View Full Version : Stabalization

Matt Hagest
November 22nd, 2004, 11:34 AM
I used a sony camcorder, and it seemed to have a better stabalization than my gl2. Is there a certin option that i need to turn on to have my GL2 take stable video, i have a shaky hand so thats why i ask.. thanks.

Ken Tanaka
November 22nd, 2004, 11:43 AM
The Canon OIS system is pretty good. In fact, Sony licensed it for their cameras' lenses at one time (and may still).

- Make sure you have turned the IS system on (see your manual).
- Shoot wider...zoom with your feet whenever possible.
- Use a tripod or similar mechanical stabilizer whenever possible.

Don Palomaki
November 22nd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Keep in mind that the greater the zoom setting the more difficult it is to provide image stabalization. Camcorders with lower zoom may appear to have more effective stabilization.

Mike Donley
November 22nd, 2004, 07:28 PM
A previous reply was probably right on. You must go into the menu on the GL2 and turn the stabilization on. Stabilization OFF is the default for a GL2.

This was hard for me to get used to doing because I also have GL1's. Stabilization is on by default for a GL1.

Mike Donley
November 22nd, 2004, 07:31 PM
Another thought: You can assign stabilization to the custom key. By doing so, you can turn stabiliztion on and off on the fly.

Matt Hagest
December 6th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys i appreciate your help! i have it set to default right now.

Brian Knoll
December 7th, 2004, 09:15 PM
The best option you can turn on for stabilization is called 'tripod'.

Most of the automatic features you use sacrifice quality for the sake of convenience. The lighter the camera, the more difficult it is to move it smoothly. Automatic electronic image stabilization compensates for camera jiggle by selecting a smaller-than-normal portion of the CCD to frame the image. If the image drifts or jiggles toward the edges of the CCD, the camcorder's processor selects the new boundaries as the correct image framing.

By using a smaller-than-usual portion of the CCD's active picture area, this function sacrifices resolution and steals pixels from the CCD. It delivers a picture that's less sharp than if you had turned off the feature and simply found a way to hold the camera more steadily.

Tripods are simple to use and not outrageously expensive. Something to think about anyway.

Graham Bernard
December 8th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Brian, I'm almost sure that the XM2 doesn't use less of the CCDs . . the Optical part of this function actually tilts in both planes to adjust. I was just trying to get to the diag of this, which I remember reading some 2 years ago . . but I do think that this whole process is optiocal electro mechanical rather than the "Automatic electronic image stabilization" you speak of. Personally I think the SOny stabilization ios better and tighter than my XM2. I feel there is too much lag between "registering" a moviment then correcting it. You want to try this with gentkly wagging the camera about with OIS on and off. There is a difference, bu the difference is also a jerky correction effect too. This is fine for in-car movements, but having now completed the best of 170 miniDV on my XM2, event shooting does take a stabilization takes - IMHO - a severe correction hit. The Sony is better. It is for this reason I'm contemplating a shoulder steadying device to: 1/ Give some more triangulation to the smoothness of operation 2/- Some weight to the whole rig and 3/- relax my shoulders from camera "grip" !

Grazie

Don Palomaki
December 8th, 2004, 05:31 AM
The XL1/1s and GL1/2 use a variable angle prism in front of the lens to compensate for motion. Thus it is optical compensation. Motion detection is basd on accelerometers as well as image analysis.

Per their literature, these Canons provide detection of slower levels of shake than other makes. The down side is slight lag and overshoot/correction at the start and end of a pan/tilt movement. Reason: It takes a bit of time for the camera to decide you are panning/tilting, not just shaking. This is mainly noticeable when shooting from a tripod, thus the suggestion to turn stabalization off under those circumstances.

Brian Knoll
December 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Graham,

I was just in my favorite camera store yesterday, and they've got some great set-ups. Over-the-shoulder, under-the-shoulder, behind-the-shoulder... lol... if you can imagine in they make it. I guess it all depends on what works ergonimically for you.

Just like Don was saying, I would notice that my GL-2 would actually induce movement when I had it on a tripod, and then I read about how it works, and I just decided to do without it. It forced me to be concious about being steady which in turn gave me a better final product.