View Full Version : laptop users a question

Damien Greaves
November 1st, 2004, 07:29 PM
what type of laptop do u use for video editing ?

Dell, Sony, Mac Alien Ware, hp, etc

what are the specifications?

what software are u using?

thanks

Shane Ross
November 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM
Powerbook 1Ghz, 15".

And FCP. Although Avid Express Pro is tempting me....

Damien Greaves
November 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
do u have any problems with your system like freezing and stuff

how much memory do u have?

are u able to do real time editing and effects?

Shane Ross
November 1st, 2004, 08:34 PM
I mainly use my G4 tower for editing anymore these days, but I occasionally still refer to my Laptop. I used it a lot when I first got it, until I have After Effects renders that I needed more power to plow thru.

I have 1 GB of RAM. I haven't frozen at all, acutally. Occasionally FCP will unexpectedly quit...and it was really bad when I went to FCP HD (4.5). But I went back to FCP 4.1.1 and things are more stable. I get the unexpectedly quit error only once a week, when it is working. On the tower I get it twice as often, but it is working more.

Not as many realtime effects as the tower, mainly the dissolves and color corrections. But I render most my effects as I add them anyway...I like to see them really work. Sometimes when I don't render it, even though it is "real time" the system will drop frames and stop.

Overall a decent system. I can't comment on how it compares to a PC based edit system. I never owned a PC, and rarely touch them.

Damien Greaves
November 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
i am looking at a laptop but would like to know what other people are using and their experiences

i am a pc user and i get the the occassional errors and stuff on my home built system

i was looking at the emac to enter the apple arena at a low cost

Cory Moorehead
November 1st, 2004, 09:34 PM
Sager makes the absolute best notebooks. alot think Alienware is the best...when reality there selling point is based on how many more alien eyeballs they can add to the case.

Damien Greaves
November 1st, 2004, 09:38 PM
sager ?

where can i find this laptop?

do u use this laptop for editing ?

i have heard of alienware but that is out of my range

Rob Lohman
November 2nd, 2004, 04:16 AM
DELL Latitude 9100, 3.2 GHz Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB internal
HDD, DVD burner, widescreen 1680x1050 screen, external 160 GB
firewire/USB2 Maxtor drive.

Dan Euritt
November 2nd, 2004, 02:07 PM
fujitsu n5010, 3 ghz p4, 16.1" sxga+ tft, 4:3(?) aspect ratio screen, 768mb ram, 40gig 5400rpm hd.

take a look at the screen technology, not all laptops are created equal... when i got mine, the only two choices then were between the sony xbrite and the fujitsu crystal view... nothing else was comparable.

you have to be realistic about whether you really want to carry it around, or whether it's a desktop replacement... i use the external keyboard and mouse, and an external crt to expand the screen size... external hard drives and dvd burners as well, they are much cheaper.

Daniel Hollister
November 24th, 2004, 11:22 PM
another Mac user here. 1.33ghz powerbook g4. final cut pro 4.5. absolutely no problems.

Jeff Donald
November 24th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Mac laptop, G4 with 1Gb of ram and 120Gb external FireWire HD. Zero problems and a joy to edit on, except for the small screen. I'm used to my dual 20" desktop screens.

Takeshi McFall
November 29th, 2004, 03:17 PM
We use a Toshiba Satellite P35 series. It's one of the more inexpensive widescreen laptops out there. It is really a desktop replacement though.

While your hardware does affect system stability, don't disregard your software either. Using the very same desktop systems we found Vegas to be much more stable than Premiere. Of course, this is irrelevant moot if you go with FCP on an Apple.

Mike Moncrief
November 29th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Hello,

I am using an HP Pavilion 3010.. 1.5 GHZ Centrino, 512 MB of ram,60 gig hard drive, external 60 gig Acom firewire/usb 2.0 drive..external Sony DVD burner (when needed) 15.4 inch widescreen... Works like a champ using Vegas 5, DVD Architect 2.0, After Effects 6.5 and Lightwave 3D 8.0..

Mike M.

David Yuen
November 29th, 2004, 06:07 PM
http://notebookforums.com

Stephen Jackson
November 29th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I'm using a Toshiba Satellite P25 S505 it's more than a year old with 2.8 GHZ hyperthreading, 1.00Gig RAM 17" screen 60 Gig HDD and a multidrive DVD/CD writable/re writable

It's heavy about 10lbs sometimes feel like 20lbs.

I only use it when I'm on tour and editing on the road.

It works great with PPro Suite, Particle Illusion, and Boris Red. Plus the built in Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and SD card reader allows me to easily transfer data and upload .wmv files from almost anywhere.

Marcin Tyszka
November 30th, 2004, 09:51 PM
:)

Glenn Chan
December 1st, 2004, 12:18 AM
iMac is not a laptop. Maybe you mean iBook or powerbook?

2- for film editing pc laptop is worse right??
That question can incite religious wars so I'm going to leave it alone...

Marcin Tyszka
December 1st, 2004, 06:27 AM
Sorry for my english. Yes I ment iBook. Question was that if I decide to edit films on laptop is it better to get ibook laptop than sony or toshiba laptops?

Rob Lohman
December 1st, 2004, 06:34 AM
When you say "film" do you mean 35 mm film? Or are you talking
about video recorded with a video camera? If so, what format
(if you don't know, what camera)?

There are very powerful laptops on both sides. "Better" is such
a subjective term. It completely depends on what you are exactly
doing with the system, what you are comfortable working with
(what works for YOU!) and with what other systems/clients etc.
you need to work with.

I edit DV footage (video) on a DELL Inspiron 9100 laptop (very
powerful laptop which is a "PC") with Sony Vegas 5.0 and it
works like a charm.

Marcin Tyszka
December 1st, 2004, 04:13 PM
Well I also ment dv editing on premiere pro and vegas

Stephen Jackson
December 3rd, 2004, 07:32 AM
There are several good laptops in different price ranges that can edit video well.

It really comes down to how much you want to spend and what are the important features.

For me I didn't want a laptop with shared video memory. I wanted at least 1.00Gig of RAM installed, built in firewire, Wi-Fi, and I wanted the largest HDD I could get without spending more than $2100.

I suggest that you take a similar approach define your budget and needs and search the laptops that fit