View Full Version : to sell or not to sell my GL2?

Terry Lee
August 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I purchased a brand new GL2 from a guy back in November and have been thinking about selling it. But I am having second thoughts because I have so little money in it ($500). The downside about the GL2 is that it is SD. The plus side is that its a more professional looking 3CCD camera as uppose to my canon HV30 which is CMOS (i'm not sure if 3CCD takes an advantage..) Honestly I haven't really been working with it sence I bought it. So I don't know much about it.

As GL2 users, what would you do in this situation?

Tom Hardwick
August 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM
The downside of the GL isn't that it's SD, it's that it's 4:3 and a soft 16:9. As the man on the trading room floor said, 'Sell, sell, sell!'

Taky Cheung
August 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I would also say sell your GL2 and get HV30. You can read about this thread too

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-gl2-gl1-son-watchdog/297729-repair-replace-gl2.html

You can pimp your HV30 to get it a more professional look.

1. Shotgun mic
2. Wide angle lens
3. Lens hood from XHA1

Check out photos here Lens Hood for WD-H43 and Raynox 6600 on HV30 | L.A. Color Blog (http://lacolorshop.com/blog/view.asp?id=25)

You can also use a optical cable to route the remote control signal to use it as a LANC controller. http://lacolorshop.com/blog/view.asp?id=10

Terry Lee
August 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Hey Tom and Taky, I'm also over on the HV20 forum. I have that exact set up for my HV30. Infact I posted pictures of it here: HV30 Pictures - Page 8 - Canon HV20, HV30 & HV40 User Forum (http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?p=194876#post194876)

I just didn't know if there was something I was missing. I always doubt my knowledge about camera equipment because I am not actually working but more or less doing this as an amature and teaching myself as I go along.

P.S. Whats the light trick?

Don Palomaki
August 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM
If you are in business - sell it if it is not making money for you.
If it is paying its keep, than use it until you need to make a change.

If it is a hobby, do what makes you happy.

David Ruhland
August 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
What do you do with your GL2? I am in the same boat as you, i currently have a HV30 and have been contemplating upgrading to the XH-A1 (the GL2 CLONE, but HDV version) Unlike you I have a lil more then 500 bucks in my camera and the most i was told i could get retail was 1000.00

There are two things that hold me back from selling my GL2

1; Dont have the cash right now to upgrade to XH-A1

2: Most of the footage i capture with my GL2 is used for internet, so SD is just fine for what I am doing

Not sure if this helps you or not, I know it kinda goes against the grain of what the others have said.

David Ruhland
August 30th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Getting ready for a shoot this week and wanted to activate the guides on my GL2 for the 16:8, but they are PINK in color and there is no function available when i try to turn the guides on.

Anyone know why this is?

Camera is currently in the tape mode

Taky Cheung
August 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I sold my two GL2 on eBay one for $1500 one for $1300 in 2007. I'm happy with the price. Stepping to XH-A1 is a big decision because of the price. I'm glad that I did. XH-A1 has much more controls than GL2. So I wouldn't think it's just the HDV version of GL2.

If you look at my other posts, I compared SD footage between GL2 and HV30. HV30 wins hand down.

Tom Hardwick
August 31st, 2009, 05:11 AM
David - the GL2 has to be in Camera mode to enable the switch between 4:3 and 16:9. When you do this the v'finder images become vertically stretched (unlike the VX2k's letterbox) so composing with the GL2 in the wide-screen mode is much more difficult I find.

On top of that there's the big 25% hit in vertical resolution that you have to swallow, and this is why it's a good web cam but not a good wedding cam.

tom.

David Ennis
September 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I see that the GL2 is still called a "bestseller" at B&H and is still going for $1999 new. If it's anywhere near true, what a testament to that product! There's probably nothing else in the camcorder annals with comparable success. If you got one for $500 that's pretty good. But if it doesn't do what you want it to do and is tying up your money it's time to sell. I have both a GL2 and a VX2100 I'm thinking of selling to make the move to HD.