View Full Version : Anyone sell their HD10 or HD1?

Heath McKnight
November 26th, 2004, 09:37 AM
I'm thinking about selling mine, and I'm just curious if anyone sold their HD10 or HD1 and for how much.

heath

Lynne Whelden
November 30th, 2004, 07:47 AM
I'm currently trying to sell mine on ebay. I first listed the HD10 along with CineForm's AspectHD for $2200 and it didn't move. Now it's at $1995 and we'll see what happens. Looks like a tough market these days...

Christopher C. Murphy
November 30th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Hey Heath,

I sold mine on eBay for $3100 - a great deal for me. The trick is to include lots of "free extras". Although, the extras cost you money they don't need to be huge items. I included about $500 worth of extras (audio mixer, stock footage, on camera lights, etc), but I ended up getting about $500-800 more for the overall package deal. (I mean $500-800 above and the cost of extras.)

On eBay people eat up "FREE EXTRAS!" - it tends to move your main product quickly.

Oh, a very IMPORTANT side note....the guy who bought my package was a real "d*ck". I used eBay's auto fill in feature - you plug in the HD10U and it automatically gives you a template. Be sure you don't do that if you don't plan to include every single thing that came with the camera. The manual has a page with all the original contents...including every cord, connector etc. The guy threatened me (yes, he threatened me in email) because there were a few things missing...like a few BNC connectors!

My advise is to plug in what you are sending, and don't let eBay list it for you.

Murph

Heath McKnight
November 30th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Murph! I may have a friend who will pay my lease every month until it's up, or drop the $2500 I owe.

heath

Christopher C. Murphy
November 30th, 2004, 04:54 PM
No prob Heath, I forgot to mention the guy lived near you! He was from Port St. Lucie (sp?) - I had to call the cops on him because of the threat. The police down there are nice....or should I say, nicer than up here!

Murph

Lynne Whelden
November 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Maybe that's where I went wrong. I listed in my ad all the things NOT included. Since I was the second owner, there were no longer any BNC adapters, core filters, audio and editing extension cables, nor even JVC's CD-ROM with their editing program. I DID mention the AspectHD as a bonus but like I said, nobody was impressed and no takers.

Christopher C. Murphy
November 30th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Lynne, just throw everything and the kitchen sink in. The list of stuff I included was stuff I could live without, but would definately benefit others just getting into the game. I threw in a few extra cables, a couple lights, stock footage, a power surge protector, a 10 pack of unused recordable CD-ROMS.....mostly stuff I had sitting around doing nothing. But, it added up to enough where someone bought it all.

Murph

Sten Newfield
December 12th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Hey, did you get any weird offers from Nigeria and/or users with no feedback? I've got a few offers to sell the camera outside the auction and well above the current bid, some of them didn't quite get past my BS detector. Just curious...

Lynne Whelden
December 12th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Now that you mention it, yeah, I've been getting hits and messages from Indonesia. Some guy who says he's buying for his client, can't use Paypal, do I want to end auction early....blah, blah.
I did throw in some extra stuff. We'll see if it works.

Christopher C. Murphy
December 12th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Sten and Lynne,

Watch out, all those guys are SCAMMERS. I had the same thing happen to me. This jerk bought my camera via "Buy It Now", and then proceeded to explain the same thing as you mentioned. My BS meter went nuts, and I reported the guy...but, of course that's useless.

The biggest pain in the ass of the whole thing is re-listing and trying to get a refund for the amount eBay takes. I did a lot of extra promotion on their site, so my costs were about $150. They refunded, but you have to read their policy carefully.

Anyway, hope that doesn't happen to you.

Murph

Lynne Whelden
December 12th, 2004, 08:35 PM
So I guess I'm lucky nobody's bought my camera??!!

Heath McKnight
December 12th, 2004, 10:19 PM
I won't offer BUY NOW on eBay when I list my HD10 soon.

heath

Christopher C. Murphy
December 13th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Yes, you are lucky a scammer didn't find it. It's easy for them to "Buy it Now" and eventually find some dummy to send them the item.

If you think about it...it's like fishing. The scammer casts out his line 100's or 1000's of times...and 1 out 1000 will send the item and trust the person. That's a pretty good incentive to a theif...you can rip people off while sitting in your underwear at home eating brownies.

Also, a note...it took me over a month to get my refund from eBay.

Murph

Sten Newfield
December 13th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Hahah, I guess the same guy from Indonesia is at it again. For what it's worth, if anyone's going to sell their camera, I can give you the user names to watch out for. Thanks guys for the warning, I'll be cautious =)

Heath McKnight
December 13th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Post it in the TOTEM!

heath

Lynne Whelden
December 13th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Question about your item

Here's the latest crap from this scammer...

Dear lwgear,

I am an agent interested in immediate purchase of your item.After several consideration over the advert placed on the website,my client has really shown interest in it and would really want to issue the payment in form of Cashiers Check.Will you be accepting a Cashiers Check? The cashiers check that will be drawn by my client would include the cost for shipping this item to my client and my commission would be included on the same Cashiers Check.We shall solemnly be responsible for the shippment of the item. Please contact me asap via email on: audiblerunz@fastermail.com for futher questions as regards this transaction or call me on +2348034617190 if you really show willingness in selling this item asap.Thank You and I am expecting your response asap

Lynne Whelden
December 13th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Question about your item

Dear lwgear,

Hello, I am very interesting. Can you charge direct credit card payment?(Not Paypal, becuase Paypal unaccesable from Indonesia) I am US citizen working now in Indonesia as a mining consultant. Can you ship it to my address in Indonesia? I'll pay all additional shipping fee. Waiting for your reply. Regard. Riyan

Sten Newfield
December 13th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Lets move this discussion to TOTEM.

Lynne: Bingo. Same story, same writing style, different name with the Indonesia guy, no doubt he's very interesting.

Dear Seller, After I seen your item and I want to order it, First I want ask about payment since paypal don't serve my country yet could you charge my card directly through your merchant account or credit card terminal machine cause I'm prefered use my card directly and also at this time I'm not interest again to other payment.Will you ship it to Indonesia via FedEx? I will buy your item for US$2500 and cover the shipping cost if you could charge my credit card directly. This my first questions and please don't hesitate to reply my question and we hope can do a new business international in new relations and I live in Indonesia. Hope hear from you soon. Best Regards, Simone

This fellow who goes by the name Linda Rapp, Raymond Ajiboye and Ronkmay whose son needs this camera for his final exams. I'm afraid he's going to fail. Behold:

hello seller Am Linda Rapp from NY, i saw the camcorder you placed on your advert which i will like to buy from you and send it to my son in nigeria for his final project examination that will commence very soon in nigeria. i will offer you $2500 for the camcorder, including shipping charges to my son in nigeria, if you are intrested in selling it to me, i will pay you via western union money transfer so i will need ur contact address to make the payment. get back to me ASAP

Oh, an offer to use escrow to protect the buyer and the seller. That sound legimate, doesn't it?

Hello,I am very interested in your item.Is it new? Selling price? I need right away because i intend to send it as a gift. Please email me the final price including shipping to City: Marbella, zip code:29600, Country: Spain via FeDex 2 day Express shipping. I will deal only with an escrow company.I do not have PayPal. The escrow company is a service that protects both buyer and seller against fraud. I will pay the shipping and escrow fees. If we agree on the price, we can start the escrow process today.Thanks and please get back to me as soon as possible.

The last one might have been a buyer who's genuinely interested, but he blew his cover wanting me to ship the camera first and then sending the tracking number to the "escrow company" who will then send me a "password" to "unlock" the funds on my BofA account. Man, if this doesn't ring your alarm bells then I don't know what does!

Stay sharp!

Heath McKnight
December 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Got it, too, after listing it on eBay:

"Hi,there. I'd like to buy your item.the price is ok for me. but could you please ship the item to my brother address in Indonesia for my x'mas present. So,please let me know soon. thank you . "

I almost want to fool him, like these guys did with a fake PowerBook to some scammers in England.

heath

Heath McKnight
December 15th, 2004, 09:58 PM
We should report this guy: bebeksunat

heath

Lynne Whelden
December 15th, 2004, 10:15 PM
That's interesting...about a year ago I was looking for a PowerBook and ended up dealing with that UK scammer. I reported him to ebay and they shut him down. Then I bidded and won a PB from another guy--turned out to be the same guy who had hooked up with someone else who knew slightly better English. Needless to say, I never paid (and he never asked).
I managed to sell my HD10 plus AspectHD on a third try. Only got two bids but it sold for $1625. I lost $400 from what I'd paid for it three months ago but I consider myself lucky (and consider it a rental fee).

Heath McKnight
December 15th, 2004, 10:30 PM
I hope I get more money than that. Someone emailed me privately, not from eBay and isn't a user here, so I probably won't sell it without further proof he's legit.

heath