View Full Version : replacement parts

Gene Crane
November 9th, 2004, 10:04 AM
does anyone know where I can get e replacemet viewfinder for an XL-1. The housing on mine cracked at that right angle bend. I went to the canon website and they have an improved version but it costs more than I spent on the camera.

Many thanks

Rob Lohman
November 9th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Hi Gene! Welcome aboard.

"Improved version"? I assume you are talking about the FU1000
B&W CRT viewfinder? That is not the same as your original finder
if you bought the complete package. Just contact Canon and they
will sort you out (clearly state which model you have), from the
CanonDV.com website (if you are in the US):For toll-free technical support, please call 1 (800) 828-4040 during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight. EST, Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., excluding holidays).
Toll-free TDD Support Line for the Hearing Impaired Monday - Saturday (excluding holidays) at 1-866-251-3752
Technical Support for Customers in Canada at 1-800-OK-CANON

Bob Safay
November 21st, 2004, 05:43 AM
Gene, that happened to me a few years ago. I VERY carefully put it back, together and I did it in such a way that I could hold it there with rubber bands. A month after that I sent it to Canon in NJ and they fixed the swivel without replacing the entire viewfinder. bob

Gene Crane
November 22nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
do you remember how much it cost you?
I was quoted 360 for a new one but I would be fine with a repair.
Thanks

Bob Safay
November 24th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Gene, it was several years ago. Again, they did not replace the entire viewfinder, only the swivel part. I think it was under $100. Did you try the temporary fix? bob