2 hours of betacam footage that I converted over to D/V. It came out real, but I bought a Power Mac G4 1.42GHz Dual Processor so I could cut down on render time in future projects. It also allowed me to send my product out on DVD. Talent on Speedway National was done by myself, Bruce Flanders (the CART and Long Beach Grand Prix announcer) and Terry "Ike" Clanton, the Costa Mesa speedway announcer and author of the book "Wyatt Earp Murdered My Cousin". Besides doing Speedway, RAZ is also the house video company for the new Irwindale Speedway NASCAR track.

8:20-8:35PM - Skateboard Videos- Brandon Schrichten -
17 year old Brandon Schrichten has been skateboarding for 5 years and has been editing and filming skateboard videos for 3 years. In addition, Brandon also works for recording artist Richard Klender who owns Songtracker.com and just completed his new CD titled "RAIN." in which he edited and directed four music videos for the CD compilation. His current skateboarding video is called "Plus One."
Brandon uses the trademark name "Three Amigos" on all of his videos and hopes to attend Film School upon graduation from High School.

8:35-8:55PM Break
Lots going on in the lobby for the break. Promax will hopefully be showing off new toys as they often do. The Guru Table will be open once again staffed with FCP Gurus to solve all your problems. Intelligent Assistance will also be on hand selling the must have DV Companion, Troubleshooter, and groovy "Great Visual Effects" CDs. Digital FilmTree should also be on hand selling the awesome "Color Correction for FCP DVD." Furthermore CatchItCam will also be in the lobby showing off the awesome hands free video systems they have developed. And if that's not enough to suck the life out of your wallet, FCP 3 Keyboard KeyGuides will be on sale for the low low price of $7.00

9:00-9:25PM - More tools you can Use - Jim Greer
Jim Greer will be talk about "how do you do this?" including setting up camera mounts, lip stick cameras and the use of direct to Hard Drive recording, techniques he employs in his work as DP for Top Fuel Dragster (330 Miles per hour in 4.5 seconds) and Shifter Cart (those little go-Carts that run 140 MPH) events. Least you think one must do motor racing to use the techniques and equipment Jim employs, wait till you see this.

9:25-9:35PM - SuperCross, BMX and Skateboard - Evan Nesbit
DP Evan Nesbit will show us a trailer from the 35mm feature "SuperCross" a multi million dollar feature on Motocross racing. Plus footage he shot for Vans and Ford featuring National Champion BMX and Skateboarders. He will also take questions.

9:35PM-9:50PM - Extreme Sports - Todd Grossman
Director Todd Grossman has shot numerous films, documentaries and commercials for such clients as ESPN, Fox Sports and Sony Pictures. Grossman was nominated for best documentary of the year, for XXX: A FILMMAKERS DIARY. A former professional inline skater as well as competetive skateboarder and snowboarder, Todd has shot, edited, and directed everything ranging from Logic Skateboard Media's home video series, to followcaming the bike/blade/board athletes in the ramps at summer contests. As an athlete and actor he has appeared in various feature films and commercials such as BATMAN & ROBIN, and starred in the Michael Bay directed NIKE Superbowl commercial series, THE ALPHA PROJECT. Todd will show various clips from his large body of work and take questions.

9:50-10:00PM World Famous Raffle

Further info can be had here

Mike

Michael Horton
June 20th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Next Meeting will be Wednesday, June 25, 6:30PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

"lafcpug's 3 year Anniversary"

Tonight's meeting will celebrate the three year Anniversary of lafcpug and the birth of FCP 4 and it will be HUGE. Well of course it will. To help us celebrate we are bringing in Andrew Baum of Pinnacle to show off the brand new Cinewave 4 for Jaguar, Tim Wilson to show off Boris Red 3GL (boy is it fast) FCP 4 RT Extreme, Show and Tells, Stump the Gurus and World Famous Raffle. Also in the lobby will be Promax showing off new toys, 12 inch Design showing off their very cool motion graphic backgrounds, the FCP Guru table AND Panasonic showing off the brand new SDX900 DVCPRO Camera and the AJ-SD930 DVCPRO 50 Deck running under FCP4. Whew!

Get here early. Doors will open at 5:30PM and once the seats are filled we close them.

Agenda (subject to change)

6:30PM - 7:15PM - Stump the Gurus
To allow for questions concerning FCP 4 we are adding 15 minutes to this months Stump the Gurus. Join FCP Gurus, Andrew Balis, Ken Stone and special guests author and educator Charles (Chawla) Roberts ("FCP 2 for Firewire Editing" and Final Cut Express) Daniel Berube, Founder of the Boston FCP UG, and Steve Martin of Ripple Training as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table

7:20PM - 7:45PM RT Extreme - Steve Martin
So how extreme is FCP 4 RT Extreme,? What kind of RT can you expect on YOUR Mac? What is this "Safe Mode"? What filters and transitions work with RT Extreme. Steve Martin will answer all these questions and more as we go in depth and inside RT Extreme and try our best to break it.

7:45PM -7:55PM "Turquoise" Show and Tell - GiGi Mullins and Stephen Savage
Turquoise is the first feature-length digital video western, presented by the creative team of GiGi Mullins and Stephen Savage. This is the first feature for both Savage and Mullins, who is only the second woman since the silent film era to direct a western. Mullins also served as the project's editor, working entirely with Final Cut Pro. Savage wrote the award-winning script and played the lead character, as well as composing the film's score and editing sound. Turquoise is a true independent endeavor, produced on a micro-budget of less than $7000, with principal photography completed in just 3 weeks. The quality of the final product, we are proud to say, far surpasses the limitations of money and time.
For more information visit their web site turquoisethemovie.com

7:55PM - 8:30PM - Cinewave 4 - Andrew Baum
There is no other Capture card on the market with as many Real Time Effects as Cinewave 4. Now with support for Jaguar and FCP 4 and (just announced) "Live Type," Cinewave 4 is shaping up to be the premier SD AND HD solution for FCP 4 users. Who better to show it to us than the original product manager for Final Cut Pro and now current product manager for Cinewave, Andrew Baum. Andrew is always entertaining and Cinewave 4 is a must see even if you are not in the market for a SD or HD solution.

8:30PM - 8:55PM - Break
In the Lobby will be Promax showing off new toys, Cinewave 4 for Jaguar and the brand new Panasonic AJ-SD930 DVCPRO 50 Deck running under FCP4. (hook it up via firewire folks) Intelligent Assistance will also be showing off the must have Troubleshooter for FCP and Great Visual FX CDs.
Panasonic reps will also be on hand (BEFORE the meeting only) showing off the new SDX900 DVCPRO Camera. Also in the lobby will be 12 inch Design showing off their very cool and highly original Motion Graphics backgrounds. Plus another addition of the FCP Guru table where we "guarantee" you'll get your FCP 4 questions answered.

8:55PM - 9:30PM - Boris Red 3GL - Tim Wilson
Forget everything you know about Boris Red. You haven't seen it until you see the brand new Boris Red 3GL. And no one shows it better than lafcpug favorite Tim Wilson. Boris Red 3GL is the first integrated 3D compositing, titling, and effects application to implement OpenGL hardware acceleration technology and it is wicked fast and works INSIDE FCP or as a stand alone application. If you dont understand Open GL hardware acceleration technology you will after this presentation. It is the future and the future is here.

9:30PM - 9:40PM - "Mixers" - Show and Tell - Beth McElhenny
"Mixers" was shot on 16mm, edited via MiniDV on FCP3. I wrote/directed/edited this project, but got a tremendous amount of help and wonderful actors (3 or 4) who may show up at the meeting on the 25th, too.
Logline: Spring has sprung, at it's time for the annual apartment get together._ So quench your curiosity and_meet your neighbors. 1 part_barbecue,_1 part get together, anda box of wine --- shake and enjoy."

9:40PM - 9:50PM- Show and Tell

9:50: - 10:00 - World Famous Raffle
ShuttlePro - Contour Design
ShuttleExpress - Contour Design
Boris Red 3GL - Boris
Copies of "Inside Editing with FCP 4" Training DVD - Magnet Media Films
I FREE FCP 4 Training class - Promax Hollywood
Copies of Motion Graphic Backgrounds - 12 inch Design
2 FCP 4.0 Keyboard KeyGuides - Neotron Design
2 Royalty Free Stock Footage CDs - ThinkStock Footage
Troubleshooter for FCP 3 - Intelligent Assistance
Great VisualFX for Final Cut Pro - Intelligent Assistance
DVD Companion Pro Pack - Recipe 4 DVD
Various books - CMP Books
"Smothered- The Censorship Struggles of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" DVD- Lillian Benson
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net
2 copies of lafcpug DVDs - lafcpug

Michael Horton
July 9th, 2003, 11:28 PM
The FCPUG Network which consists of over 25 Final Cut Pro User Groups from around the world will gather at the New Yorker Hotel, Thursday July 17 as part of the MacWorld/CreativePro festivities. This will be the largest gathering of FCP users and Gurus on this East Coast this year.

The agenda is as follows

5:00PM:
Public Doors Open

5:30PM - on:
Cash Bar opens and Hors d'oeuvres
Show up early, browse the vendor tables and NETWORK with those who use Final Cut Pro.

6:30PM_- 7:00PM - Stump the Gurus
30 minutes to get your FCP problems solved with the countries top FCP experts. If you can't solve it here, then it probably can't be solved.

7:00PM - 7:10PM - Welcome and Announcements
A chance to tell you who we are and who is there.

7:10PM - 7:35PM - DVD Studio Pro 2 - Brian Schmidt
Scheduled to ship in August 2003, you can forget everything you know about DVD Studio Pro 1.5. DVDSP 2.0 has been built from the scratch up, had it's price slashed in half, and now combines the ease of use of iDVD with the professional features of any high end DVD authoring system. Plus it looks and behaves a lot like FCP, integrates easily with After Effects and Photoshop and ships with dozens of "not cheesy" templates for quick and easy authoring.
Who better to demo then Apple's very own Brian Schmidt.

7:40PM - 8:00PM - "Frank Gehry" - Show and Tell - "Special Guest"
Directed by Sydney Pollack and edited on FCP, this documentary on legendary architect Frank Gehry was just picked up by PBS "American Masters" series.

8:00PM - 8:35PM - Final Cut Pro 4 - Paul Saccone
FCP product manager Paul Saccone will take us through "what you NEED to know, and what's new in FCP 4.

8:35PM - 9:00PM - Break
Plenty to do and see during the break. There will be several vendors in the adjacent ballroom showing off their wares as well as the "Guru Table" to get your problems solved. Plus drinks and snacks and plenty of time to get to know one another.

9:00PM - 9:40PM - Q and A on FCP 4
This is the part of the show where it gets real fun. It's your turn now.
Most of you have had plenty of time to "play" with FCP 4, LiveType and Soundtrack and read about DVD Studio Pro 2, and most of you have lots of questions and plenty of ideas. Here is an opportunity to not only get your problems solved from some of the people who built the programs but give feedback for a future release. The better the question and the better the feedback, the better this part of the show.

FCP's Product Manager Paul Saccone, DVDSP 2's Product Manager Brian Schmidt, Soundtrack's Product Manager Alec Little, and LiveType's product designer Tom Langmacher will be on hand to field all your questions and ideas.

9:40PM - 9:50PM - Raffle
A HUGE raffle, because we always have HUGE raffles.

This event is open to the public on a first come first seated basis. Once the seats are filled, the doors will close.

There will be a $5.00 donation requested at the door. For directions to the New Yorker Hotel and for more information on this event, go to the lafcpug web site.

http://www.lafcpug.org/creativepro.html

Chris Hurd
July 10th, 2003, 01:19 AM
I've been to several of these now, and they're always a blast. Will be at this one, too. Please keep the talking down in the back. Find me so I'll have an excuse to have another drink. See y'all there.

Michael Horton
July 10th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Will be good to see ya Chris. This room has good acoustics. At least it did a couple years ago.

mike

Michael Horton
July 21st, 2003, 12:00 PM
Next Meeting of theh Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, July 23, 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood. Theme of meeting will be:

"Much more on FCP 4"

6:45PM - 7:15PM - Stump the Gurus
Join FCP Gurus, Andrew Balis, Ken Stone and Larry Jordan as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20PM - 7:40PM "How to use the Time Remap feature in FCP 4 - Ken Stone
Ken Stone will be making his demo debut at this months lafcpug and show us how to use FCP 4's brand new and really fun "Time Remap" feature. Someone is going to have to take Ken's camera away and take HIS picture.

7:40PM - 7:50PM - "Mixers" Beth McElhenny -Show and Tell
"Mixers" was shot on 16mm, edited via MiniDV on FCP3. I wrote/directed/edited this project, but got a tremendous amount of help and wonderful actors (3 or 4) who may show up at the meeting on the 25th, too.
Logline: Spring has sprung, at it's time for the annual apartment get together._ So quench your curiosity and_meet your neighbors. 1 part_barbecue,_1 part get together, anda box of wine --- shake and enjoy."

7:50PM - 8:20PM "How to use the new Audio Mixer in FCP 4" - Dan Brockett
FCP 4 has given us a HUGE amount of improvements in the way it handles audio and Audio Guru and filmmaker Dan Brockett will show us how to use the new RT Audio Mixer plus take us on a tour of the many audio enhancements FCP 4 has given us.

8:20 - 8:30PM - SFETT - Marco Torres and his Students
Apple Distinguished Educator Marco Torres and a few of his students from San Fernando High School's SFETT will talk briefly about the upcoming iCan Student Film Fest. For those of you who don't know about SFETT you should check it out HERE. It's a great story.

In the Lobby will be Promax showing off new toys and answering questions on the just announced G5 PowerMac Intelligent Assistance will also be showing off the must have Troubleshooter for FCP and Great Visual FX CDs plus talk about their upcoming new products for LiveType and Soundtrack..
Plus another addition of the FCP Guru table where we "guarantee" you'll get your FCP 4 questions answered.

9:00PM - 9:25PM - "How to use LiveType" - Phil Hodgetts
Philip Hodgetts will take us through what is proving to be a most popular addition to the FCP 4 package, LiveType. We will learn not only how to create killer titles but how to get from FCP to LiveType and back to FCP.

9:25 - 9:40PM - "PhotoShop techniques to FCP" - Dale Ellis
Apple's Dale Ellis will show us a couple techniques using Photoshop to create effects and then bring into FCP. From Dale:
"One involves separating and animating elements within a static photograph to create the illusion of movement. This effect was used extensively in the
documentary of Producer Robert Evans' life, "The Kid Stays in the Picture." It's a neat alternative to the Ken Burns pan-and-scan effect.
The other effect allows you to to create titles or graphics that you can not only cut out to reveal another layer of video but to add INSIDE drop shadows to the cutout (something nearly impossible with FCP alone.)"

9:40 - 9:50PM - "True Human as the Hanged Man" - Daniel Foster -Show and Tell
"True Human as the Hanged Man" was commissioned as a stand-alone theatrical projection for Zu Blanchard's one-man show, The True Human. Directed and created by Daniel Foster/Eye Awake Studio.

9:50: - 10:00 - World Famous Raffle
1 FCP EZ Keyboard - Bella Corpration
Color Corrector for FCP DVD - Digital FilmTree
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

There will be a $5.00 donation respectfully requested at the door

For more information and directions to LA Film School go to the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
August 23rd, 2003, 03:11 PM
Next Meeting will be Wednesday, August 27, 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

"The LA Launch of DVD Studio Pro 2"

Join us for one of the biggest events of the year as we introduce you to DVD Studio Pro 2. Scheduled to ship in August 2003, you can forget everything you know about DVD Studio Pro 1.5. DVDSP 2.0 has been built from the ground up, had it's price slashed in half, and now combines the ease of use of iDVD with the professional features of any high end DVD authoring system. Plus it looks and behaves a lot like FCP, integrates easily with After Effects and Photoshop and ships with dozens of "not cheesy" templates for quick and easy authoring. Brian Schmidt from Apple will be on hand to demo and answer any and all questions and concerns, plus by the time the evening ends you'll know how to use this app.

Plus DVD Guru Bruce Nazarian, using DVD Studio Pro in the Real World, Megan Cunningham on building a DVD, DVD Show and Tell, Stump the Gurus and least we forget about FCP 4, FCP Product Designer Brian Meaney

Mark your calendar now. This one is going to be HUGE!!.

_

This meeting may or may not be taped and available on DVD

6:45- 7:15PM - Stump the Gurus
Join FCP Gurus, Andrew Balis, Ken Stone author Lisa Brenneis and FCP Product Designer Brian Meaney as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20 - 7:55PM - DVD Studio Pro 2 - Brian Schmidt
DVDSP 2.0 has been built from the ground up, had it's price slashed in half, and now combines the ease of use of iDVD with the professional features of any high end DVD authoring system. Plus it looks and behaves a lot like FCP, integrates easily with After Effects and Photoshop and ships with dozens of "not cheesy" templates for quick and easy authoring. Brian Schmidt from Apple will be on hand to demo and answer any and all questions and concerns, plus by the time the evening ends you'll know how to use this app.

8:00 - 8:20PM - More New Features in DVDSP 2 - Bruce Nazarian
From Bruce: "So many new features, where to begin? We'll show off a number of professional new features included in DVDSP2, like the new Scripting Interface, and the connections window, and review some features which have not changed, like Stories.

8:20 - 8:40PM - Building a DVD with DVDSP 2 and FCP 4 - Megan Cunningham
Megan Cunningham (Magnet Media) will take you briefly through the design and
construction of a DVD designed for the rock-band, The Petersens. She will go over menu construction --specifically, how to use overlays and layer menus, as demonstrated in Inside DVD Studio Pro 2. The DVD --and the training it was featured in-- were both designed using Final Cut Pro 4 and DVD Studio Pro 2.

Magnet Media is a New York-based production company that produces two DVD training series for creative professionals -the Digital Media Training
Series, and Zoom In. They also produce documentaries (Sundance Channel,
First Look, IFC, PBS). More information about Magnet Media is available at www.magnetmediafilms.com.

8:40 - 8:50PM - "3d Film Fest Trailor and DVD" - Les Perkins - Show and Tell
"I've just cut together a One-Minute Trailer for a 3D Film Expo coming up at the Egyptian Theater in September. It's more than 30 films from the 1950s, plus short subjects, in the greatest collection of 3D films ever assembled. Presented in the true, clear, polarized glasses, too - not the red-blue anaglyph process. __Check out the web site: www.3dFilmFest.com. I've also created a DVD that will be sold as a souvenir of the 3D event. __It's a collection of more than 40 movie trailers, even a few of them in 3D (red-blue glasses). __I'm doing it all: the menuing, the editing, color correction, audio sweetening.

8:50 - 9:10PM - Break
In the Lobby will be Promax showing off new toys and answering questions on the just announced G5 PowerMac Intelligent Assistance will also be showing off the must have Troubleshooter for FCP and Great Visual FX CDs and Killer Titles CDs plus talk about their upcoming new products.
Plus another addition of the FCP Guru table where we "guarantee" you'll get your FCP 4 questions answered.

9:10 - 10:00PM - FCP 4.0.1 and Q and A - Brian Meaney and Brian Schmidt
FCP Product Designer Brian Meaney will go over what's in the new upgrade to FCP, 4.0.1, and take questions and feedback concerning FCP and it's future. Brian will also be joined by DVDSP 2's Brian Schmidt for questions about DVDSP 2.

10:00: - 10:10 - World Famous Raffle
1 Free 3 day FCP Training Class - DV Creators
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

Further details and directions to LA Film School can be found at lafcpug web site.

Michael Horton
September 20th, 2003, 10:26 PM
The Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group will meet Wednesday, September 24, 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

Bring your dancing shoes as we will be Making Music at the next meeting of the lafcpug with Demos of SoundTrack Logic Platinum 6 and SonicFire Pro 3.1

Musician and DV Guy Ron Margolis will show us all we need to know about how to get started with SoundTrack and how best to utilize it in your movie. Like SoundTrack? Wait till you see the completly redesigned SonicFire Pro 3.1 from SmartSound. Stephanie Joyce will demo.

Then Zed Saeed of DigitalFilm Tree will give us an over view of Apple's newest acquisition, Logic Platinum 6. Plus more on FCP 4, Stump the Gurus, World Famous Raffle and lots of show and tells.

Join FCP Gurus, Andrew Balis, Ken Stone and special guest Steve Martin of RippleTraining as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20PM - 7:30PM - FCP Tip/Trick Of the Month - Andrew Balis
This one is a killer involving new features of the range selection tool to work as a full-fledged trimming tool. FCP Guru, trainer and now author Andrew Balis whose new book "Advanced Editing and Finishing Techniques in Final Cut Pro 4" is scheduled to ship next month, will demo.

7:35PM - 8:05PM - Getting started with SoundTrack - Ron Margolis
SoundTrack is one of the free Pro apps that ships with FCP 4. "Soundtrack lets you create high-quality, royalty-free music for your Final Cut Pro 4 projects, quickly and easily. Featuring a friendly user interface and workflow specifically designed for working with Final Cut Pro 4, Soundtrack enables you to create original music scores on your own..." DV Guy and Muscian Ron Margolis will show us eveerything we need to know to get started.

8:05PM - 8:15PM - "All Over the World" -Tony LaTorre - Show and Tell
From Tony: "I'll be showing a music video I directed and edited in February. The artist is Robert Sanders. The song, "All Over the World" became popular on Armed Forces Radio and has played there for over a year. The video was shot on the new Panasonic AG-DVX100 DV video camera.

I am a video editor and motion graphic designer. I currently work for AOL Broadband, while maintaining my business as a demo reel editor. I have previously worked as a motion graphics designer for the television programs "Blind Date" and "Fifth Wheel"

8:15PM - 8:40PM - SmartSound SonicFire Pro 3.1 - Stephanie Joyce
SmartSound Sonicfire Pro 3.1 is designed from the ground up to help you create perfect music soundtracks custom fit to your videos in just minutes."SmartSound SonicFire Pro 3.1 features a powerful, yet easy-to-use process called the "Maestro." Significantly updated for version 3.0, the Maestro helps you quickly locate the musical selections that will most likely fit your video and allows you to audition them in real time with it. You can specify your search criteria and choose from such parameters as style, mood, intensity, key, Beats Per Minute (BPM) and instrument (such as "guitar", "strings", "drums/percussion" etc.). You can mix and match search criteria around the way you like to work. The new Maestro allows you to listen to any piece in the SmartSound music library - whether you own it or not and regardless of where the song is located - and, if you like it for your scene, purchase it and download it in minutes." SmartSound's own Stephanie Joyce shows us all we need to know.

8:40 - 9:00PM - Break
In the Lobby will be Promax showing off new toys and answering questions on the just shipped G5 PowerMac. Intelligent Assistance will also be showing off the must have Troubleshooter for FCP and Great Visual FX CDs and Killer Titles CDs.

9:00PM - 9:25PM - Logic Platinum 6 - Zed Saeed
DigitalFilm Tree's Zed Saeed has spent a great deal of time with Logic, one of the newest acquisitions from Apple. What is Logic?

"Logic Platinum 6 is the most widely used program of its kind in professional music production. It elegantly combines composition, notation and audio production facilities in one comprehensive product.

Logic Platinum offers a comprehensive set of music creation tools featuring rock-solid MIDI timing and synchronization, mixing and automation with total recall, and non destructive real-time editing of both audio and MIDI. It also offers superb MIDI timing with 960 PPQN and sends and receives synchronized MIDI clock, MTC, MMC and word clock signals, making it ideal for film, TV and video post-production facilities."

9:25PM - 9:35PM - "Ray Dell Tubbs Gets Famous" - Brandon Walter - Show and Tell
"Ray Dell Tubbs Gets Famous" is a feature documentary following a Venice Beach bum off the streets and back to his home of Houston, Texas where he tries to get his life in order. The documentary goes into detail on just how Ray Dell ended up on the streets. The marvelous thing about Ray is his ability to find happiness in the most depressing situations. www.raydelltubbs.com

9:35PM - 9:45PM - "Stupid Fool" - Pons Maar
Pons Maar comes from a visual and performing arts background and mainly works in film and TV as a puppeteer/creature efx performer and coordinator. He is the Co-Chair of the National Puppeteer Committee in SAG. He has been working in FCP for about 4 years while also using DECK, PEAK, Studio Artist and Photoshop. This short was originally just a sound piece with the visuals added later using Studio Artist extensively. Pons is interested in process, decay, and found elements. Most of his work involves mixing up and messing with what is.
Pons Maar has some cool stuff on his website that you should see... http://homepage.mac.com/ponzzz

9:45 - 9:55PM World Famous Raffle

Complete details can be found at the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
October 18th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Next Meeting will be Wednesday, October 22, 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

"Dual 2gig G5 vs the Dual 1.4.2 G4 "

Join us for a very special night where we will discuss the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the New G5 from Apple. If all goes to plan we will have a shoot out between the G4 Dual 1.4.2 and the Dual 2gig G5 using Final Cut Pro real world examples and talk about whether the G5 is right for you now or later. Plus, Steve Martin with a LiveType tip/trick, Larry Jordan on "When Bad Things Happen to Good Apps, Show and Tells, Stump the Gurus with an all star panel, and of course, World Famous Raffle.

This meeting may or may not be taped and available on DVD

What a panel! If there is any reason to show up for this meeting it's to hang around these folks.

Join FCP Gurus, Andrew Balis, Ken Stone and special guest Gurus, Steve Martin of RippleTraining, Philip Hodgetts of Intelligent Assistance, Author of the Visual QuickPro Guide, Lisa Brenneis, Co-Creator of Final Cut Pro, and author/filmmaker, Michael Wohl as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20PM - 7:30PM - Matting video to text in LiveType - Steve Martin
This month Steve Martin of RippleTraining will show you why LiveType is more that an app that makes your text shake, rattle, and roll. LiveType is a true motion graphics powerhouse, that puts hundreds of options at your fingertips. One of those options is matting video to text and other non-text objects to create incredible titles and DVD motion menus. Follow along with Steve as he builds a DVD motion menu in record time. The project he will be demonstrating is right out of the forthcoming FCP4 Advanced book he co-authored from PeachPit Press.

7:35PM - 7:45PM - Time lapse imagery - Tony Donaldson - Show and Tell
It's a short experimental film of time changes. Slow motion and time lapses, much of it done with still cameras more than video cameras, though the slow motion was done with video. I was inspired to do it by some friends, and it wound up being a bigger project than I'd anticipated. It runs the gamut, from nature to sports, five minutes and 19 seconds of variety based on my experiences with what I normally do (still photography) and the various video projects I've done, and a fascination of time lapse imagery.

7:45PM - 8:15PM - The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth about the G5 - JD Wilcox and Cawan Starks
Using two projectors we will attempt a "shoot out" between the G4 Dual 1.4.2 and the Dual 2gig G5 using Final Cut Pro real world examples and talk about whether the G5 is right for you now or later. We will also take your requests and answer any and all questions on issues that are currently affecting the G5. Plus (hopefully) we will provide benchmarks on Panther running on a non FCP optimized Dual 2gig G5.

8:20PM - 8:35PM- "Ivory Gate" - Drew Mylrea - Show and Tell
Showing a remarkable amount of maturity in not only narrative structure but camera technique and pacing, 17 year old Drew Mylrea will drive down from Scotts Valley to show off his movie, Ivory Gate.
From Drew:
Drew Mylrea is a high school senior living in Scotts Valley High, CA. Alongside of going to school he teaches the Video Productions class at the school ( check it out at http://www/svhs.svsd.org/vp/ ). The film he will be showing, Ivory Gate, was filmed over the course of three months, shot with the AG-DVX100, and edited all on Final Cut Pro. Ivory Gate centers around a young man Stephen, and his pursuit of truth in his life.
Note: If time permits we will show the entire film (30 minutes) at the close of the meeting.

In the Lobby will be Promax showing off new toys and answering questions on the just shipped G5 PowerMac. Intelligent Assistance will also be showing off the must have Great Visual FX CDs and Killer Titles CDs.
Michael Wohl and Lisa Brenneis will be selling their respective books for a big discount. Visual QuickPro Guide for FCP 4 will be selling for $18.00. Michael's excellent NEW edition of "Editing Techniques in Final Cut Pro will be going for $28.00.
lafcpug will be selling past "lafcpug on DVD meetings" (Oct 2001 - Oct 2002) for 3 for $10.00
HUGE Systems will also be in lobby showing off their storage solutions.

9:00PM - 9:25PM - "When Bad Things Happen to Final Cut Pro" - Larry Jordan
There is nothing more frustrating that your lean, mean, state-of-the-art-editing machine thumbing it's nose at you and quitting unexpectedly. Before you start slashing your wrists or babbling uncontrollably, take a listen as FCP guru Larry Jordan presents "What to do when good Apps go bad."

Larry will cover:
1) How can unlimited RT make your life difficult on output?
2) How do render files interact with playback to make your life
difficult on output?
3) What to do when FCP unexpectedly quits
4) How to optimize your hard drives to improve video playback
5) When and how to run Repair Permissions
6) When and how to run FSCK
7) What to do when FSCK isn't enough
8) What to do when your timeline won't output?
wronged system

And more

9:30 - 9:40PM - Dalai Lama - Joshua Lee Cohen - Show and Tell
I am going to show a video of a man named Joel Kuwahara who traveled to Dharamsala India to teach the monks of the Dalai Lama's monestary how to burn DVD's to preserve teachings of the Dalai Lama. Director Doug Pray shot the video and we edited it over a 2 1/2 period of time from 30 hours of footage down to
the 5 minute video it is now. The video is not intended for broadcast, just a document of what they did and a chance for me to practice on Final Cut Pro.

9:40PM - 9:50PM "Couple on a Street Corner" - Dean Chamberlin - Show and Tell
Down and out young lovers make a difficult decision. Shot live at the corner of Santa Monica and Vine.

9:50PM - 10:00PM - World Famous Raffle

More info and directions to LA Film School can be found here.

Michael Horton
November 15th, 2003, 04:27 PM
The Next Meeting of the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, November 19, 6:45PM -at the LA Film School in Hollywood

Because of the Thanksgiving Holiday we are moving the meeting to the THIRD Wednesday of the month. Join us for a very special night where we will discuss the trim window in FCP 4, Automatic Duck, Panther, Stoyboarding, plus Show and Tells, Stump the Gurus and of course, World Famous Raffle. Wow.

Join FCP Gurus, Andrew Balis, Ken Stone and special guest Gurus, Steve Martin of RippleTraining, and Co President of the Chicago Final Cut Pro user Group, Matt Geller as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20 - 7:25PM - FCP FAQ - Jim Perry
Lafcpug is working hard to launch what we hope to be the most extensive FCP FAQ on the planet. Videographer and web designer Jim Perry will give us all a sneak peak at what we have done so far.

7:30PM - 7:55PM - Automatic Duck - Wes Plate
Wes Plate, President of Automatic Duck, Inc. will visit to demonstrate their new plug-ins for Final Cut Pro 4. These may just be the plug-ins you have been waiting for, finally there will be OMF and AAF import into Final Cut! Automatic Duck will be offering two copies of their awesome plug-ins in the raffle too! Don't miss it.

8:00 - 8:15PM - Story Boarding with Final Draft AV and KeyNote - Frank Collin
Final Draft AV, the professional A/V script processor and KeyNote, Apples presentation application, can do a lot more than what it says on the box. You can use these two apps to easily create storyboards for your next move. Final Drafts Frank Collin shows us how easy it is.

8:20PM - 8:40PM - Tips for working in the trim window in Final Cut Pro 4 - Scott Barbour
Scott Barbour has learned a lot very useful tips since accepting the job at Apple. He'll share a few of them with us and tonight concentrate on the Trim Window in FCP 4.

In the Lobby will be Promax showing off new toys including the Decklink HD Capture Card and answering questions on the just shipped G5 PowerMac. Intelligent Assistance will also be showing off the must have Great Visual FX CDs and Killer Titles CDs. Don Burton will be selling tickets and talking about the upcoming TurkeyShoot Film Festival.
lafcpug will be selling past "lafcpug on DVD meetings" (Oct 2001 - Oct 2002) for 3 for $10.00

9:05PM - 9:35PM - FCP and Panther - Philip Hodgetts
Philip Hodgetts will be revealing some of the cool new features of Panther, including an introduction to the Exposé and the new desktop file management. He'll be explaining the different ways to upgrade - and when not to upgrade - and demonstrating how Final Cut Pro performs under the new operating systems. Most importantly, he'll be telling us how to avoid some of the problems that can arise with OS X 10.3 Panther.

9:35PM - 9:45PM "Couple on a Street Corner" - Dean Chamberlin - Show and Tell
Down and out young lovers make a difficult decision. Shot live at the corner of Santa Monica and Vine.

2 copies Final Cut Pro 4 On the Spot - CMP Books
2 Copies of Automatic Duck - Automatic Duck
Copy of Final Draft and Final Draft AV - Final Draft
2 Licenses for SheerVideo Pro Software Video Codec - BitJazz
5 $20.00 Gift Certificates - Paquito Mas Restaurants
2 copies of ProMax QuickStart Training DVD-ROM for Final Cut Pro 4 - Promax
Killer Titles for Live Type and Calligraphy - Intelligent Assistance
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net
1 copy of each copies of lafcpug DVDs (Oct 01 - Oct 02)- lafcpug

For more info including directions to the LA Film Scholl go to the lafcpug web site.

Michael Horton
December 7th, 2003, 08:56 PM
lafcpug and THE FCPUG NETWORK are teaming up to bring you the largest gathering of FCP Users and Gurus on the planet during the month of December . Space is limited and seating is on a first come first served basis.

Where? DV Expo - LA Convention Center
REGISTER BY DEC4 or go HERE and print out invite to avoid paying $75.00 at door
When? Thursday, Dec 11th 5:15PM until we drop
Why? Because we need somplace to hang out and wait for traffic to die down.
How Much? - $5.00 donation will be requested to help cover expenses
Any raffle prizes? Of course

AGENDA (subject to change)

5:15PM - 5:45PM - Stump the Gurus
Join Steve Martin of RippleTraining, Philip Hodgetts of Intelligent Assistance and more FCP Gurus to be announced as they attempt to solve all of your FCP problems or feel really bad if they dont.

5:50PM - 6:20PM - FCP 4.1 and AJA's brand new Io LA and LD - Paul Saconne
Most of you are familiar with how many streams of Real Time uncompressed video FCP 4.1 can handle in Safe Mode on a Dual G5 running Panther hooked up to 14 drive Xraid with an Io from AJA. But what can it do in Safe Mode with DV to the internal drive that ships with the G5? Apple's Paul Saccone is going to show us. Plus, what is in FCP 4.1 and why do we need it. Plus, we will be among the first in the country to take a look at AJA's brand new low cost Io LA and LD breakout box. Plus, Paul will take questions. Plus, Paul will answer them.

6:25PM - 6:40PM - How to get media off a DVD and imported into FCP - Brad Wright
Brad will show us how easy this process is by using the tool he created called DVDxDV

6:45PM - 7:15PM - Editing NBC's "Scrubs" with Final Cut Pro - Rick Blue and Ramy Katrib
The hit television show from NBC, "Scrubs" has been using FCP exclusively this season and is the first network TV show to do so. They are just about half way thorough the seasons 22 episodes and Scrubs editor Rick Blue along with Digital FilmTrees's Ramy Katrib will show and tell us everything we need and want to know about editing a network TV show with Final Cut Pro. How's it's going so far? It's going very well.

7:20PM -7:35PM -Taming the Wild and Wacky Autoselect Option in FCP 4.1- Tom Wolsky
Author and FCP Guru Tom Wolsky will attempt, (without a net) to show and explain the Autoselect Option in FCP 4.1. Children are warned to cover their eyes.

7:35 - 7:45PM - "The Last Game" - Show and Tell - Alex Weinress
"The Last Game" tells the story of a sucessfull High School coaches last season. The LA Times said "This may be one of the best Sports Documentaries ever made." USA Today gave it 4 stars and said; "it is to High School Football what "Hoop Dreams" was to Basketball." Director and Editor Alex Weinress will show clips and answer questions.

7:45PM - 7:-55PM - World Famous Raffle

Prizes include:
$500.00 credit coupon towards ANY product from AJA Video Systems - AJA
2 copies "Final Cut Pro 4 Editing Essentials" by Tom Wolsky - CMP Books
Copies of "Liquid" and "Fancy Ones" Live Fonts - LiveType Central
2 Copies of Motion Graphic BackGrounds - 12inch Design
DVD Studio Pro 2 - Apple
FCP 4 T-shirts - Apple
SteadyTracker Lite - Promax
2 copies "Shoot for the Cut" (Canon GL2) - Magnet Media Films
2 copies "Shoot for the Cut" (Panasonic DVX100) - Magnet Media Films
2 copies "Zoom In" (Canon GL2) - Magnet Media Films
13 copies of lafcpug DVDs (Oct 01 - Oct 02)- lafcpug
All the details can be found at lafcpug's web site.
http://www.lafcpug.org/dvexpo.html
--------------------
Michael Horton

Michael Horton
December 31st, 2003, 05:40 PM
FCP Event at MacWorld

The Final Cut Pro User Group Network, <http://www.fcpugnetwork.org> which consists of over 30 FCP UGs throughout the world, will hold a gathering at Macworld on January 7, beginning at 7:00PM at the Mezzanine Club in downtown San Francisco.

Scheduled to appear on the agenda will be FCP Creator and Chief Architect, Randy Ubillos who will discuss Final Cut Pro 4, and VERY special guest, First Assistant Editor to Walter Murch, Sean Cullen, who will talk about using FCP in the motion picture “Cold Mountain.”

Also scheduled to appear will be Gary Adcock and Brett Shapiro who will show off HD on a laptop, plus filmmaker show and tells and Raffle with prizes totaling into the thousands of dollars.

There will be food and drink available and doors open at 6:00PM. Seating is first come first serve and is limited.

A $5.00 donation will be requested at the door for this event and it is open to the public.

For more information including full agenda and directions to the Mezzanine Club, go to the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group web site. <http://www.lafcpug.org/creativepro.html>

Michael Horton
January 20th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Next "regular" Meeting will be Thursday, January 22, 2004 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

It will be "DOC" Night at the next meeting where we will cover everything you want and need to know about using FCP in the creation of documentaries, including managing media, creating your story, distribution and much much more. Plus show and tells, Stump the Gurus and of course, World Famous Raffle.

Agenda (Subject to change and it probably will)

Join FCP Gurus, Andrew Balis, Ken Stone and special guest Gurus, Steve Martin of RippleTraining, Philip Hodgetts of Intelligent Assistance and author Lisa Brenneis, as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20 - 7:50PM - Making Money Making Docs - Chuck Braverman
Chuck Braverman is a producer, director and cameraman for his own production company, Braverman Productions, Inc. He is well-known for his fast cut KINESTASIS montage films, including the three-minute history of the United States, AMERICAN TIME CAPSULE. Chuck has also directed several television movies and many episodic shows. He has won two Emmys for his documentaries, Clios for his commercials, and in 2001 took the top Feature Documentary award from the Directors Guild of America for HIGH SCHOOL BOOT CAMP and was nominated for an Academy Award for the documenatary short CURTAIN CALL. Last year his documentary ROCKY AND ROLANDO was nominated for a DGA award.

7:50PM - 8:10PM - "Cinerama Adventure" - Dave Strohmaier
Dave Strohmaier will talk about making his documentary Cinerama Adventure and the challenges and difficulties of doing a documentary on the historic lost widescreen film format. Cinerama thrilled audiences around the globe from 1952-1965 with its giant screen presentations and ahead of its time 7 channel surround sound. Subjects that will be covered include: filming 66 hours of original footage / interviews and editing without transcripts, specialized 6 perf. 35mm & 65mm film telecine, special 3D effects used to simulate a Cinerama experience, Creating an HD master for 35mm film out from an original NTSC online, final Dolby SRD sound mix. Behind the scenes video examples will be shown along with a clips from the documentary.

8:10PM - 8:30PM -Home Video and Television Sales for your Doc - Ted Bonnitt
Ted Bonnitt, of the film marketing company 7th Planet Radio Pictures (radiopictures.com) directed and produced his FCP DV doc "Mau Mau Sex Sex" (maumausexsex.com) DIY style, and self-distributed it to commercial theaters in 20 major U.S. cities on DVD- a first. He's spent the last 2 years researching new ways to distribute his doc to the home video market, which will hit stores in February. Ted will discuss low-budget approaches to attracting distributor and retailer interest in your doc, and creative deal making with home video distributors that can yield you 2 to 5 times more money per DVD sale than with traditional distribution deals.

He'll provide an overview of the home video distribution system and how to navigate it as a digi-indie, while not getting lost in the wholesale shuffle. He'll also offer tips on international broadcast sales. Specifics include:

-How to prepare your doc for home video and television sales during and after production.

-How to market your doc to theaters, home video distributors and overseas television sales agents from the same computer that you made your movie on.

- Necessary marketing materials to prepare: sell sheets, press kits, publicity and packaging.

In the Lobby will be Promax showing off new toys. Intelligent Assistance will also be showing off the must have Great Visual FX CDs and Killer Titles CDs and talking about their brand new "Assistance on Demand."Steve Martin will be selling his brand new fresh off the shelf LIVETYPE TEXTURES lafcpug will be selling past "lafcpug on DVD meetings" (Oct 2001 - Oct 2002) for 3 for $10.00

8:50PM - 9:20PM - "Making Docs: The Process" - Myles Connelly
Filmmaker and Editor Myles Connelly has worked on dozens of documentaries, most notably for legendary production company, MacGillivray Freeman Films, producers of such IMAX films as Everest, The Living Seaand Dolphins. Currently in release is the feature film, "Young Black Stallion," in which Myles served as Production Supervisor. From Myles:
Specifically, I will cover -

1. Modern documentary forms - reality and non-fiction for broadcast, cable non-fiction, theatrical
2. Getting off to a good start - Production essentials including priorities list, capturing quality sound, production logs and notes.
3. The fluid nature of docs, or "everything's worth a try" including the use of archival, outakes, stock footage, etc.
4. Make the movie, then write the script - the circular logic behind most documentary scripts
5. Now you're done - What to do with your doc - distribution in today's market
6. Five ways to know when you've gotten too close to your project - learning to let go.

9:20PM - 9:35PM - "Making Gretchen" - Peter Jazwinski
From Peter:
"First I'll show a 5 minute clip of "Making Gretchen." This is a documentary currently in post production with a premiere set for 3/1. It's the story of a 29 year old woman who hired a production company to shoot a short film that she wrote and starred in. They shot in Los Angeles on 35mm film over the course of 1 week. I followed them from production meetings through post with my sony PD150 and shotgun mic. I'm currently editing on FCP 3. I logged 2000 minutes of footage.
I'll talk briefly about managing story, notes and ideas as I tried to structure the movie. The most daunting task was realizing that I had 51 tapes and no script to follow. Since nothing particularly outrageous happened, I had to find a way to craft something interesting. To do this I used a combination of notes, logging information and a keen memory."

9:35PM - 9:45PM - World Famous Raffle

Copies of DVDxDV - Brad Wright
Copy of LiveType Textures - Ripple Training
FREE FCP 4 hands on Training Class - DVCreators.net
Filter Set 1 - Graeme Nattress
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net
13 copies of lafcpug DVDs (Oct 01 - Oct 02)- lafcpug

http://www,lafcpug.org

Michael Horton
February 21st, 2004, 12:44 PM
Next Meeting of the LA Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, February 25, 2004 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

It will be "Motion Graphics and Effects Night" where we will introduce you to the world of Compositing and Motion Graphics, a huge part of Final Cut Pro and a part only few really understand.

Scheduled to appear will be Alex Lindsey from dvGarage who will talk about what you need to know about Visual Effects BEFORE you shoot your movie. He'll be covering the topics Photogrammetry, Blue/Green Screen keying, HDRi lighting, Matchmoving and more.

Also scheduled to appear will be Kevin (Telly) Monahan who will show tips and tricks from his soon to ship book, "Motion Graphics and Effects in FCP." This long awaited book is scheduled to ship Feb 20

Also Walter Shires, author of Eureka Plug-ins for FCP

AND special guest, Academy Award wining Editor Walter Murch who will share "experiences" on using FCP to edit the movie, "Cold Mountain."

Plus another round of Stump the Gurus and oh, yeah.. World famous Raffle.

There will be a $5.00 donation respectfully requested at the door.

Join FCP Gurus, Ken Stone, Andrew Balis and special guest Gurus, Steve Martin of RippleTraining, and author Lisa Brenneis, as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20PM - 7:50PM - "What Filmmakers Need to Know About Visual Effects" - Alex Lindsey
What you MUST know BEFORE you shoot a movie that has ANY visual effects. Alex Lindsay, former member of Industrial Light and Magic's "Rebel Unit" and founder of dvGarage, will walk you through what you need to do on the set to make your Visual Effects Supervisor (for beginning filmmakers...the students at the local art school) love you! If you ever plan to shoot a movie with ANY visual effects, you need to know these tips! Topics covered: Photogrammetry, Blue/Green Screen keying, HDRi lighting, Matchmoving and more...

7:50PM - 8:10PM - Eureka Plug-ins - Walter Shires
The very first set plug-ins to be written using FCP's own FX Builder, Eureka Plug-ins made it's debut back in the FCP 1.0 days. Walter Shires, the author will show and tell the latest version of Eureka plug-ins for FCP 4 and FCE 2.

8:10PM - 8:40PM - Final Cut Pro Effects Tips and Tricks - Kevin Monahan
FCP Guru and co founder of SFCutters, the San Francisco FCP User Group, Kevin Monahan will give us the low down on how to do some very cool effects in FCP 4. These How2s are a part of Kevin's new book "Motion Graphics and Effects in FCP."set to ship Feb 20 2004. Kevin will also be selling a LIMITED supply of the book in the lobby before the meeting and during the break.

8:40PM - 9:00PM - Break
Kevin Monahan will be in lobby selling his long awaited book "Motion Graphics and Effects in FCP." for the LOW LOW price of only $30.00. There will be a very limited supply. First come, first serve. Intelligent Assistance will also be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType. lafcpug will once again begin selling "Lafcpug on DVD" beginning with Januarys 2004, "Doc Night." Price will be $20.00.

9:00PM - till we drop - FCP and "Cold Mountain" - Walter Murch
Academy Award winner Walter Murch and his first assistant Sean Cullen first walked into the offices of Digital FilmTree in Hollywood over 2 years ago to learn about this new NLE system, named Final Cut Pro in the hopes that they might use it for an upcoming movie they were doing titled "Cold Mountain." After a brief training session with the boys at DFT they decided that indeed FCP was right for them and off they went to Romania with a half dozen or so FCP workstations in tow and 15 months later the film was in the can. The real story is what happened during those 15 months. Mr Murch will be in Los Angeles to attend the Academy Awards as a nominee for Best Editing for Cold Mountain and one of his many stops during his brief stay will be with lafcpug. He will share "war" stories on using FCP to edit Cold Mountain and take your questions.

Directions to LA Film School and more info can be found on the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
March 1st, 2004, 12:38 AM
Cold Mountain to be featured at FCP event at ShowBiz Expo, March 4

Sean Cullen, First Assistant Editor to Walter Murch on “Cold Mountain” will be the featured guest at a gathering of Final Cut Pro users and Gurus, Thursday March 4 at the Hotel Pennsylvania beginning at 7:00PM as part of the annual ShowBiz Expo in NYC. Michael Horton of the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group (lafcpug) and Michael Vitti of the NYC FCP UG are producing this event along with leaders from several FCP UGs from around the country.

Scheduled to appear along side Sean Cullen will be Evan Schectman who will talk about FCP and HD. Abba Shapiro, author of “Final Cut Pro 4 On the Spot” will show FCP Tips and Tricks. Dan and Don Berube from the Boston FCP User Group will show clips from their latest movie. Erik Bryan Slavin will discuss shooting with the Panasonic DVX100 from capture to output, and finally Ted Schilowitz of Aja will show off the low cost Io LA and LD. And of course there will be a raffle

Doors will open at 6:30PM. For more information and details on this meeting, go to the LA FCP UG web site. <http://www.lafcpug.org>

There will be a $5.00 donation requested at the door.

Michael Horton
March 21st, 2004, 07:03 PM
Next Meeting will be Wednesday, March 24, 2004 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

It will be "Creative Troubleshooting Night" at the next meeting of the lafcpug

Scheduled to appear will be Diannah Morgan, author of the brand new book, "Creative Titling with Final Cut Pro. Diannah will show Creative Titling tips and tricks.

Also scheduled to appear will be Paul Hackner from DaneTracks who will discuss getting the best audio you can before you go to Post and then fixing the audio in Post because you screwed up and didn't get the best you could before Post.

Also Part 2 of "Troubleshooting your FCP System" with FCP Guru, Larry Jordan.

And finally another round of Stump the Gurus, Show and Tells and oh, yeah.. World famous Raffle.

There will be a $5.00 donation respectfully requested at the door.

Join FCP Gurus, Ken Stone, and Andrew Balis as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20PM - 7:30PM - "Adding a Dream Look to your movie" Tip/Trick O' the Month - Jake Benjamin
Recent graduate from Fitchburg State College in MA, Jake Benjamin is currently interning at DigitalDomain here in LA and on his way to taking over the world. He is a former student of Charles (Chawla) Roberts. Jake will show us how to add a dreamy look to your footage with one hand tied behind his back and no net.

7:30PM - 7:55PM - Creative Titling with Final Cut Pro - Diannah Morgan
Author of Creative Titling with Final Cut Pro, Diannah Morgan will show us tips and tricks on, uh... getting creative titles out of Final Cut Pro. Well, what did you expect?

7:55PM - 8:05PM - "Chip Monck" - Jud Pratt - Show and Tell
On February 20, lighting designer Chip Monck was presented with the Parnelli Lifetime Achievement Award. He is known as the "Voice of Woodstock," having been roped in by the promoter who neglected to hire an MC. He is infamously known for giving the warning about the "brown acid" in the movie.

This short video, which was shown prior to the award presentation, is a brief biography of Chip's professional career working with acts such as The Doors, Janis Joplin, Rolling Stones, the Ali/Foreman fight in Zaire, Broadway shows "The Rocky Horror Show" and "Divine Madness," as well as perfecting the concept of the sports staduim as a music venue.

Parnelli Awards link:
http://www.proproduction2004.com/events/chipmonck.html
My website:
http://www.theionosphere.com

8:05PM - 8:35PM - Getting the best audio before you go to Post and then fixing it in Post - Paul Hackner
Dialouge editor Paul Hackner who works at the famed Sound Design house, DaneTracks here in Los Angeles will discuss tips and tricks on getting the best audio you can during production as well as what you need to know if taking your audio to a Pro House, and what you can do if you screwed the whole thing up.

8:35PM - 8:55PM - Break
A chance to ahng out and meet and greet and get your problesm solved. Intelligent Assistance will be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType. lafcpug will once again begin selling "Lafcpug on DVD" beginning with Januarys 2004, "Doc Night." We will also be taking orders for the February meeting with Walter Murch. Price will be $20.00. And, hopefully the boys from Promax will be with us to show off toys and answer your questions. And more.

8:55PM - 9:20PM - Troubleshooting your FCP System Part Deux - Larry Jordan
Due to overwhelming demand, FCP Guru Larry Jordan is back, this time with more tips on keeping your FCP system healthy and what to do when things go wrong. Larry will also provide phone numbers for mental health clinics in and around Los Angeles for those who express interest.

9:20PM - 9:30PM - "Love Supreme" - X.Dean Lim - Show and Tell
"Love Supreme" - A project from X. Dean Lim - writer/director of the satire "The Yellow Truth" (downloaded 100,000 times since Nov. 03). "Supreme", a song by British artist Robbie Williams, is the first music video from the Lim who has never studied writing, directing or film-making in any way. Shot in the last week of March, many of the synch issues were solved through the Los Angeles Final Cut User Group forum.

9:30PM - 940PM - "Awake" - Tito da Costa
"Awake" is a student project that pushes Final Cut Pro creative capabilities to the limit, with complex composites and various FXs.

9:40PM - 9:50PM - World Famous Raffle

More info at the lafcpug web site:

Michael Horton
April 7th, 2004, 12:44 AM
------------------------
Final Cut Pro Users from around the world will gather Wednesday April 21 at the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas as part of the annual NAB Trade Show. Set to appear on the agenda are Gary Adcock from the Chicago FCP User Group who will present “"HDTV and your Creativity: Using HD for Technical and Scientific Analysis." Also scheduled to appear are Ted Schilowitz from AJA and First Assistant Editor Eric Jessen who will show and discuss the workflow that created the soon to be released movie, “SkyCaptain and The World of Tomorrow.” <http://www.skycaptain.com/home.html>
FCP Product Designer Brian Meaney and Apple’s Paul Saconne will also be on hand to present and discuss the latest on Final Cut Pro.
Doors open at 5:30PM with the show set to begin at 6:30PM. Food and drink will be available and seating will be first come, first served. A $5.00 donation will be requested at the door.
For more information visit the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group web site. <http://www.lafcpug.org/nab.html>

-------

end

Michael Horton
April 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Join us and the FCPUG Network at NAB for the largest gathering of FCP Gurus on the Planet

Where? Conference Center, Stardust Hotel, Las Vegas
When? Wednesday, April 21, 6:30M till 9:30PM (doors open 5:30PM)
Why? - Because you need to get out and learn something and then PARTY!!

This event is open to the public. Seating is first come first serve.

There will be a $5.00 donation respectfully requested at door

5:30 - 6:30 Social Hour.
This is a chance to meet and greet and eat and drink and generally get to know one another and to put faces to all of those names you you see on the online forums and the FCP world. Our generous sponsors will be there to answer all your questions on their respective products, as well as the inaugural FCPUG NETWORK GURU TABLE, manned by 8 of the countries top FCP Gurus. Plus we will be showing clips from the lafcpug February DVD with Walter Murch, and Boston's own Dan and Don Berube's latest movie, "Senator Fowler's Big Secret," shot with the Panasonic DVX100. Plus MUCH more

6:30PM - 6:40PM - Introduction of UG leaders
FCP User Group leaders from around the world will be in attendance and we will introduce them to you. Who knows, you might have a FCP UG in your own back yard.

6:45PM - 7:00PM - "HDTV and your Creativity: Using HD for Technical and Scientific Analysis." - Gary Adcock
Chicago's own Gary Adcock will present "HDTV and your Creativity: Using HD for Technical and Scientific Analysis." (We will be handing out cans of Red Bull and spray bottles for this presentation)

7:05PM - 7:20PM - Super Secret Presentation
Someone will talk about... something super secret

7:25PM - 7:55PM - "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow," - Erik Jessen and Ted Schilowitz
One of the most anticipated films of 2004 is "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow," scheduled for release this Summer, 2004. Shot Completely in front of a Blue Screen by first time director Kerry Conran and starring Jude "I only do movies cut on FCP" Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie, we are going to take a look and discuss the unique workflow using FCP, Kona HD, Shake and After Effects to create this blockbuster. Ted Schilowitz from AJA and First Assistant Editor Erik Jessen are set to appear.

7:55PM - 8:15PM - Break
Another chance to meet and greet, buy more raffle tickets, get your problems solved from the FCP Guru Table, talk to vendors, buy drinks, desperately search for any left over food, and stretch your legs. Or if you like, stay in your seat and watch short movies made by the kids at Fitchburg St College in MA. Also a VERY limited supply of the lafcpug February DVD with Walter Murch, will be on sale for $20.00, CASH

8:15PM - 9:15PM - Final Cut Pro: The latest - Brian Meaney and Paul Saccone
FCP Product Designer Brian Meaney and FCP Product Manager Paul Saccone will join us to talk about and answer all your questions on.....something super secret. Yes, there will be time to ask questions

9:20 - 9:30PM - World Famous Raffle
Currently over $19,000 worth of raffle prizes

More details will be set Sunday Afternoon April 18.

For more info go to
http://www.lafcpug.org/nab.html

Michael Horton
April 27th, 2004, 02:00 AM
The next meeting of the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, April 28, 2004 6:45PM at the LA Film School in Hollywood and will feature the LA debut of Apple's brand new Motion Graphics app, "MOTION" plus a NAB Wrap up, Multicam in Final Cut Pro, show and tells, Stump the Gurus, World Famous Raffle and MORE!

Join FCP Gurus, Ken Stone, and Andrew Balis, plus special guest Steve Martin of Ripple Training as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20PM - 7:35PM - "NAB Wrap-Up - Larry Jordan, Steve Martin, Philip Hodgetts, Noah Kadner
A very brief discussion on what was seen and heard at this years NAB by those that were there.

7:40PM - 8:00PM - MultiCam in Final Cut Pro - Brian Gary
Many FCP Users were disappointed that true "Multicam" did not make it into the latest build of FCP so Brian Gary of Flying Chaucer Films will demo a couple methods that should make your life easier if you are dealing with more than one camera.

8:05PM - 8:40PM - TBA

A chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. Intelligent Assistance will also be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType. DV Creators will also be in lobby selling their latest and greatest DVD Tutorial, "DV Enlightenment" ($75.00) which will teach you all you need to know about lighting for DV. lafcpug will once again be selling "Lafcpug on DVD" the February meeting with Walter Murch. Price will be $20.00. And, hopefully the boys from Promax will be with us to show off toys and answer your questions. And more.

9:00PM - 9:40PM - Everything you want to know about "Motion" - Greg Niles
This will be the Los Angeles Debut of Apple's real time Motion Graphic Design app, Motion. This app was the big hit at the recent NAB and the Product Designer himself, Greg Niles from the Motion team will show it off and answer all your questions. Set to ship this summer Motion features real-time previews, procedural behavior animation and Final Cut Pro HD integration. It simply has to be seen to be appreciated.

9:40PM - 9:50PM - "Beaux & D'aria" -Chris Bosen and Maryellen Owens - Show and Tell
"Beaux & D'aria" is an unscripted 8-minute comic mockumentary following two "indie" filmmakers on their path to film festival glory -- think "Project Greenlight" meets "Waiting for Guffman". Shot on Panasonic's DVX100 and edited on FCP4 on a G4 Powerbook by first-time narrative filmmakers Chris Bosen and Maryellen Owens, the film was created from first shot to final output in less than 48 hours for Extreme Filmmaker.com's 48 Hour Film Festival on a budget of just $12 in miniDV tape stock. At its February premiere to two sold-out shows at the Arclight, the film won the Audience Choice Award and commendations for Outstanding Writing and Performances.

FREE "Zoom In DVDs" to first 200 people through the door - Magnet Media

Copies of SpeedTruck Challenge - Darren Purcell
Copies of "Pure Drifting" - Dan Brockett
FCP 101 OR 201 Training Class - DigitalFilm Tree
Copy of Color Correction for FCP -DigitalFilm Tree
Copies of DVDxDV - DVDxDV
Copies of DV Enlightment - DVCreators.net
SheerVideo Pro Codec -http://www.bitjazz.com
Copy of "Motion" - Apple
Practical Color Correction For FCP - Intelligent Assistance
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net
Copy of the Feb lafcpug meeting with Walter Murch -lafcpug

For complete details and directions to the LA Film School, go to the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
May 22nd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Join us Wednesday May 26 beginning at 6:45PM (Doors open at 5:30PM) for a very special meeting where we bring the best of the ProMax Digital Cafe to lafcpug, only we do it the lafcpug way. Scheduled to appear will be:

FCP Product Designer Brian Meaney who will show off FCP-HD and answer all your questions.
AJA's Ted Schilowitz will show off the KONA 2 card as well as the other products in the AJA family.
Val Reynolds will discuss and show off what's new from Sony.
Andrew Baum will show off what's new in Cinewave 4.6.
Jeff Merritt, HD Guru from Panasonic will be on hand to show and discuss the DVCPRO-HD solution now included in FCP HD as well as the brand new AJ-HD1200A VTR.

Plus Stump the Gurus, and of course World Famous Raffle.

A $5.00 donation will be respectfully requested.

Agenda (subject to change

Join FCP Gurus, Ken Stone, and Andrew Balis, plus special guest Steve Martin of Ripple Training as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20PM - 7:45PM - "Cinewave 4.6" - Andrew Baum
Andrew Baum, Cinewave Product Manager and a favorite at lafcpug will show off what's new in Cinewave 4.6.

7:45 - 8:05PM - "Whats new from Sony" - Val Reynolds
Sony Product Manager Val Reynolds will show off the latest from Sony

8:05 - 8:40PM - The latest from AJA - Ted Schilowitz
AJA's Ted Schilowitz will discuss the KONA 2 card as well as the other products in the AJA family and discuss the workflow used in the the upcoming blockbuster "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow," which was shot completely in front of a Blue Screen by first time director Kerry Conran and starring Jude "I only do movies built on FCP" Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie.

A chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. Intelligent Assistance will also be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType. DV Creators will also be in lobby selling their latest and greatest DVD Tutorial, "DV Enlightenment" ($75.00) which will teach you all you need to know about lighting for DV. lafcpug will once again be selling "Lafcpug on DVD" the February meeting with Walter Murch. Price will be $20.00. Promax , Pinnacle, LaCie, AJA, Medea and Sony will also have tables and will be able to answer any and all your questions.

9:00PM - 9:25PM - "FCP 4.5 - DVCPRO 100 Workflow" - Jeff Merritt
Jeff Merritt, HD Guru from Panasonic will be on hand to show and discuss the DVCPRO-HD solution now included in FCP 4.5 as well as the brand new AJ-HD1200A VTR.

9:25PM -9:50PM - Final Cut Pro HD - Brian Meaney
FCP Product Designer Brian Meaney will show off FCP-HD and answer all your questions.

Prizes inclued
LaCie d2 (250GB) Hard Drive Extreme - LaCie
G-RAID 320 (320 GB) - Medea
LiveType Textures - Ripple Training
Pinnacle BackPacks - Pinnacle
Steinberg Nuendo 2.0 - Pinnacle
FCP 101 OR 201 Training Class - DigitalFilm Tree
Copy of DVDxDVPro - DVDxDV
Copy of "DVD Studio Pro 2" by Bruce Nazarian - McGraw-Hill
FCP Keyboard KeyGuide - Neotron Design
Photoshop CS One on One - O'Reilly Books
Digital Photography Expert Techniques - O'Reilly Books
Copy of DV Enlightment - DVCreators.net
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

For all the details including how to get to LA Film School go to the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
June 19th, 2004, 09:28 PM
The next meeting of the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, June 23, 2004 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

"Happy 4th Birthday lafcpug!"

Join us for a very special meeting where we will celebrate the fourth anniversary of the lafcpug with Show and Tells, FCP Tips and Tricks, Plug-ins from Digital FilmTools and music from GarageBand and Logic Pro 6. Plus another round of Stump the Gurus, and of course World Famous Raffle. Oh yeah, and balloons.

Agenda (subject to Change)

Join FCP Gurus, Ken Stone, and Andrew Balis, plus Steve Martin of Ripple Training, as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20PM -7:35PM -Multi-task while playing a sequence in the FCP Timeline - Diana Weynand
Diana will show some tricks on how to multi-task while playing a sequence in the FCP Timeline. There are certain keystrokes and shortcuts that are usable while you are playing a sequence, and combining these can yield some often helpful results.
Diana Weynand is author of the Apple Pro Training Series books: Final Cut Pro HD, Final Cut Express 2, and Final Cut Pro for Avid Editors, and the newly published How Video Works. She is co-owner of Weynand Training and Consulting based in Encino, which provides consulting and training to the entertainment industry. Weynand Training is an Apple authorized training facility that teaches FCP, DVD Studio Pro, Shake, Photoshop, Illustrator, and other software apps. Diana is a producer, director, editor, writer, and recipient of an Emmy citation for a PBS series, Cinematic Eye, for Outstanding Program Achievement. She is also writes an ongoing column called "HD on the Rise" for Below the Line magazine.

7:40PM - 8:05PM -Digital FilmTools Plug-ins for FCP - Marco Paolini
Marco Paolini, feature film visual effects artist, will be showing the latest software offering from Digital Film Tools, 55mm v4. 55mm is the definitive set of digital optical filters meant to simulate popular glass camera filters, specialized lenses, optical lab processes, film grain, matte generation, exacting color correction as well as natural light and photographic effects.

8:10PM - 8:40PM - Logic Pro 6 - Ashley Witt
Ashley Witt is a composer, arranger, orchestrator and sampling engineer based out of Los Angeles. Ashley has worked alongside such talent as Danny Elfman, David Newman, James Horner, and his work can be heard in several major motion pictures including Mission Impossible, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Air Force One, Titanic, Goodwill Hunting, Aliens, and many more. Ashley will show all you need to know to get started with Apple's Logic Pro 6

A chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. HUGE Systems will be in the Lobby showing off thier latest and greateset storage solutions Intelligent Assistance will also be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType. DV Creators will also be in lobby selling their latest and greatest DVD Tutorial, "DV Enlightenment" ($75.00) which will teach you all you need to know about lighting for DV. lafcpug will once again be selling "Lafcpug on DVD" past lafcpug meetings including the must have February meeting with Walter Murch. Price will be $20.00. Promax, will also have a table and will be able to answer any and all your questions.

9:00PM - 9:30PM - GarageBand -Byron Gaither
Apple/eMagic's Byron Gaither will give a general demonstration of Garage Band, the included virtual instruments and effects, audio and MIDI loops, and show how easy it is to construct a quick idea in Garage Band.

9:35PM- 9:45PM - "The Mailman" - Tony Mark - Show and Tell
LAFCPUG member Tony Mark will be in screening a few scenes from his completed feature "The Mailman". Shot on an XL1 and edited in Final Cut;the film is set to premier at the LA film School theater on July 13th so this is an advance peek. An R-rated psychological thriller has a small town mailman doing more than just delivering the mail. More information can be found on "www.rollingpicturesinc.com"

9:45PM - 9:55PM - "Hut to Hollywood" - Lena Nozizwe - Show and Tell
Home is where the huts are--and the skyscrapers.
Can you go home again? What if that home is Africa and you have been brought up in America? Award-winning broadcast journalist, published author (Simon and Schuster), and aspiring actress (she just booked a national commercial) Lena Nozizwe returns to her roots in Malawi in order to find out what might have been if she never came to the United States. She questions everyone from contemporary professional women to her cousins who still live on the grounds of the Seventh Day Adventist Malamulo Mission where she was born. Nozizwe and her family came to the US courtesy of the pioneering reality show, This Is Your Life.The show featured her mother, Dr. Alice Princess Msumba Siwundhla. Nozizwe grew up to work as a globe-trotting correspondent on the reality series "America's Most Wanted." The desire to make a documentary, within her means, inspired Nozizwe to buy a G4 and learn FCP.

9:55PM - 10:05PM - World Famous Raffle

For all the details including directions to the LA Film School go to the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
July 22nd, 2004, 12:09 AM
The Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group (lafcpug) is asking all FCP users to vote for their top ten favorite FCP feature requests. The ballot is now up on the lafcpug web site and consists of over 60 feature requests gathered from various FCP online forums and FCP User Groups. The idea is to trim it down to a Top Ten.

The last time lafcpug did this Apple included over two thirds of the requests in a future version of Final Cut Pro

Voting will be open until Aug. 22, 2004

http://www.lafcpug.org/fcptopten.html

Tell every FCP user you know to Vote. This does work.

Mike

Michael Horton
July 25th, 2004, 12:58 AM
The next Meeting of the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, July 28, 2004 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

"The Other NLE's"

Yes Virginia, there are other NLEs out there and you need to see them. Join us as we bring Avid Xpress Pro 4.5, Sony Vegas 5, Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5, and Pinnacle Liquid Edition Pro 5.5 to lafcpug. Plus Stump the Gurus, World Famous Raffle, (Over 10,000 in prizes) and Marco Torres and the students from the SFETT.

Representitives from all these companies will be set up in the lobby before and during the meeting so you can get up close and personal with each application. Doors open at 6:00PM and I'd get there early if I were you.

An "all Star" line up! Join FCP Guru, Ken Stone, and special guest Gurus, Philip Hodgetts of Intelligent Assistance, Steve Martin of Ripple Training, and direct from Denver Colorado, author and FCP Guru Jerry Hoffmann as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get your pick of the raffle table. Of course you still go home with your problem but you get your pick of the raffle table.

7:20PM - 7:50PM - Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 - Tina Eckman
Tina Eckman returns to lafcpug this time to demo the brand new Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5. Featuring support for the Panasonic 24P and 24PA, new project management tools, integration with PS and AE, support for HD, AAF and EDL, and many other "new" tools, Premiere Pro 1.5 is NOT your Fathers Premiere

7:50PM - 8:00PM - iCan Film Festival - Marco Torres and the students from SFETT
Apple Distinguished Educator Marco Torres and a few of his students from San Fernando High School's SFETT returns for his annual visit to lafcpug to talk briefly and show a trailer about the upcoming iCan 5 Student Film Fest. For those of you who don't know about SFETT you should check it out HERE. It's a great story.

8:00PM - 8:30PM - Avid Xpress Pro 4.5 - Tim Wilson
lafcpug favorite Tim Wilson returns. Longtime lafcpug members remember Tim Wilson from his numerous appearances demoing Boris RED, but now that Tim is the Senior Product Marketing Manager of Avid Xpress Pro, who better than to show it off. Featuring Multicam clip grouping, over 115 customizable real-time software effects, mixed resolutions in the timeline, real time timewarp effects, Windows XP and MacOSX versions in the same box and dozens more, Avid Xpress Pro 4.5 is NOT Xpress DV. Welcome back Tim. We missed you.

Lots happening during the break.
This is a chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. Reps from Avid, Adobe, Sony Vegas and Pinnacle Liquid Edition will be set up in lobby to answer any and all questions you couldn't get answered during their presentation. Intelligent Assistance will also be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType. Author Lisa Brenneis will be selling a VERY limited supply of the brand new and just shipping Final Cut Pro HD: Visual QuickPro Guide for MacOSX. (all profits from the sale go to benefit voter registration grassroots organization ACT) DV Creators will also be in lobby selling their latest and greatest DVD Tutorial, "DV Enlightenment" ($75.00) which will teach you all you need to know about lighting for DV. lafcpug will once again be selling "Lafcpug on DVD" past lafcpug meetings including the must have February meeting with Walter Murch. Price will be $20.00. Jerry Hoffmann will be selling a VERY limited supply of his book, Jerry Hoffmann on Final Cut Pro 4 Promax, will also have a table and will be able to answer any and all your hardware questions. Wow. A mini trade show in the lobby.

8:55PM - 9:25PM - Sony Vegas 5 - Timothy Duncan
Timothy Duncan is perhaps the countries premiere expert on Vegas and moderates the Vegas forum over at 2-pop.com.
Sony Vegas 5 users are perhaps the most loyal bunch of any NLE users. Heaven help you if you get into a verbal "shoot out" with these folks. Vegas features Multitrack video and audio editing on UNLIMITED tracks, over 190 customizable video effects, 3D track motion, keyframable bezier masks, 5:1 Surround, over 30 audio effects, Acid Loop support, Subtitle Time/Text Export to DVD Architect Software, 24P support and many others

9:30PM - 10:00PM - Pinnacle Liquid Edition Pro 5.5 - Paul Mitton
Producer and Editor Paul Mitton who also heads up the Edition User Group here in So Cal, will show off everything you want to know about Liquid Edition Pro 5.5. Edition features "dynamic" slow motion, support for networked drives, DVCPRO support, MIDI support, Real Time 3D, over 1000 RT effects, Timeline integrated DVD authoring, Background processing and many more.

10:00PM - 10:10PM - World Famous Raffle
Avid Xpress Studio Essentials- Avid (value $3995.00)
A copy of Sony Vegas 5 - Sony
A copy of Vegas 5 +DVD - Sony
A copy of Sound Forge - Sony
A copy of Acid Pro 4 - Sony
A dozen Acid Loops for Acid - Sony
A copy of Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 OR After Effects - Adobe
A DV Camera Bag - Adobe
Full copy of Pinnacle Liquid Edition Pro 5.5 - Pinnacle
Pinnacle BackPack - Pinnacle
CameraPOV plug-ins for FCP - ProFound Effects
"Editing with Final Cut Pro" by Charles Roberts - Focal Press
LiveType Textures - Ripple Training
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

for more details and directions to the LA Film School, visit the lafcpug web site.

Michael Horton
August 21st, 2004, 01:24 PM
The Next Meeting of the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group (lafcpug) will be Wednesday, August 25, 2004 6:45PM at the LA Film School in Hollywood

Join us for the “Summer close out event,” as we bring in Discreet's Combustion 3, Jungle Software's awesome Gorilla 2.1, 10bit HD workflow, FCP Tip/Trick of the Month, Show and Tells, Stump the Gurus, and World Famous Raffle.

Join FCP Gurus Steve Martin of Ripple Training, and Andrew Balis as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you go home with a problem but you still got out of the house, so that's not a bad thing.

7:20PM - 7:30PM - FCP Tip/Trick of the month - Steve Martin
This months FCP tip/trick will be announced shortly

7:30PM - 8:00PM - Combustion 3 - Hage Van Dijk
Using Automatic Duck's new Pro Import C3, FCP users can now easily export to Combustion 3 within seconds.
Combustion, (for those of you not paying attention) is the outstanding motion graphics, compositing and visual effects tool from Discreet ,and Combustion 3 features a number of VERY cool tools including RE:Flex, the morphing and warping tool from RE:Vision Effects. This is one app that needs to be seen in action to really appreciate.

8:05PM -8:35PM - Gorilla - Aaton Cohen-Sitt
One of the absolute essential tools in the indy filmmakers bag is a budgeting and scheduling solution. Enter Gorilla 2.1 from Jungle Software. With Gorilla, all of your information can be stored in one place: Budgeting, scheduling, crew, cast, profit-sharing, editing notes, and even film festival submissions. It's easy to use and above all, affordable.

This is a chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. Intelligent Assistance will be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType and talking about the new Pro Apps Hub. DV Creators will also be in lobby selling their latest and greatest DVD Tutorial, "DV Enlightenment" ($75.00) which will teach you all you need to know about lighting for DV. Plus LiveType PowerStart , which gets you up and running with LiveType. lafcpug will once again be selling "Lafcpug on DVD" past lafcpug meetings including the must have February meeting with Walter Murch. Price will be $20.00. Steve Martin will be selling a limited amount of the brand new and must have FCP Advanced Techniques DVD Tutorial. Promax will also have a table and will be able to answer any and all your hardware questions. Jungle Software will be talking about Gorilla, and Discreet will be talking about Combustion 3.

9:00PM - 9:30PM - Uncompressed HD workflow in FCP - Christian White
Christian White (director/editor) long considered a pariah of the famed "Avid Master Editor list" for his constant endorsing of Final Cut to solve problems and "get the job done" will explain why now more than ever, Final Cut comes through - and in a HUGE way with uncompressed HD! Utilizing the award winning feature film, "Girl Play" (shot on HD & Super 16mm) as an example, Christian will explain the exciting route he took with final cut pro - from it's first dv res cut to the final uncompressed HD online with complex effects sequences. Warning: be prepared for a lively talk, Christian will integrate the creative process of editing with strange occurences of the universe to get the points across!

9:30PM - 9:40PM - "The Shaman of Paparazzo" Daniel Foster - Show and Tell
An 8 minute short titled The Shaman Paparazzo, shot in Thailand, Cambodia, Bali, Peru and West Africa.
The teaser:
A skilled stealer of souls, he's locked an ineffable world into his collection box. The world, however, has been doing its own searching. What it wants from him is simply, achingly beautiful.

9:40PM -9:50PM - "Mamochka" - Don Dunham - Show and Tell
Don Dunham will be showing an 8 minute trailer from the 24 minute children's film "Mamochka, a Russian Folktale Retold", a film he edited and posted entirely in Final Cut Pro 3 on a 450 Mhz Apple G4. The Independent film was produced by Mario Polanco of Iris International Film, and directed by Jody Lee Olhava and relates the story of a little peasant girl who, separated from her parents in the Russian wheat fields of the 19th Century, teaches a village that beauty comes from within.

CameraPOV plug-ins for FCP - ProFound Effects
2 copies of "Inside FCP HD" - Magnet Media
2 copies "Inside DVD Studio Pro 3 - Magnet Media
Copies of "Zoom In" (featuring one hour of Motion training) Magnet Media
2 copies of "DVD Studio Pro" by Bruce Nazarian- McGraw-Hill Publishing
Copy of "Cinema 4D" - CMP Books
Copy of PhotoShop CS for Non Linear Editors - CMP Books
A copy of LiveType PowerStart - DVCreators.net
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

More information and directions to the LA Film School can be found on the lafcpug web site.

Michael Horton
August 22nd, 2004, 12:04 PM
Ends tonight at Midnight PST. Go here and VOTE if you havent yet

http://www.lafcpug.org/fcptopten.html

Michael Horton
September 19th, 2004, 12:03 AM
The next meeting of the LA Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

Join us for "Back to School Night" as we devote most of the evening to FCP Tips and Techniques, plus Keying with DV MattePro, Show and tell, Stump the Gurus, and World Famous Raffle.

Join FCP Guru, Ken Stone, Andrew Balis and special guest Gurus, Steve Martin of Ripple Training and Rick Sebeck of Mega Mace, as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you get the satisfaction of stumping the Gurus. Of course you still go home with your problem, but hey...

7:20PM - 7:450PM - "Power Logging" - Steve Martin
For those of you who think Batch Capturing is like, so 20th Century, then you'll power logging. This month Steve Martin from Ripple Training will show us some cool tricks from his Advanced Techniques DVD-ROM. He will demonstrate a few "power logging" techniques and shortcuts for making the logging and capturing process a whole lot more efficient.

7:50PM - 8:10PM - Organizing and Assembling your project - Sharon Franklin
Editor Sharon Franklin will cover organization as well as tricks for assembling docs quickly using as an example an as-of-yet untitled documentary she is currently working on for the Sundance Channel, directed by Mario Van Peebles.

8:15- 8:40 - Keying Mary Poppins - Les Perkins and Philip Hodgetts
Producer/Editor Les Perkins and FCP Guru Philip Hodgetts will demonstrate their really cool compositing, chroma-key and film-look effects on a bonus feature for the forthcoming Mary Poppins - 40th Anniversary DVD from Disney.

This is a chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. Intelligent Assistance will be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType and talking about the ProApps Hub
DV Creators will also be in lobby selling their latest and greatest DVD Tutorial, Motion PowerStart. Copies are expected to arrive at the meeting fresh from the relicators. lafcpug will once again be selling "Lafcpug on DVD" past lafcpug meetings including the must have February meeting with Walter Murch. Price will be $20.00. Steve Martin will be selling his excellent DVD, Final Cut Pro: Advanced Techniques
ProMax, will also have a table and will be able to answer any and all your hardware questions.

9:00PM- 9:25PM - "JoshKeys" - Josh Mellicker
DVCreators, Josh Mellicker will show off what he calls, JoshKeys, a revolutionary new customized editing setup/technique solution that will allow you to complete many projects in half the time.

9:30PM -9:40PM - "Herstory History" - Noah Berlow - Show and Tell
Writer and Director Noah Berlow, accompanied by his FCP editor, Loren Christiansen, will be presenting a 3-minute teaser of his latest short film, "Herstory History" - an eye-opening social critique of our current popular culture. Two parallel stories, one set in Nazi Germany and the other in today's United States are cross-cut together exposing the dangerous impact that propaganda has had on the youth during Hitler's rise to power, as well as on the American youth today. This ambitious project began as a film school assignment at Ithaca College's Park School of Communications and over the course of the next three years of production classes, continued to expand and evolve into its present form. The film was shot on 16mm and Super 16mm Kodak film and edited entirely in Final Cut Pro.

Currently in their final phase of preparing for a vigorous trip through the international film festival circuit, Berlow and his crew expect a November release of this 36-minute film, which has already generated some controversy. For more information, please visit www.HerstoryHistory.com for updates.

9:40PM - 9:50PM - Collection of work - Rick Sebeck - Show and Tell
Rick Sebeck, Senior Editor at Mega Mace Post and efx boutique will show off how a successful post production company can survive using FCP as its main tool.

Copy of "Inside FCP HD" - Magnet Media
Copy of "Inside DVD Studio Pro 3 - Magnet Media
2 copies of "DVD Studio Pro" by Bruce Nazarian- McGraw-Hill Publishing
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

More info and directions to LA Film School can be found at the lafcpug web site:

Michael Horton
October 25th, 2004, 09:43 AM
The next meeting of the LA Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 6:45PM - until we drop, at the LA Film School in Hollywood

Join us for our last meeting at the LA Film School where we will bring in Sound Editor John McKay who will talk about sound design in your movies. Also lafcpug favorite, filmmaker Kenn Michael will show off and discuss the workflow of his most recent movie shot with the Panasonic Varicam and edited with the Panasonic 1200a deck. Plus FCP Tips and Techniques, Show and tells and Stump the Gurus. Oh yeah, and World Famous Raffle.

Join FCP Gurus Ken Stone, Steve Martin of Ripple Training, Andrew Balis and special guest Guru, Larry Jordan as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you go home with a problem but you still got out of the house, so that's not a bad thing.

7:20PM - 7:35PM - Motion PowerStart - Josh Mellicker and Michael Wohl
DVCreators Josh Mellicker and FCP Co-Creator Michael Wohl will show off bits and pieces of the brand new, just shipping Motion PowerStart Motion PowerStart is a comprehensive training course for Motion containing _three clear, fun, and practical hands-on tutorials plus a section on integrating Motion with other Apple programs. It was written by Michael Wohl, a member of the official Motion documentation team, along with Josh Mellicker of DVCreators.net.

7:40PM - 7:55PM - Sata Raids - JD Wilcox
Promax's JD Wilcox will show and tell all about Sata Drives, in particular the Promax SataMax solutions and cut through all the confusion about Raids

8:00PM - 8:30PM - Shooting with the Panasonic VariCam and editing with DVCProHD - Kenn Michael
From Kenn:
It was shot with the Panasonic VariCam system and loaded into FCP with Panny's new Firewire Deck. I'll go through how I organized my project files. Online/Offline strategies. Making viewing copy DVDs using Compressor and DVD Studio Pro (16:9/24P from HD sources). Color correction using FCP's color correct and Color Finesse. A little compositing with Shake. Audio post with Nuendo, and Music composition with Logic.

This is a chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. HUGE Systems will be in lobby showing off there awesome storage solutions. Intelligent Assistance will be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType and talking about the new Pro Apps Hub. lafcpug will once again be selling "Lafcpug on DVD" past lafcpug meetings including the must have February meeting with Walter Murch. Price will be $20.00. Steve Martin will be selling a limited amount of the brand new and must have FCP Advanced Techniques DVD Tutorial Promax will also have a table and will be able to answer any and all your hardware questions. DVCreators will be selling copies of the Motion PowerStart and LiveType PowerStart DVDs

8:55PM - 9:30PM - Sound Design, Editing and Virtual Katy - John McKay
Sound Editor and Designer, John McKay who worked on the Academy Award winning films Lord of the Rings trilogy as sound effects editor and mixer, is flying in from Wellington, New Zealand to share tips on sound design and editing. From John:
My presentation will focus on the workflow gains from using a program like Virtual Katy applied to the indie filmmaker who is not printing film or is shooting in HD or DV so cannot use change notes generated from Avid or FCP. I believe Virtual Katy can offer the indie filmmaker the way to integrated picture and sound editing to create truly non linear editing.

9:30PM - 9:40PM - Music Video - Show and Tell - Ryan Laslofy
From Ryan:
Well, when I booked this show and tell, I did not know that it would be the last one at what has become our "home" at the LA film school. None the less I am privileged to show some of my work on the big screen. My name is Ryan and I am a student of Larry Jordan's down here in Orange County at Fullerton College. Last year we had a project that was to make a music video. As September was right around the corner, I decided to do a patriotic video on September 11. Remember right after the attacks? How many flags did you see? How many did you see today? I have gathered footage from the past few years and compiled it to remind people of the local reaction here in Fullerton, hopefully so that they will "Never Forget". Hope you enjoy.

9:40PM - 9:50PM - Show and Tell

Copy of "DVD Studio Pro" by Bruce Nazarian- McGraw-Hill Publishing
Copy of Virtual Katy - Virtual Katy
Various Books - Peachpit Press
DV Matte Pro FCP - DV Garage
Copies of Speed Truck Challenge - Darren Purcell
Copies of DPed, Kel Videos Live (This Face Belongs on the
Tube & Is That the Mitchell's Boy?) - Kenn Michael
FREE 2 day workshop for FCP or Motion or FCP Advanced or DVDSP 3 - DVCreators.net
Copy of Motion PowerStart - DVCreators.net
Copy of DV Enlightenment - DVCreators.net
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

For more information and directions to LA Film School go to the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
November 13th, 2004, 01:12 PM
The next Meeting of the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group will be Wednesday, Nov 17, 2004 6:45PM - until we drop, at the Barnsdall Gallery Theater in Hollywood

Join us for our very first meeting ever in the brand spanking new Barnsdall Gallery Theater located on the grounds of the the Barnsdall Art Park in East Hollywood.

Scheduled to join us will be Alex Lindsey of DVGarage/Pixel Corp who will show us how to capture LIVE to your PowerBook while out in the field or in the studio, Plus Larry Jordan who will show us how to use the Voice Over tool in FCP HD, Plus Brad Wright, author of DVDxDV Pro will show us the latest version of this amazing app, this one which will automatically remove the 3:2 pulldown from your DVD Dailies so you can edit at 24fps in FCP. Plus the boys from DigitalFilm Tree will be on hand to talk about the future of post production including Digital Dailies. Plus Show and tells, Stump the Gurus and much much more. Oh yeah, and World Famous Raffle.

-------------------------
Join FCP Gurus Ken Stone, Andrew Balis, and special guest gurus, Philip Hodgetts of Intelligent Assistance, and Sharon Franklin as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you go home with a problem but you still got out of the house, so that's not a bad thing.

7:20PM - 7:50PM - Capturing your Video LIVE to your PowerBook or Desktop - Alex Lindsey
Eliminate the need to log and capture. Why not do it on the set? Alex Lindsay of dvGarage and PixelCorp will show how to use Final Cut Pro for more than just editing but actually capturing on set. Alex will cover the basic set-up, tips for a smooth operation, how to use the process most efficiently, and what could be improved to make the process easier.

7:50PM - 8:20PM - From DVD to FCP with 3:2 pulldown - Brad Wright
Brad Wright author of DVDxDV will demonstrate how to import DVD Dailies in Final Cut Pro with DVDxDV Pro. DVDxDV Pro can now automatically remove the 3:2 pull-down from a DVD Daily, so that it can be edited at 24 frames per second. Read all about DVDxDV Pro. It's an amazing app.

8:20 -8:30PM - "Garage: Horror Beyond Imagination" - Show and Tell - Michael Black
From Michael:
I will be showing a trailer for a short feature (70 minutes) I shot this past summer in Austin, TX, my hometown. It's a horror film about five kids trapped in a parking garage. At first, it's like they just can't get out, but things gradually get more and more sinister. I like to think of it as a psychological-existential horror. It was all shot on the DVX-100 and edited in FCP 4.5 in 24P mode. And the entire thing was shot for less than $1000 (the majority of which was spent on insurance to shoot on Texas State property). I hope you enjoy the trailer and will be there to wish me luck on the festival circuit.

8:30PM - 8:45PM - How to use the VO tool in FCP - Larry Jordan
FCP Guru Larry Jordan is back, this time to give us a brief How2 on how to use the Voice Over Tool in FCP. There are a few "gotchas" and Larry will tell us about them.

8:45PM - 9:05PM - Break
This is a chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. Honestly we dont know what will be going on in the lobby until we figure out where to put the tables. But I can tell you this much: Intelligent Assistance will be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType and talking about the new Pro Apps Hub. lafcpug will once again be selling "Lafcpug on DVD" past lafcpug meetings including the must have February meeting with Walter Murch. Price will be $20.00. ProMax might have a table and will be able to answer any and all your hardware questions. And the ever present clowns from the Hollywood Shriners Club.

9:05PM - 9:40PM - The boys from DigitalFilm Tree
With the recent release of Charles Koppelmans book, "Behind the Seen" which chronicles film Editor Walter Murch's use of Final Cut Pro on the movie Cold Mountain, it is only fitting that we bring in the "boys from DigitalFilm Tree to take a bow. (They come off as heroes in this book and deservedly so.) But then after the bow, DFT will talk about Digital Dailies and the future of Post Production. This is not to be missed.

9:40PM - 9:50PM - "The Zen Garden" -Show and Tell - Terrence Brown
The Zen Garden is a six-minute short edited entirely in FCP. This novice film is either a a meditation on the nature of peace or more correctly an exercise on focusing my new camera. Either way, this brief experience and its challenges give me a greater appreciation for those talented people who can make art from machinery. All color, credits, and audio are edited using FCP filters and the music is from GarageBand.

9:50PM - 10:00PM -"Beyond the Fish" - Show and Tell - Wesley Smith
From Wes:
-- it was a project I worked on between paying gigs over the last few years. I actually had started it on FCP 2 and finished on FCP 4.5 HD. Plumbed the depths of FCP's filters and audio capabilities, not to mention tons of AE work. Layed back 10bit uncompressed (to improve the graphics material) at DigitalFilm Tree.
DESCRIPTION:
A not unfictitious documentary of the radical film director Hueselo El Smith following the failure of his inglorious masterwork "The Red Fish." This film examines El Smith's emotional and spiritual unraveling through interviews and rare footage.

10:00 - World Famous Raffle
5 copies of "Behind the Seen" - Peachpit Press
Power Pak Bundle of most of their software and textureware ($1100 value) - dvGarage
1 Composite Toolkit ($99 value)
3 Pixel Corps 3-Month Memberships for the winter term ($135 value each) - Pixel Corps
1 Extraction Lab (Photoshop Training - $60) - dvGarage
DV Matte Pro FCP - DV Garage
Copy of Zoom -in DVD - Magnet Media
Copy of Inside FCP -HD - Magnet Media
Copy of Inside DVD Studio Pro 3 - Magnet Media
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

For more information including directions to the Gallery Theatre, go to the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
November 30th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Walter Murch to appear with lafcpug at DV Expo West.

Legendary Film Editor and Sound Designer, Walter Murch, (Apocalypse Now, The Conversation, Cold Mountain) will be a guest at the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group’s (lafcpug) annual meeting at DV Expo West, Thursday, December 9 at the LA Convention Center, beginning at 7:00PM. Mr. Murch will talk about FCP workflow in the upcoming film, “Jarhead” and take questions from the audience. Mr. Murch is also scheduled to deliver the Keynote speech beginning at 6:00PM.

Also scheduled to appear will be engineers from the Apple Pro Apps Team who will demo “Production Suite” workflow as well as take questions and feedback. In addition, lafcpug will hold its “World Famous Raffle” with prizes totaling into the thousands of dollars.

You must register for DV Expo in order to attend this event. Registration is available online until 1:00PM Thursday, Dec 2.

https://www.cmpevents.com/DVx4/a.asp?option=B&V=2&SC=LFCP

Michael Horton
January 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
The Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group, (lafcpug) along with leaders from the FCP User Group Network will hold a meeting at the Mezzanine Club in San Francisco Ca. as part of the MacWorld Expo festivities, Wednesday, Jan 12, beginning at 7:00PM.

On the agenda will be Apple's Bill Hudson who will talk about the soon to be shipping Xsan.

Also scheduled to appear will be Brian Rothschild, Executive Director of the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus who will talk about the program and show clips of students work.

AJA’s Ted Schilowitz will show as well as tell about the making of the music video “Are you Going To Be My Girl,” by the Aussie band, Jet.

DV Guy Philip Hodgetts of Intelligent Assistance will be showing two new options for MultiCam editing with Final Cut Pro.

Jin Woo Joo of the San Francisco based filmmaking group, CinemaSports will talk briefly about the group as well as show clips from past events.

Filmmaker Chris Jenkins will show clips from his HD documentary, “El Fandi, a modern day Matador.”

A raffle with prizes totaling into the thousands of dollars will wrap up the evening.

There will be a $5.00 donation requested at the door. Doors will open at 6:00PM and seating will be first come, first served.

For more details on the agenda, a list of raffle prizes and directions to the Mezzanine Club, log onto the lafcpug web site.

http://www.lafcpug.org/macworld.html

Michael Horton
January 21st, 2005, 01:05 AM
Next Meeting of the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group (lafcpug) will be Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:45PM - till we drop at the Gallery Theater in East Hollywood

Scheduled to appear will be a demo of the Sapphire Plug-ins from Genarts. Philip Hodgetts will demo two new options for Multicam in FCP. Larry Jordan and Steve Martin will show off techniques for Keyframing Wipes and Render Management. Also, another round of Stump the Gurus, and Show and Tells. Oh yeah, and World Famous Raffle too.

For all the details including directions to the gallery Theater, go to the lafcpug web site

Join FCP Gurus Ken Stone, Andrew Balis, and special guest gurus, Sharon Franklin and Steve Martin as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you go home with a problem but you still got out of the house, so that's not a bad thing.

7:20PM - 7:40PM - Tip/Tick O' the Month - Render Management - Steve Martin
Rendering is always a frustrating part of editing, but there are tips and tricks to help you ease the render pain. Steve Martin of Ripple Training will show you some techniques to help you manage your renders.

7:45PM - 8:15PM - Sapphire Plug-ins from Genarts - Todd Prives
Consisting of over 175 plug-ins, Sapphire Plug-ins from Genarts have been around longer than you have and have been used in more movies than there are in the Netflix Library. These aren't your father's plug-ins. Prepare to be wowed. Todd Prives of Genarts will demo.

8:20PM - 8:40PM - Keyframed Wipes (How-to) - Larry Jordan
So, you wanna add some pizzazz to your program opens? Larry Jordan will present a very cool way to recreate the three-way animated wipe open from Charlie's Angels. And, knowing Larry, you'll also discover a lot you never knew about keyframes. the Motion tab and a very unorthodox way of using a traveling matte. Larry's presentations are not to be missed.

This is a chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. Honestly we don't know what will be going on in the lobby until we figure out where to put the tables. But I can tell you this much: Intelligent Assistance will be in Lobby selling their latest creations, Practical Color Correction and Killer Titles for Calligraphy and LiveType and talking about the new Pro Apps Hub. Ripple Training will be on hand to show off all their great DVD tutorials. Snacks will be on sale in the lobby. Proceeds go to the Gallery Theater.

9:05PM - -9:35PM - FCP Does Multicam - Philip Hodgetts
DV Guy Philip Hodgetts of Intelligent Assistance will be showing two new options for MultiCam editing with Final Cut Pro. Not another work around but real, real-time, multicamera cutting. He'll do the shootout between the open source and free LiveCut and the commercial Multicam Lite from Digital Heaven. Is free good? Or, is $295 really worth it? You'll have to be there to find out what app is best to cut LA based "Javelin's" latest guerilla-style music video.

9:35PM - 9:45PM - "The Thing" - Show and Tell - Philip Bloom
I shot a demo music video using the DVX-100a and cut a rough using storyboards in FCP. Some minor color correction was done to the end product in FCP also.

9:45PM - 9:55PM - "Keepers of the Art" - Show and Tell - Daniel Foster
Keepers of the Arts is a half-hour arts and culture travel series that showcases world artisans and their crafts, deeply influenced by cultural beliefs, rituals and spiritual ceremonies. The ten minute excerpt is from the pilot, shot in Bali, Indonesia. Created by Eye Awake Studio in association with About Time Productions.

Free Floor passes to VideoMaker Expo - Videomaker
Free Genarts T-shirts - Genarts

Copy of Sapphire Plug-ins - Genarts
Copy of MultiCam Lite - Digital Heaven
2 copies "FCP HD Hands on Training" - Peachpit Books
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

Michael Horton
February 20th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Next Meeting of the LA Final Cut Pro User Group (lafcpug) will be Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:45PM - till we drop at the Gallery Theater in E Hollywood CA.

Join us as we devote the entire evening to HDV. Scheduled to appear will be reps from Sony who will show off the brand new HVR-Z1U Camcorder as well as the M10U VTR. We will discuss several techniques for editing HDV with FCP with Brad Wright, author of HDVxDV. ProMax will also be on hand to show and tell everything you need to know about HDV before you buy. There will be lots of HDV footage to look at and we intend to do our best to cover everything you need to know about HDV. Agenda will be set about one week before meeting.

Join FCP Gurus Ken Stone, and special guest gurus, Sharon Franklin and Steve Martin as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you go home with a problem but you still got out of the house, so that's not a bad thing.

7:20PM - 7:45PM - Working with the Sony HDR-Z1U HDV Cam and the HVR-M10U VTR - Val Reynolds
Sony's Val Reynolds will be on hand to show off the brand new Z1U HDV Cam as well as the companion HDV Player, the M10U. Val will be also be available for questions throughout the evening

7:50PM - 8:25PM - Everything you need to know and should know about HDV - The Boys from ProMax
So, what is the absolute best method for preserving the beauty of your HDV footage when you bring it into your Mac? The boys from ProMax will be coming up to answer that question and more.
They will show DV footage from a Z1 compared to DV from a PD170.
Footage of HDV through AIC to DVCPro HD
Footage of AIC to Uncompressed 10bit
Footage of HDV out analog HD converted to HD-SDI and captured DVCPRO HD
Footage of HDV out analog HD converted to HD-SDI and captured uncompressed 10 bit
HDV footage and HDCAM footage side by side examples
Uncompressed HD 10 bit compressed back to Transport Stream and recorded
to HDV camera.
And if time, HDV monitoring

8:30PM - 8:40PM - "HDV Music Video" - Frank Schindler - Show and Tell
From Frank:
The clip was shot on an FX-1 with most of the default settings except the color level was +7, the max. If I had it to do over again I probably would have rolled that off to a +5 or +4. It was a live performance and we had no control of the lighting. There were multi-colored lights on the entire stage. This is raw footage and discussion with the principles is underway to decide what everyone wants to do with it. The sound is internal camera sound which doesn't sound too bad. A computer recorded mix of the sound was recorded independently and will be added in post.

This is a chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. ProMax and Sony will be there to answer all questions and show off their toys. Intelligent Assistance will be in Lobby selling their latest creations, and talking about the new Pro Apps Hub. Ripple Training will be on hand to show off all their great DVD tutorials. Snacks and Beer and Wine will be on sale in the lobby. Proceeds go to the Gallery Theater.

9:05PM - -9:35PM - How to Edit HDV on a Mac - Brad Wright
Currently FCP does not support editing HDV, but there are several "work arounds" and Brad Wright, author of HDVxDV will discuss them all. From capturing HDV into iMovie/FCE to FCP, LumiereHD, and others, as well as his own solution, HDVxDV.

9:35PM - 9:45PM - Show and Tell

9:45PM - 9:55PM - "Mediocre Films" - Greg Benson - Show and Tell
From Greg:
I'm an actor-writer in L.A. who gets pretty bored just sitting around between jobs. So I shoot no-budget comedic shorts on Mini DV and share them with the world at mediocrefilms.com. ("Mediocre Films: They're Better Than They Sound.") I'll be sharing two recent shorts, "Mating Season" (budget: $41) and "Phone Call to God" (budget: $8) at the meeting. It's a World Premiere for both. Hope you don't think they suck.

SteadyTracker UltraLight - ProMax
Copy of Motion PowerStart - DVCreators.net
2 Copies of LiveType PowerStart - DVCreators.net
Copy of DV Enlightenment - DVCreators.net
Surprise from Sony - Sony
50% off any Apple Pro Apps Class _ Moviola
Various Books from CMP Books - CMP Books
Copy of HDVxDV - HDVxDV
Copy of Inside Motion - Magnet Media
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

For all the details and directions to the Gallery Theater, go to the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
March 19th, 2005, 05:10 PM
The next meeting of the LA Final Cut Pro User Group (lafcpug) will be Wednesday, March 23, 2005 6:45PM at the Gallery Theater in Hollywood Ca.

"Making Music on FCP Night"

Bring your dancing shoes and join us as we devote much of the evening to making music and music videos. Stephanie Joyce of SmartSound will show off the very cool music creation tool, Sonicfire Pro V3, Steve Martin of Ripple Training will show us tips and tricks on how to cut our video to the beat of the music. We will also slip in a brief demo and explanation of Raids, and why MacOSX Disk Utility might not be the best choice for striping your hard drives. SoftRaids Timothy Standing will present. Plus, Music Videos galore, Stump the Gurus, and World Famous Raffle.

Join FCP Guru Ken Stone, and special guest gurus, Sharon Franklin Andrew Balis, and Steve Martin as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you go home with a problem but you still got out of the house, so that's not a bad thing.

7:20PM - 7:40PM - Cutting to the beat of the Music - Steve Martin
Ripple Training's Steve Martin will show us how to cut your music video to the beat of the music. This assumes you have rhythm.

7:45PM - 8:10PM - Sonic Fire Pro - Stephanie Joyce
SmartSound's Stephanie Joyce will show you how to create great sounding soundtracks with SmartSound's patented software. Award winning Sonic Fire Pro is the only software programs that let you create professional quality, customized, royalty-free music soundtracks for your videos- automatically! The patented software also lets you bring in outside music (such as Soundtrack or Garage Band) and makes it fit the length of your video project, quickly, easily, and automatically. SmartSound can generate royalty free music AND import the music you create, it even reads your FCP markers! It's a great addition to your video toolbox.

8:15PM - 8:30PM - SoftRaid - Timothy Standing
Timothy Standing of SoftRaid will give a brief demo and explanation of Raids, and why MacOSX Disk Utility might not be the best choice for striping your hard drives.

8:30PM - 8:45PM - "How'd You Do That?" - "Weightless" - Mitchell Rose
From Mitchell:
A music video for Swami Jr., fronted by singer/songwriter Billy Goodrum, in which at the laundromat, his mind goes on tumble-dry. The "video," shot on film, uses a lot of "motion control" shots that were damn expensive, and keying that doesn't cost a damn thing.

This is a chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. Intelligent Assistance will be in Lobby selling their latest creations, and talking about the new Pro Apps Hub. Ripple Training will be on hand to show off all their great DVD tutorials. Snacks and Beer and Wine will be on sale in the lobby. Proceeds go to the Gallery Theater.

9:05PM - 9:25PM - The Making of a "Jet" Video - "Cold Hard Bitch" - Ted Schilowitz
Fans of iPod commercials know the song "Are you Going to be My Girl" by the Aussie band, Jet. You also know their other big hit, "Cold Hard Bitch." What you may not know is that the video of that song was cut on FCP using the Kona 2 card. AJA's Ted Schilowitz will take us thorugh the workflow.

9:25PM - 9:45PM - "How'd You Do That?" - "Wylde Bunch" - Kenn Michael
From Kenn:
I have two music videos I did for the same artist - Wylde Bunch. They're on Sony/Columbia records and their album is on iTMS. The first video I shot and has a narrative attached to it. The second one I edited from tons of touring/concert footage.

9:45PM - 9:55PM - "BURN: The Documentary" - Bill Boletta - Show and Tell
Director: Bill Boletta
Director of Photography: Tim Otholt
People come to Los Angeles from all over the world with the hope of becoming rock stars. This short documentary gives a profile of Burn, a talented music group which hasn't yet made it big but has tried hard for years. The film looks behind the scenes of the music business and points up the inherent tensions that exist in that world between idealism and pragmatism, artistry and finance, talent and commercialism. In addition to interviews with band members, friends of the band, and music industry professionals, there are excerpts from live performances as well as studio rehearsal footage. The film was shot digitally in 24p with the Panasonic DVX-100 and edited entirely in FCP. Runtime: 10 minutes

Copy of Sonic Fire Pro - SmartSound
Copy of Softraid - Softraid
50% off any Apple Pro Apps Class _ Moviola
Copy of Inside Motion - Magnet Media
1 T-shirt - kenstone.net

For more details including directions to the Gallery Theater, visit the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
April 22nd, 2005, 12:02 AM
On Tuesday May 3, lafcpug will host "The Los Angeles Debut of FCP 5 and Soundtrack Pro." http://www.lafcpug.org/user_schedule_etc.html

FCP Product designer Brian Meaney and others from the FCP team will be down to demo and take questions and feed back. The show will be open to the public.

For those of you who cant make it to this meeting and have questions you feel need to be asked, please send them to fcpquest@yahoo.com. Lisa Brenneis and myself will sort through them all and pick what we consider the "top ten." We will then present them to Brian and the FCP team and publish the answers at lafcpug.org and here shortly thereafter.

Send as many questions as you like

Spread the word

Michael Horton
lafcpug

Michael Horton
April 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Join us on Wednesday April 27 where, for the very first time in the history of lafcpug, we will devote the entire evening to Show and Tells. Each filmmaker will be given 10 minutes each to show their movie or clips from their movie and then tell us how they did it. It's about time we did this and we hope to do this more often. So join us, will you. Starts 6:45PM

Join FCP Guru Ken Stone, and special guest gurus, Andrew Balis and Steve Martin as they will attempt to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems concerning FCP. If they can't solve your problem or answer your How 2, then you go home with a problem but you still got out of the house, so that's not a bad thing.

7:20PM - 7:30PM - "Formosa" - Noah Kadner
Director Noah Kadner will show clips from "Formosa," his film,which just won best comedy at the Garden State Film Fest. The film was shot using the Panasonic SDX900 and edited on FCP.

7:35PM - 7:45PM - "Wake Up Dead" - Jonas Navickas
From Jonah:
The short film "Wake Up Dead" was written, directed and co-edited by Jonas Navickas while studying at the L.A. Film School. Shot on 24pHDCAM, Final Cut Pro was utilized to edit the film, both offline and online. "Wake Up Dead" was an official selection of the 2003 New York City Horror Film Festival and will soon be a part of Fangoria TV programming.
Jonas Navickas lives in Silverlake, edits exclusively on Final Cut Pro, and has several projects in various stages of production.
http://homepage.mac.com/jnavickas/iMovieTheater1.html
http://cultcuts.net/shortsF.htm#wakeupdead

7:50PM - 8:00PM - "Tune Up To Success" - Dale Ellis
From Dale:
Working primarily with legacy footage shot over a few years, freelance producer Dale Ellis edited an infomercial to promote a series of seminars by top-charting jazz musician Freddie Ravel. The video shows business and non-profit organizations why booking Freddie's "Tune Up To Success" seminars will make their next conference a hit by sampling his ideas, musical performances and endorsements

8:05PM - 8:15PM - "vermillion" - Tony Petrossian
From Tony:
Who Am I?
Tony Petrossian. I'm a music video director signed to a small production company out of NY and LA called Rockhard Films. I've done videos for artists such as Hoobastank, DMX, and Slipknot. I've directed over 30 videos over that last 3 years and have mostly edited my own stuff on Final Cut. . .
What I'll be Showing:
One of my recent vids is for Slipknot's "vermillion" where we shot the whole thing on digital still photos and sequenced them in quicktime and cut in final cut. . .
www.rhfilms.com (click on my name and you can watch some of my work)

8:20PM - 8:30PM - "San Francisco, 1957" - Laurie Pepper
From Laurie:
I'm an independent filmmaker working on a documentary based on "Straightlife," the book I wrote with my late husband, jazz musician, Art Pepper. I'm using Art's music and his voice as narration. The movie includes enacted sequences and various kinds of animation. The clip is part of the work-in-progress, but I think it does okay as a stand-alone short film. It's called "San Francisco, 1957" and is a little over 7 minutes long with opening and end titles. -- Laurie Pepper
Check out websites below.
http://straightlife.org
http://homepage.mac.com/nowsthetime/

8:30PM - 8:40PM - "Cool Web Docs for Apple Ed" - Marco Torres
Marco Torres is an Apple Distinguished Educator, George Lucas Educational Foundation board Member, producer, photographer, digital storyteller, and a social studies and media teacher at San Fernando High School, home of the famous San Fernando Education Technology Team. I have been making mini-web documentaries for Apple. I am going to show about 3 min cool demo reel of the work I have done over the last 8 months for Apple. The function of these movies is to engage people in conversations about what schools would look like, if all kids had 24/7 access to the powerful production tool of an Apple Powerbook for their learning, living, and creative needs and wants.

This is a chance to hang out and meet and greet and get your problems solved. Intelligent Assistance will be in Lobby selling their latest creations, and talking about the new Pro Apps Hub. Ripple Training will be on hand to show off all their great DVD tutorials. Snacks and Beer and Wine will be on sale in the lobby. Proceeds go to the Gallery Theater.

9:00PM - 9:10PM - "Gaytino - Daniel Foster
From Daniel:
Selections from projection design for a one man show, "Gaytino," that recently premiered at the Kirk Douglas Theater * about the life of Dan Guerrero and notables in his life: Chicano painter Carlos Almaraz, Cesar Chavez, and Dan's father, Lalo Guerrero, the legendary "Father of Chicano Music," who died last month, in March.

9:10PM - 9:20PM - "House of Generals" - Dan Spigel
From Dan:
I'm Dan Spigel Producer Director of House of the Generals.A seven year project. self finance 103 min feature. No stock footage. All original battle scenes. Film contains actual WWII Tanks and Planes. A holocaust based film that has been receiving good reviews. Shot in Beta SP, DV, 16mm.
Hollywood screening planned at the Hollywood Regent in Late July 05.
www.houseofthegenerals.com

9:25PM - 9:35PM - Untitled - Jeremy Saville
From Jeremy:
Jeremy Saville is an Actor/Writer/Filmmaker who's made several DV shorts. His films have been finalists at The Second City Film Festival and have been featured at The Austin Film Festival. His show ComedyLight was chosen as pick of the week by "The New Times", and he's currently working on a pilot for television.

9:40PM - 9:50PM - "Asylum" - Tony Mark
From Tony:
LAFCPUG member Tony Mark (tonymark.com) will be showing a trailer from his latest feature film "Asylum". Shot on the Panasonic 100a and edited in FCP, Tony will show some of the strengths of the camera and a slew of the effects of FCP. Tony was last in last year when he showed us part of his film "The Mailman" which has since sold to distributors and
if time allows, will take some questions on getting distribution on digital features.

For all the details including directions to the Gallery Theater go to http://www.lafcpug.org/user_schedule.html

Michael Horton
May 22nd, 2005, 01:22 PM
The Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group (lafcpug) will meet Wednesday, May 25 beginning at 6:45PM at the Gallery Theater in Hollywood Ca. Scheduled to appear will be a demo of "What's New in DVD Studio Pro 4," by Apple's Brian Hoffman and DVD Guru, Bruce Nazarian. In addition, Micronet will show off their SanCube SAN storage solution. Plus, FCP 5 tips and tricks, Show and Tells, Stump the Gurus, and “World Famous Raffle.”

Meeting is open to the public on a first come first seated basis. There will be a $5.00 donation respectfully requested at the door.

For complete agenda and directions to the Gallery Theater, visit the lafcpug web site

Michael Horton
June 17th, 2005, 02:06 AM
The Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group (lafcpug) now with over 4000 members world wide, will mark its fifth year anniversary, Wednesday, June 22 at the Gallery Theater in Hollywood Ca. On the agenda is a look at the SD, HD and 2K color corrector, Final Touch by Silicon Color. Plus tips and tricks for Low budget/No budget filmmakers, encoding with Compressor, fact and fiction about Apple's move to Intel, more on FCP 5, Stump The Gurus, Show and Tells, and World Famous Raffle.

The meeting is open to the public and will begin at 6:45PM with doors opening at 6:00PM There will be a $5.00 donation respectfully requested at the door.
For complete agenda and directions to the Gallery Theater, visit the lafcpug web site http://www.lafcpug.org/user_schedule.html

Michael Horton
July 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM
It will be “Boris and the Duck Night” at the next meeting of the LA Final Cut Pro User Group, (lafcpug) Wednesday July 27 beginning at 6:45PM at the Gallery Theater in East Hollywood CA.

Scheduled to present will be Ann Renehan from Boris FX who will show off the latest versions of FX and Graffiti. Plus Wes Plate will show us the latest and greatest version of Automatic Duck Pro Export 3.0. Plus our annual visit by the students of SFETT, http://www.sfett.net/index.html who will show off their work and talk about the iCan Film Festival, August 6 in San Fernando, CA. Plus more on FCP 5, Show and Tells, Stump the Gurus, and World Famous Raffle. Doors open at 6:00PM and there will be a $5.00 donation respectfully requested at the door.

For complete agenda and directions to the Gallery Theater, visit the lafcpug web site. http://www.lafcpug.org/user_schedule.html