View Full Version : Focus/Zoom Presets?

Graham Bernard
September 3rd, 2002, 11:25 PM
Apologies in advance for being a Newbie, but is there a preset for focussing?

What I mean is this: If I've got a person in the foreground and one in the background, is it possible to make 2 focal preset settings and switch from one to the other to get the nearest person in focus and mid filming to press the second preset setting and get the furthest person in focus with the nearest person out of focus?

I'm propably asking such a naive question that it is making all you pros groan!

G

Barry Goyette
September 4th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Grazie

Unfortunately, there are no focus index (or presets) points on the gl2. All consumer video cameras use a "spinner" type focus ring that is not mechanically, but electronicly connected to the focusing mechanism.

You'll have to do it manually. Here's a few tips. The gl2 has very small chips, and thus has almost unlimited depth of field. You'll need to utilize the minimum fstop and zoom in quite a bit to get the kind of focus shift you want. Because you'll be zooming in a lot, take advantage of the foreshortening, and position your actors farther apart than normal.

The Gl2 has a nicely stiff focus ring which makes smooth focus shifts pretty easy to do.. It'll be a trick doing it accurately, but doable. Practice a few times, being careful to to not overcorrect so you end up hunting for the sharp point. I find the eyepiece viewfinder to be easier to focusa than the...but for this you might want to hook up an external monitor.

good luck

Barry

Barry Goyette
September 4th, 2002, 08:04 AM
I find the eyepiece viewfinder to be easier to focus than the... external LCD,

Sorry...thought it but didn't type it

Graham Bernard
September 4th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the advice.

G