View Full Version : xl-1 phantom power

Murray Wilkinson
August 28th, 2002, 07:50 PM
can i use the power out on the standard mic socket to get phantom power for my bayerdynamic shotgun?
Or does the MA-100 or 200 provide phantom power
Or is there a cheap accessory i can add in-line to power my mic?

Jeff Donald
August 28th, 2002, 08:26 PM
The Rolls PB223 is a dual phantom power supply. One of the sponsors, Zotz Digital http://www.zotzdigital.com/?page=shop/browse&offset=40&category_id=&keyword=phantom&company_id= has them instock. The MA-100/200 do not supply phantom power.

Jeff

Don Palomaki
August 30th, 2002, 06:07 AM
There is NO phantom power from the XL1 or the MA100/200. The power provided from the XL1 to the MA-100/200 and Canon mics is 5 volts DC and is not appropriate for most mics that use phantom power.

Ram Nagarajan
August 30th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Murray:
...or of course, if you have access to one, you could connect your Beyerdynamic to a field mixer like the Shure 32, and run your Phantom power for the mic from that. The mixer should plug OK into both the MA-100 and 200 with the line setting.
Ram

Murray Wilkinson
August 30th, 2002, 08:47 PM
thanks for the replies guys... i have a berringer field mixer with phantom power... but i am getting sick of having to cart it around with me all the time. Too many leads and things to set up... was just looking for an easy alternative.

Ram Nagarajan
August 30th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Murray:
Oops, sorry, made a boo-boo then! :-)
Suggested the field mixer 'cause most sound recordists I know prefer one...most of the camcorders (and especially the prosumer ones) have the sudio VUs at such inconveneient places, especially when handheld.
But I take your commentabout the weight and cables on board...I couldn't agree with you more!

Ram

Ram Nagarajan
August 30th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Correction: That should read 'audio VUs' for 'sudio VUs'!
Ooh, my CT syndrome'd fingers! If only this list wasn't so much damned fun! :-)
Ram

Don Palomaki
August 31st, 2002, 04:13 PM
WARNING: Professional Line level audio (e.g., +4 dBU) is too hot for the MA-100.
Set or pad your mixer output to -30 dBV and use the MIC ATT setting.

Murray Wilkinson
August 31st, 2002, 06:50 PM
thanks for the tip don

Ram Nagarajan
August 31st, 2002, 10:26 PM
Don: Is the same thing true for the MA-200?
Best,
Ram

Don Palomaki
September 1st, 2002, 07:18 AM
I've not use the MA-200 so I do not know for sure, but my guess would be that Canon use the same or similar internal crcuits in which case it would be true.

A quick analysis (actual figures may be different).
The power supply is 5 volts.
Allow about 1 power-supply volt for circuit overhead.
The MA100 has about 6 dB of gain.
That limits the max allowable peak-to-peak excersion of the input signal to about 2 volts before hard clipping which is about -3 dBV.